Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help with a choosing a pack!!

Default Need some help with a choosing a pack!!

Hey guys,

I have an oppurtunity to buy either a kelty cache hauler or a cableas alaskan guide pack and frame which should I get?

both weigh about the same, I've heard good things about both, although i've heard the cabelas frames failing from other folks here on the forum. I have a friend that really likes his kelty, plus lifetime guarantee..

I don't have the money to spend on a barney's frame or I would.

Anyone have any thoughts or insight?? Pack and frame will be used for hunting moose, bear, and caribou.

Any help would be great! Thanks!

Default ttt?

Is this a post I should put on the gear forum??

I have both of the packs myself, The Cabelas is about 10 years old and works great for any hunting applcication, the Kelty is top notch as well. All the Kelty packs I have are great. You wont be dissapointed with either.

Default Packs

One word......NEITHER!!!!!

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

I would go with the Kelty. I have heard better things about them- and I also understand how it is to not be able to afford the coveted, heralded, you-can't-feel-the-weight-on-your-back Barneys pack.

anyone every hear of nimrod packs??? Someone mentioned them to me before, but I had never heard of them..

while we're on packs...what's the max load you can put on an external frame pack??? 100lbs? 150lbs? 200lbs??? I wouldn't think carrying a 200lb man would be fun. At least not for too long, but I figure who knows....i just might have to haul my buddy of the mountain!

Kifaru is the best and most comfortable pack I have ever used. It might not be exactly what your looking for but buy by far, hands down the best pack I've ever owned.. The Longhunted is a Great all around pack that breaks down into an external frame load hauler when needed. The Long Hunter Rendezvous is a 8500ci pack that only weight 6.7 Lbs and has a load capacity in excess of 180lbs. This pack includes there Hauler Pack built in. I included the link to the main site and also the link to the Longhunter Page. They make a whole line of packing items including Shelters, Packable Wood Stoves and Ultra Cold Weather Sleeping Bags these links are below also.

http://www.kifaru.net

http://www.kifaru.net/LONGHUNT.HTM
    __________________________________________________ ____

Shelters, Wood Stoves, Sleeping Bags

http://www.kifaru.net/TIPI.HTM

http://www.kifaru.net/stovspex.htm

http://www.kifaru.net/regulator.htm
    The best way to change someones mind is with a ROCK!!

Default Cabela's pack

Don't buy a Cabela's frame pack. The new ones lack the quality needed for heavy weight. I thought I would try one out last year and broke a strap on it in my house (thank goodness) just trying it out after I pulled it out of the box. I put two 40 pound bags of water softener salt in it to see how it felt and thats all she wrote.......one strap broke off. After looking over the pack real good, I could see that it just isn't built that tough. Stay with mountaineering packs for mountain hunting and just try to save the dough for a Barneys for the other stuff. My two cents.

thanks for all the replies guys, I went and bought a kelty cache hauler on reccomendations from some friends... Awesome...definitely a huge difference from the nimrod frame that I tried. I'm not sure if I wasn't adjusting it right or not, but the kelty is so much more comfortable loaded up, and a lot easier to adjust. I might take some free weights and load it heavy to see what it's like but so far I'm liking it a lot...it almost makes me wonder what a barney's frame would feel like...then again, I might regret trying one !

Quote Originally Posted by 454casull View Post
    ..... Stay with mountaineering packs for mountain hunting and just try to save the dough for a Barneys for the other stuff. My two cents.
    Do you really think a mountaineering pack can handle packing out a sheep, goat, mule deer, ect? I would have to think you are going to wish you had an external frame here as well. ???

Default weight limit?

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman77 View Post
    while we're on packs...what's the max load you can put on an external frame pack??? 100lbs? 150lbs? 200lbs??? I wouldn't think carrying a 200lb man would be fun. At least not for too long, but I figure who knows....i just might have to haul my buddy of the mountain!
    Soaking wet 10'4" brown bear hide packed for 1 1/2 miles. 205 pounds weighed on an airport scale. Tons of fun!
    Last edited by Alasken; 04-07-2008 at 09:14. Reason: leernin how to spel
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Alasken View Post
    Soaking wet 10'4" brown bear hide packed for 1 1/2 miles. 205 pounds weighed on an airport scale. Tons of fun!

Were you using a Kelty?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 1911-MW View Post
    Were you using a Kelty?
    Uh, no, I was using a Blarney's man pack.
    - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Alasken View Post
    Uh, no, I was using a Blarney's man pack.
    What I figured...

barneys for a mile or so, 1 moose hind quarter, 1 back strap, 1 rack of bone in ribs and 1 tenderlion, hind quarter was weighed at 154lbs, i didn't bother to weight the rest, gotta remember to add the weight of the pack in as well, usually adds another 15-40lbs depending on whats you've got in all your pockets. guessed it up around 225, not that it matters.
    a good barney pack will handle 250lb at least, it'll handle more than you can is the bottom line, i'd rather have a pack that'll fail after i do, rather than a pack that'll fail before i do...
    i'm not sure what the other brands are capable of and i'll probably never go find out.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Yeah Jake, I think what weight will fit in the Blarney's pack far exceeds my capacity, but young guys like you can handle that kind of thing. When I packed the 200 lb. it was the day after I turned 50. Old man still doing old tricks.
    - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    barneys for a mile or so, 1 moose hind quarter, 1 back strap, 1 rack of bone in ribs and 1 tenderlion, hind quarter was weighed at 154lbs, i didn't bother to weight the rest, gotta remember to add the weight of the pack in as well, usually adds another 15-40lbs depending on whats you've got in all your pockets. guessed it up around 225, not that it matters.
    a good barney pack will handle 250lb at least, it'll handle more than you can is the bottom line, i'd rather have a pack that'll fail after i do, rather than a pack that'll fail before i do...
    i'm not sure what the other brands are capable of and i'll probably never go find out.
    My barneys pinnacle pack in the new kevlar fabric is being built right now I can't wait cause my old eureka is getting VERY tired!

Default Kelty Cache Hauler

I've had the kelty for a little over 2 years now and couldn't be happier. I've hauled out 2 caribou with it and loaned it to a buddy who hauled out his caribou with it. My first trip was about 2 miles to the truck with approx 70 lbs. My arms never went to sleep and I could tell I was carrying most of the weight on my hips. This pack is still in great shape and has never once looked like it was going to fail on me. For some reason I tried the Barney's pack last year (why fix it if it ain't broke) and wasn't that impressed. Maybe It is more durable but I can buy 4 of the Kelty's for the price of a Barney's. If you want to haul out several 200 lb plus loads and are capable of doing so, more power to ya. That ain't my game. IMO, there's no pack in the world that magically makes 200 lbs feel like anything less than 200 lbs.

lol well it ain't magic thats for sure, but if your in a spot and you need to get it out, its nice to know your gear can handle it. my barney pack seems to ride the best in the 60-120lb range, those weights the pack rides with me and you don't really notice whats going on, once you top the 120+lbs you start to feel like someones pushing you into the ground...and it only gets worse, but the key comes when you have the 200lb and the pack don't hurt...its just heavy, most packs will physically hurt your body with weights like that, but the barney won't.
    Ken, on my 50th, i won't be trying to carry 200...that crowns yours my friend!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast