Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 500 S&W handi-rifle

Default 500 S&W handi-rifle

500 S&W and 440 WFNGC in handi rifle.

Shot some of these today.

Federal GM210M primers, Hornady cases.

Cast Performance 440 WFNGC and Hodgdon LIL'GUN powder.

32 grains ----1757, 1777
    33------------1807
    34------------1823, 1833, 1841
    35------------1880, 1894, 1883, 1895

These babies have some recoil.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

I haven't heard of "Handi Rifle before so I assume it is a rifle chambered in 500S&W.

Can you post a picture of it and give some more info such as cost, weight and size please?

Default new england firearms handi-rifle

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Rifles/youth.aspx

I paid $259 for mine at Chimo guns in Wasilla.

You can get extra barrels for them too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo_Handi_500.jpg  

Default big bullets

http://www.lsstuff.com/ranger-rick/

have you tried these yet in your 500?

I have not seen those bullets yet.

I think one of those is made for the Handi-Rifle. A 600 grainer or something like that.

I would like to find those. I have not been able to find a pricing sheet for those bullets.

Default 500 forum

http://50caliberforum.proboards99.com/index.cgi

this is a neat site for all things large.
    I don't plan on getting a 500 s&w but the idea of a $250
    single shot rifle does intrigue me. I grew up shooting h&r shotguns (410, 20, and 10ga) and have several shakari (sp?) 44mag rifles that coupled
    with 240g cast sub-sonic loads make for great long range plinking loads. you know the velocity is slow when you can see the bullet's flightpath (rainbow trajectory) with the naked eye.
    I've been tempted to ream one of the barrels out to 444 marlin for some extra umph.
    my 2c. e.

Shot a few more rounds through the beast today. I wasnt getting very good groups but I am still working on it. I am suspicious that the barrel might heat up pretty fast. My loads kept verticle stringing down wards as I was shooting. I dont think anything was loose at that should have made it go up.

I will try more groups shooting only 2 shots at a time and letting the barrel cool.

What I have come up with is that I really like the 375 XPB's and plan on getting more of them for hunting loads. They kick hard but nothing like the 440's.

I am going to load the 440's down to under 1600 fps and may go for 1200-1400. They kick like an SOB and werent shooting very well. At least I am going to blame the bullets anyway. I have only found about a 1/3 piece of a bullet so far. They get pulverized on the rocky backstop. The XPB's will only lose the petals and always leave a large core even on the same rocky backstop.

I also liked reading John Taffins article on the 500 S&W handi rifle. He wrote that the 440 should penetrate like crazy at slower speeds while allowing precision aiming due to lower recoil.
    --
    The bullet on the left in the pics was shot into frozen mud at about 5 feet. The other one was shot today into the gravely backstop at 27 or 53 yards.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S5031078.JPG   S5031079.JPG  

Default wow

Are you going to try for moose or bear with the 500?

I want to use it for bear.

I though about using it for moose but I would really like to get a moose with my 454 Casull or my 41 mag.

Default Just sent mine off...

I've got one of the 1871 Buffalo Classics in .45-70. If you check on H&R's website, there's a place where you can order barrels. You have to send your receiver and forearm in to have the 'accessory' barrels fitted. I see that a .444 is listed, as well as .450 Marlin, most cost between $80-$110, plus a $15 labor charge.
    I've seen some of these little rifles chambered to .223, .204, .22-250, .243 shoot some amazing groups, and perform much better than their modest price might suggest.
    Also, if you send in a rifle receiver, you can have a shotgun tube put on, but not vice-versa, so you could end up with some really interesting combinations there, too, from a .410 to 10 gauge, .22 Hornet to .450 Marlin!
    http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.aspx
    Check it out.....

I was thinking about getting a 45/70 buffalo classic barrel and a 22" 308 win barrel. Also a 12 guage rifled barrel. I already have dies and components for the 45/70 and 308.

Maybe this fall.

I already have a bolt 30-06 to go along with my 500S&W and the 41 and 454 mentioned above. I am pretty set for now. I can always use my wifes 300 WSM too.

You going to bait bears this spring? That rifle setup would be about perfect for that type of close shooting.

I might bait I am not sure.

I am going to try a cub bear bawler call. I hope the bears will want to kill it even if they dont want to eat it. I have heard that predator calls dont work very well in the spring as the bears prefer browse to get there digestive system started.

--------

Also my Ranger rick 610 grain bullet are on there way. They were sent today. Those should be interesting.

I found the ordering info at this site. http://www.reloadersauction.com/500-...uction_details

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    I might bait I am not sure.

I am going to try a cub bear bawler call. I hope the bears will want to kill it even if they dont want to eat it. I have heard that predator calls dont work very well in the spring as the bears prefer browse to get there digestive system started.

--------

Also my Ranger rick 610 grain bullet are on there way. They were sent today. Those should be interesting.

I found the ordering info at this site. http://www.reloadersauction.com/500-...uction_details
    Ranger Rick is a member on this forum. Send him a PM. I have some of his 700gr bullets. Those are a hoot to let fly now and then. You really have me thinking about getting one of those handy rifles now. Same ammo for rifle and pistol. I LOVE IT!!!!
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

I can see I am gonna be having some fun now. I got the 610 bullets from Ranger Rick.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S5031105.JPG  

"Its not energy that kills, its holes".

You sure won't have to worry with the Ranger's big dog bullet. At least in front of the rifle. The trick may be, keeping your eyes open for the next shot. I would love a picture of your face, when you touch one off, with the big dog load. It might just be one of the pictures you just don't want to forget.

I have some of these same bullets from the Ranger, I just never had the dangles to load them.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Gee that is a pep talk if I ever heard one. Dont worry I am crazy enough to shoot them. I will be standing offhand holding on tight I know that.

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    Gee that is a pep talk if I ever heard one. Dont worry I am crazy enough to shoot them. I will be standing offhand holding on tight I know that.
    You need to do it prone, show the world what you are made of!

We need action pictures, just for fun.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

So far I still dont think the handi-rifle kicks more than a 375 ultra that I once had but I will see if I still feel that way after those 610's.

I just remembered a story from a few (or two) years ago. A friend of mine (friend of ours) in Fairbanks was having his troubles with a cow moose in his back yard. He had to keep his dog in the house, the old gal tried to stomp his dog when she moved into his yard. She would leave off working over his garden or working over his trees. When ever she saw him outside she would run him back into the house.

Finally out of desperation he loaded his .500 S&W to talk it over with her. What followed was a shot to her forehead when she lowered her head to come after him. Using one of the Ranger big flat nose bullets, it traveled all the way from front to out her tail end the full length of the spine.

He said he never saw anything in his life die so fast. Or get knocked off it's feet so quick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast