Thread: Seating problems W/TSX bullets?

Default Seating problems W/TSX bullets?

I have been having problems seating the Barnes TSX .30 cal bullets in the .300 RUM brass. It seems no matter how much I chamfer the inside of the necks, I still get some brass loss.

Am I the lone ranger? Same thing happens when seating in .30-06?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I barely chamfer the inside of the case necks and have had no problems seatin the TSX bullets in 300 rum 300 WSM or 30-06.

Are your dies set all the way down to contact the shell holder when seating the bullets?

If it is then you are adding crimp which is not necessary. Back the die off a half turn to full turn.

Crimping will shave some metal off as it is trying to push the bullet down some while crimping.

Just my guess anyway.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Thanks for the reply. I wish that was it. I use collate style seating dies that have no provision for crimping.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Do you use bushing dies for neck sizing? Could be the neck needs less tension for barnes bullets.

Not for the .300 RUM I don't. For the .30-06 I do. But that is not the problem. This is factory new un-sized brass. Both Remington and Federal in the RUM. WINCHESTER and Lapua in the .30-06 brass.

No problems with any other bullets in new or used brass with any other bullets, only with the TSX.

Maybe you got a bad batch of bullets. I have loaded at least eight different kinds of X bullets and have never had a concern.

The two kinds of TSX bullets I have loaded are 165 and 200 grain in 30-06, 300WSM, 300 Win Mag and 300 ultra.

Thumbs up VLD

Suugest a VLD chamfer tool Senclair works for me.

Big Al Had the same problem with Winchester 22-250 brass and nosler projectiles. Bought a LEE universal case expanding die,problem solved.

Default similar problem here

I just bought some winchester brass for my 300 wsm and am having problems seating my swift scirrocco's now. Never had the problem before. This is also new brass that hasn't been sized. Both of us might have gotten a bad batch of brass? I tried flaring the case mouth a tiny bit and that didn't help either. finally, I took the neck expander out of my full length resizer and wollowed(sp?) out the neck. Now they seat okay but who knows what the heck that's gonna do to my accuracy. I can rule out the bullets cause they load just fine in once fired brass and in new brass from my last purchase. This crap is like rocket science!!

I wish I knew the answer. I'm not use to these kind of problems, in millions of rounds I've loaded. if I was loading this stuff for myself, I would scratch the TSX off my list.

The chamfer I putting on these cases to reduce case loss looks like thunder. I think next time someone wants these bullets loaded. I going to tell them, "Take them somewhere else"!

Default New cases need resized too.

New cases are supposed to be run through a sizer before being loaded too.

I recently read this somewhere. I always just loaded them out of the bag.

Me too. Right out of the bag. I think I need to check the bullets more closely. Clearly something is not right.