Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ATV out of Talkeetna

Default ATV out of Talkeetna

Does anyone know if there are "reasonably" established ATV trails out of Talkeetna (prob going past Larson Lake) to Rainbow Lake...or better yet the east fork of Iron Creek? Please PM me if prefer rather than responding as a general open posting. Thanx in advance...that time of the year is rapidly approaching to switch from skis to wheels!

Default Trail

Check your PM's.

Default Talkeetna area trails

got it, thanx for the response.

Default clear creek

anyone know how to get to clear creek from talkeetna?

Default Up river

From the boat launch.

Default Talkeetna to Clear Creek

Actually there used to be (may still be ?) a local trail to a number of cabins between the railroad and Clear Creek that would take you at least most of the way. 1st you will need to cross the bridge which is (approx 46") wide that is for foot traffic, snow machines and wheelers - too wide for many of the newer (larger) 4-wheelers. Approx 3 to 5 miles down the RR tracks on the right is an old gravel pit where the trail originates. I have not been on that trail for many years and then it was on a snow machine. I am sure that there are others that frequent this forum that may have more precise info.

That's precise enough The end of the Clear Creek Trail up the tracks is private property. Lots of private land along the trail. No really good hunting or recreational ATV opportunities along it. It's another local trail best left to the locals

There is no practical way to get an ATV to the mouth of clear creek to fish. I think a drop off with Mahays last year was $45. Cheap compared with trying to get a wheeler up there.

Default humm

huh. well i dont wanna get to the mouth to fish i wanna get to the up stream away from the peeps. my dad wants to meet me up there with the boat. and just remeber where theres a will theres a way if i gotta get to the mouth ill find a way.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    That's precise enough There is no practical way to get an ATV to the mouth of clear creek
    Sure there is!!!!! I run freight up there and farther with my airboat for some folks, But I charge by the pound
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

It's another local trail best left to the locals
    don't let anyone discourage you Jesse....go to the borough office and study up on the private land....respect private property and stay on public land if there is any and go have a good time....

...I've heard of locals giving others a hard time on that trail and that is a bunch of crap if you ask me....heck, I think I'll go do the leg work concerning public property up that way for you and fill you in...give me a few days....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Talking thanx

thanx tjm. would love to get up there without problems. like i said i know theres a trail cause the guys i seen up there. it comes out just above the y (well it used to be a y) on clear creek.

Quote Originally Posted by jesseakhunter View Post
    huh. well i dont wanna get to the mouth to fish i wanna get to the up stream away from the peeps. my dad wants to meet me up there with the boat. and just remeber where theres a will theres a way if i gotta get to the mouth ill find a way.
    True as long as you have a chainsaw, good winch, couple hundred feet of rope and a lot of time. A motivated man can get an atv anywhere

You would stand a better chance of getting an ATV to the mouth of Clear Creek than a boat to the end of the Clear Creek Trail.

As for the trail. It is mostly an access trail for recreational cabins, permanent homes and mining. I love to ride my ATV. I love to ride all over the state. There are trails that I do not ride anymore because their use is primarily for access to people's homes. If we, as recreational ATV'ers, have respect for this it will go a long way to keeping us in a better light with the public. There is really no more reason for us to ride some of these trails than there is for me to drive to Eagle River and drive circles around one of the neighborhoods in my truck. Yes, both activities are perfectly legal, but they aren't overly polite.

Jesse- The trail you talk of comes off south from the Clear Creek Road and travels through private parcels along the ridge above the creek.

There is really no more reason for us to ride some of these trails than there is for me to drive to Eagle River and drive circles around one of the neighborhoods in my truck. Yes, both activities are perfectly legal, but they aren't overly polite.
    if the land is all private then there should be no tresspassing....if there is any public land/easments bordering the parcels then anyone should be able to use it and not be seen as impolite....I have no idea if there is public land up there (I will find out soon) but if there is, your analogy does not apply, not everyone has a boat but many folks have ATV's, if there is a public trail that leads up to clear creek then he should head up there and enjoy himself just like the hundreds of other folks....this area is no different than any other, just respect private property and take care of pubic land...

....I enjoy clear creek as much as the next guy, but I'd sure be a selfish A-Hole to try and steer someone away from the area just because I didn't want another guy up there, or heaven forbid drive their ATV next to my property...
    pull my finger....

You would stand a better chance of getting an ATV to the mouth of Clear Creek than a boat to the end of the Clear Creek Trail.

As for the trail. It is mostly an access trail for recreational cabins, permanent homes and mining. I love to ride my ATV. I love to ride all over the state. There are trails that I do not ride anymore because their use is primarily for access to people's homes. If we, as recreational ATV'ers, have respect for this it will go a long way to keeping us in a better light with the public. There is really no more reason for us to ride some of these trails than there is for me to drive to Eagle River and drive circles around one of the neighborhoods in my truck. Yes, both activities are perfectly legal, but they aren't overly polite.
    Tjm:
    I read AKDoug post and got a different interpretation. Not stopping and saying “hi” is rude. Have dinner; spend the night, think of my cabin, food, drink as yours. Use my cabin as a jumping off point; or I could be wrong. (grin)

The whole trail is not private property. However, there is enough of it that it warrants caution. The trail also does not follow the borough road easements exactly, which can put you on private property. Enough of the creek, on both sides, was staked during the State remote parcel programs back in the 70's that it makes upstream and downstream travel difficult without trespassing.

I'm not trying to hide the trail from anyone for the purposes of hiding a fishing hole. My intent was to inform the forum that this area is not a wide open public land area like Jim Creek or the trails off the Denali that aren't on Ahtna land. There are people that live year round there, and recreational cabins there, that value their solitude. Yes, I would discourage public use of the trail even though it's perfectly legal. Only from the standpoint that just because it's legal doesn't make it polite.

It's all moot for me anyway. My wheeler won't fit across the bridges. Ever wonder why the Ferry and Talkeetna railroad walkways are staying at 46"?

I certainly am not an expert on anything, but in terms of a fishing hole I think salmon is off the menu. Maybe a rainbow or so, but I think the regulations for harvesting salmon (is that not the big draw to clear creek?) is prohibited not far north of the talkeetna. I know this route and a wrong turn could prove to be an uncomfortable mistake. The state trooper once took a complaint from a wheeler driver regarding shots fired. I'm with AKDoug, why press it. Its obvious that the trail is for the people that live out there and not for recreational purposes. Our whole family rides wheelers and the last thing I want on my mind during a trip is "who am I pissing off today" Take it from a guy who maintains a private road marked as such, nothing is worse than somebody riding around "site seeing" where they don't belong. On top of that I would think the end of clear creek trail is near the canyon and most probably impossible to get to the creek anyway? Don't know, haven't seen it, not going to try it.

I'm not trying to hide the trail from anyone for the purposes of hiding a fishing hole. My intent was to inform the forum that this area is not a wide open public land area
    It seems like you have knowledge of the area, why not inform him of how to get to clear creek via public land (if possible) instead of just suggesting that he stay out of there?...Perhaps it is not another 'Jim Creek' but his intent was to go fishing, not go ripping around on his wheeler...

There are people that live year round there, and recreational cabins there, that value their solitude.
    We all value our solitude. But I'm not going to try to talk someone out of using a trail that passes my property just so I don't have to hear an ATV drive by. How utterly selfish is that?

Yes, I would discourage public use of the trail even though it's perfectly legal. Only from the standpoint that just because it's legal doesn't make it polite.
    Why would you discourage accessing the area? Should the property owners have the whole area locked up? How is it not polite to use the trail if you can stay on public land? Your analogy doesn't seem to fit. A person shouldn't use these forums just to get information and not give any. If you have the info to help a guy stay on public land you should help him access the area the 'polite' way by staying on public land instead of just 'discouraging' him from going....throw him a bone and tell him were the private land is so he can avoid it and remain 'polite'....

Bottom line is we are all on this forum to get assistance/information to pursue new adventures...If someone is reading these forums to get information but are not willing to help another guy out then they are a pretty sorry individual....it is give and take...
    pull my finger....

I have to agree with tjm. the forum is for help of trail knowledge and good info of equipment. thanx for the info guys

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast