Thread: Scoping a 375 H&H

Default Scoping a 375 H&H

Hey all you alaskans, it's your favorite Idaho'n here. I am getting ready to scope my 375 H&H I had built for our move to the north country and am seriously considering the Swarovkski PH 1.5-6X42. Don't know much about his scope other than the quality of swarovksi. What you think? Any experience with this scope?

At the level of cost for a scope, I would look at the best. S&B has the Zenith in two different configurations that will serve you vary well.

http://www.eurooptic.com/Schmidt-Ben...SB&parent=XXSB

My personnel choice is the 1.5-6 X 42. However the one above is vary nice also.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default cheapo scopes

well, sounds like you can afford to get serious about optics...
    but have you thought about the cheap old Leupold VX III 1.5-5?? That's a great scope and sits atop MANY Alaskan rifles. It has a stellar reputation for ruggedness. I have the 1-3/4-6, Vari-X III. I like it a lot. Same deal, very tough and just works.

I'm not an Alaskan, but responding because you have'nt had very many responses yet.

The Swarovski you mention only has 3.5" of eye relief. I don't feel its enough for a 375 H&H. I would much prefer the Leupold 1.5-5X with 3.7 to 4.7" of eye relief (approx.-going by memory), or the Leupold VXII 2-7X with 3.7 o 4.7" of eye relief. I have the latter on my 375.

Default This one........

My opinion on this has changed over the years. I used to think the 1.5-5 20mm VXIII Leupold with the German #4 reticle was the way to go on a Three Seven Five. That is what my pre-64 .375 wears. But now the 1-75x6 32mm VXIII with a post/duplex reticle has won me over. Those reticles are available from the Leupold Custom Shop. I own both. A scope's ability to transmit available light is not the number one priority for me when I purchase a hunting scope. If I was sitting in a Leopard blind I might feel differently. Reliability, eye relief, weight, length and warranty are more important to me. So I will use Leupold VXIII scopes for my Alaska hunting even though I can purchase higher priced scopes that cost 2 or 3 times as much. A lot depends on what the majority of your use for the .375 is.

Thanks for all your your replies. My 375 will wear a muzzle break, so I was hoping that it would offset recoil enough to allow for a 3.5" eye relief scope such as the 1.5-6X42 PH. I have seriously been thinking about trying to complete an Alaskan Slam with this 1 gun and like the idea of the added light with 42 mm objective.

As far as the Schmidt & Bender, is it really noticably better?

What about the VX-7?

Quote Originally Posted by idahotrophyhunter View Post
    Thanks for all your your replies. My 375 will wear a muzzle break, so I was hoping that it would offset recoil enough to allow for a 3.5" eye relief scope such as the 1.5-6X42 PH. I have seriously been thinking about trying to complete an Alaskan Slam with this 1 gun and like the idea of the added light with 42 mm objective.

As far as the Schmidt & Bender, is it really noticably better?

What about the VX-7?
    My test for a scope to be used in the brush (you never know) is to turn down to the lowest setting (power) and to look at my feet. All the scopes in 1.5-? will do that. Do the same test in a dark room and it's then you will see the difference. S&B has made their rep on scopes made for poor light conditions for decades.

I no longer use Leupold on anything I own. Erector tube problems have caused me to move away from that brand.

I own more than a few .375 H&H's. None of them has been a problem for me with eye relief. I don't crawl a stock either.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I had a 1.5-5 VxIII iluminated on my 375 for a couple years, excellent scope, it now sits on my 458 Lott. I switched out to a 3-9 Ziess conquest this year. I have always been a big leupold guy but I have been pretty impressed with this ziess too. THe biggest bonus to leupolds is they are generally the lightest and most compact scopes out there. The ziess while heavier sits nice on that long win 70 action and had nice clear glass.

With 235-270 TSX it will shoot retty flat and longer shots might be possible. Thats why I opted for the 3-9 on my 375.

Here is my lightweight 375 w/ziess 3-9 conquest

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Mine wears a 2x7 leo vx2, works good, good eye reliefe, plenty of power for AK ranges.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default Leupold VXIII 2x8

My .375H&H started with a Leupold VX-III 2x8, and that was it for a real long time (15 years or so of hard use). The Leupold worked just fine, held zero, got the job done without one problem of any kind, and I never got bumped by the scope while shooting. Last year I bought a Swarovski Z6 1.5x10 (combination of a gift and I had the money); it now sits where the Leupold used to be. The clarity of glass is definately better and it's a super nice scope with a broader range of magnification options. However, I can't honestly say the practical & functional performance is dramatically better...but I'm not selling it, so hold off on the offers!!

Swarovski makes superb scopes, I like the rail ones myself.