Thread: Licking Raw

Default Licking Raw

I think we may have talked about this in another thread but thought I would bring it up anyway. My 15 month old Lab is starting to lick the hair off above his paws. I have heard of this happening but why do they do it and what can be done to stop it before it gets to out of control ? Thanks in advance..

Default VET

Quote Originally Posted by bowtechshooter View Post
    I think we may have talked about this in another thread but thought I would bring it up anyway. My 15 month old Lab is starting to lick the hair off above his paws. I have heard of this happening but why do they do it and what can be done to stop it before it gets to out of control ? Thanks in advance..
    If not controled now your pet will develope (LICK DERMITITIS) and it will a persistant problem. Consult your vet now.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Yep, bowtech I would get your dog to a vet to rule out certain allergies. They can perform a VARL or a RAST test that narrows down what he/she may be allergic to. I have known dogs that also chew the tops of their feet out of boredom. In that case Bitter apple works on some dogs, if not your vet can send you home with some ointment that is a bit stronger than bitter apple.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default Vet

Took my GSP to the vet the other day and she had the same problem, it was a yeast infection in her ears. Whe would scratch her ears with her hind legs and the they would itch so she would like them almost raw. Getting better already.

Terry