Thread: Foot care question....

Default Foot care question....

I was hiking yesterday with 70lbs over three miles and my left foot started burning, it was the one with just the wool sock. (The right foot had a cotton sock (yeah, I know) between the wool and my foot. My right foot is somewhat smaller than my left.) The left foot with just the wool sock was promptly blistered.

My question is: is there a sock which is softer and more forgiving on the feet? And is there a balm or creme for feet which are burning in the boots? --Preferably scent free.
    I'd consider bringing some in the mtns.
    Thanks for any insights....

Are you useing a poly pro sock liner? If not try it I'll bet it will solve your problems

What kind of wool socks are you wearing? I have been hiking with 85lbs+ for several weeks with no problems in up to 80 degree heat up and down hills. I wear Merino wool socks only next to my skin. Merino wool is soft as a babys behind. I also wear two pair. One wics the sweat the other helps cushion, etc.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Thumbs up

Another one to try is the "Smart Wool" socks. I picked up a couple of pair from Outdoors and More here in Wasilla and really like them. They are soft, comfortable, warm and wear like iron. They were about $14 a pair if I remember right.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud
    Another one to try is the "Smart Wool" socks. I picked up a couple of pair from Outdoors and More here in Wasilla and really like them. They are soft, comfortable, warm and wear like iron. They were about $14 a pair if I remember right.
    If you look around on LL Bean.com you can get factory seconds Smart Wool socks for like $5 a pair. I have about 20 pairs and haven't had any issues with them in the 3 years I have been useing the same pairs. Thought you might like to see that. Also as I said before REI has their own version of Smart Wool socks the only differnce is they have something like 2% more spandex then the smart wools and a lifetime warrenty for $5. Your choice but I would check them out, I like them a lot.

Default Liner,liner,liner....

GOTTA go w/ a liner... There are many polypro liners out there...

I like the fox river x-static... SWEAR by em..

http://www.rei.com/product/1022604.htm

but I buy mine at the warehouse in Anchorage...

Thumbs up Spenco insoles

I got some Spenco insoles for my hiking boots at Sportsmans Warehouse in Anchorage the other month and they have made a world of difference to me. I now have them in my work shoes, hiking boots, and hip waders. About $20/pair and worth twice that to me. But I weigh 330lbs. I think this would be worth checking out. Even high end hiking boots come with cheap liners. The forementioned thoughts about Merino wool being good and liner socks would make a nice complement to a thick pair of Spenco insoles. This combination would fix your problem I have no doubts. Be sure to carry some moleskin with you in the future (if you dont already). That stuff can be a lifesaver on long trips.

Default thanks guys...

Great suggestions, all.
    I have poly liners and some new insoles I had bought from the Athlete's Foot. I hadnt yet installed them before my last hike.
    I'll get it all set up and give 'em a try...The blister feels good, hopefully the feet are toughening up and it wont revisit too soon. For those also searching for comfy feet, heres a pic of this new insole, looks like the real deal...
    We always bring the moleskin Dan, thanks for the reminder!
    Last edited by fullkurl; 10-24-2008 at 23:12.

Ya that's what you need. I forgot to mention that I use custom insoles myself. Probably the best thing you can do with any boot- hiking, skiing, etc. I use them in all my footwear. Gives your foot a solid platform with proper support and helps keep it from sliding around. Good luck on your sheep hunt!! I went on my last training hike yesterday. Time to rest up, and pig out for five days! maybe do a little cardio. Outta here on the 8th!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Two pairs of socks always, and quality boots. As soon as you feel the first twinges of the burn....STOP no matter where, no matter how inconvenient(as longg as its safe of course) and take your boots off and address your foot issues.

Good luck on your sheep hunt

Default Footware

Your blistering probably was casused heat and moisture get a good wicking
    sock not to tight that will wick moisture away. I use a very thin syntetic
    and a second synthetic to keep from blistering. Boot fit is crucial, I buy my
    hunting boots at REI beacause there return policy is the best.