Thread: Twentymile Goat Hunt Info

Post Twentymile Goat Hunt Info

Hey just wondering if anyone has any good info on the twentymile river or Lake George Goat hunt... Approach by boat? Density of animals? Timing? Thanks

I think both were unfortunately switched to drawing permits this year. I know that the 20-mile hunt was, and am pretty certain that Lake George was too. Every year I planned on heading up to hunt the 20 mile area, but something always came up. Next year came too late for me, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I think both were unfortunately switched to drawing permits this year. I know that the 20-mile hunt was, and am pretty certain that Lake George was too. Every year I planned on heading up to hunt the 20 mile area, but something always came up. Next year came too late for me, unfortunately.
    BooHoo... with your Chugach archery sheep permit in your pocket. It does seem to be getting harder to chase Billy around the mountain these days though

there is still registration bowhunting hunting both areas i beleive but is late.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Quote Originally Posted by AK NIMROD View Post
    there is still registration bowhunting hunting both areas i beleive but is late.
    True, it's on the books that they'll potentially open for registration hunting on November 1st, but if it's anything like Unit 7 lately, I wouldn't count on it actually opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    True, it's on the books that they'll potentially open for registration hunting on November 1st, but if it's anything like Unit 7 lately, I wouldn't count on it actually opening.
    How come? Is there that many goats taken with a bow during the late season?

ACTUALLY AREA OPENS 16 OCT (ACCORDING TO CURRENT REGS) FOR REGISTRATION HUNT.. MY GUESS AND IT IS ONLY A GUESS THERE ARE VERY FEW ARROWED IN THOSE TWO AREAS .......IF ANY....... NOT LIKELY (IMO)THEY WOULD CANCEL THAT HUNT.......HOPE NOT ANYWAY AS I'M PLANNING A TRIP IN THERE. BUT PLENTY OF OTHER AREAS TO HUNT IF THEY DO. AS I'M GOING TO GET A GOAT THIS YEAR WITH A BOW. HAVE 9 WEEKS PLANNED SEPT-DEC.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Nimrod - Thanks for the info. Admittedly I didn't take a look at the regs before posting. As for goats being taken, there actually have been quite a lot taken in those two areas the past few years, but that was before it went to drawing permit. A friend of mine took one in 20 mile last year. A few of us were hoping to go back the next week, but it was closed by EO.

Matt - There aren't many taken by bow in the late season in the few areas that are bow-only, but they still haven't been opening some of those areas up. Goat numbers are depressed in a number of areas of Southcentral, and the yearly take of nannies is exacerbating the problem. F&G is playing it pretty conservative with goats these days, so hopefully the numbers will start to climb soon.

Thumbs up Great Feedback!

Thanks for the info fellas. I did notice that it was a registration hunt for goats in twenty mile starting October 16, but was wondering how most people got into the hunt... by jet boat, fly in, hike, jet pack, etc...

Colby - Next time we run into each other at the Archer's Den, remember to bend my ear for a bit about this hunt. I've got some ideas on access.

Do you have a regular day/time that you shoot, or does it vary?

Talking

Brian,

Just went in today and bought my new arrows. Had to go to sportsman's to find my mods. Now retraining myself for my proper draw... what a pain--- God I love it! I'm going with G5 Montec 100 grains. I've got a pretty full week with my kids, but I want to make it in maybe Wednesday night. I'll let you know.