Thread: Lightweight riflescope

Default Lightweight riflescope

I am looking for a new riflescope for my 30-06 sheep rifle. I am leaning pretty heavy towards the 3-9x33 Leupold VXII ultralight. But when I read through the forums, no one mentions these. The talk is all about Zeiss or Leupold VXIII, etc. Am I missing something? Are the ultralights not very good? It seems a natural to put an 8oz riflescope on a lightweight rifle rather than a standard 12-14oz scope. Can someone help me out here? Anyone using the Leupold ULs?

R,although I've never even seen one,other than pictures,I can definitely relate to the two reasons that hunters say they don't like them and why your probably not seeing them mentioned. Very short eye relief and critical head position in acquiring a sight picture. Somethings got to be compromised to achive light weight. But all's not lost,you can have a Lt weight scope,still have a Leupold,and save money to boot. Take a look at a VX ll 2-7x33. You'll save about $30 if you get the std plex instead of the UL 3x9 w/its wide plex. Or ,what I'd do,get the 2-7x33 VX ll w/long range reticle for $20 less than they want for the UL with it. All that plus GOOD eye relief,VERY quick target acquisition and a weight of only 10.5oz. Of course the ULs have been around a long time,so someones buying them. Just relating what I've read. Look before you buy.

til later

Default I'd got with a 40mm

I had a 2x7x30? on my rifle and it just doesn't cut it in the mtns. Some shots could be very long and the extra light gathering, field of view, power is important. I have the VXIII 3.5x10x40 on mine right now. I have a vxII 3.x9x40 on my other rifle.

Good thread. Would like to see more on what scopes people are using on Light Weight Mountain Rifles. For sheep / moutain hunting (IMO) you need to find balance between having enough scope and keeping the rifle light. I am looking at the Leupold VXIII 2.5-8x36mm or the VXIII 3.5-10x40mm for my future setup.....

Why do we think that only variable power scopes are the answer to all situation? On a sheep rifle, do you really feel you need the lower power and then being willing to give up on the reliability of a fixed power scope?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Why do we think that only variable power scopes are the answer to all situation? On a sheep rifle, do you really feel you need the lower power and then being willing to give up on the reliability of a fixed power scope?
    I think it depends on your vision and preference. Some just don't feel comfortable with a fixed power vs. having the option for more. I like the versatility of a variable power scope. Lower power 90% of the time, but sure nice to have that extra power when needed.

I have a 2.5-8x36 VXIII. 8x for 3-400 yd shot and 2.5x for hiking out with sheep meat on my back in Browniesville....

Lots of good scopes on the market. For what I wanted the Loopy fit the bill. Light , compact and just the right size for my Kimber MT.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Scope

For sheep and goat hunting a variable scope isn't required and could probably be better replaced by a fixed power scope of 10-12 power.
    However sheep and goats do not live in a world by themselves and their world requires that we tresspass on other lager animals domain.These animals live in the alders and brush that doesn't allow a high power scope to function. And since most lite weight sheep rifles aren't factory equipped with open sights the only practical option becomes a variable power scope. The question now becomes can we find a scope we feel is light enough and still performs to our desire.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Also you never know. I shot my 2005 sheep at about 20 yards. I was glad I could dial the scope down.

Default Fixed

I like a fixed for a lightweight rifle. My 308 wears a 4.75x Weaver (killed my first ram with this combo). I'm taking a 300WSM this year and have a FXII 6x. The fixed 6x is a real good way to go in my opinion.

I am putting on a 2 lb NF scope on my 6 1/2 lb rifle. I have no problem with trekking around in the mountains with a 9 lb gun (including ammo) especially if it means getting the function and quality of a NF. I will gladly ote the extra 10-20 oz around. I'm going with a 5 /12 x 22, if I lived and hunted in AK I would back it down to the 3 1/2 x 15. Fixed power scopes are good, but having more advantage on the lower and higher ends pays off IMO.

Default weight & bears

I'd go with the UL leupold or the 2.5-8 vxIII, other than that the 2x7x35 burris is a good one, all are lightweight for climbing with low power in case you run into a grizz at close quarters. nothing worse than shouldering your gun and then not being able to see anything but brown!

Been using the Leupold 3 x 9 Ultralite (as I guess they are current known) since the mid 80's on all of my light sheep rifles and is my first choice, next would be either the Ultralite 2 x 7 or the 2.5 x 8. With the 3 x 9 I have never felt myself to be disadvantaged and never wished for more. In the field I always carry it on 3 power but usually crank it up to 9 power for shots in excess of 150 to 200 yds.

Default Leupold

I am not a sheep hunter. I do know and have talked to lots of them in the last 43 years. The majority of them started shooting at their sheep at less then 300 yards. Any 4 power scope could work for that. It is no secret that I think the VXIII Leupold 2.5 X 8 by 36 mm scope is the best all around Alaskan hunting scope. Some friends use the VXIII 3.5 x 10 by 40 mm. So I would get either one of those with one of those fancy ranging reticles and learn how to use it. If you are in "sheep shape" a couple of ounces more scope won't bother you. I always scope my rifles to handel the majority of the shots I have taken. I don't scope them to handel the extreme long shot that might never or rarely happens. From all the stories I have heard it is "sheep fever", steep angles and unknown ranges that cause misses in sheep country. I think that is why most first shots are taken at under 300 yards and the last shots are taken "way out there".

I have hunted sheep in Hells Canyon in Idaho and trust me, an ounce feels like 10 pounds sometimes - With that said, don't use inferior equipment when hunting sheep, its to costly and sheep hunting is not a every day occurance. When I drew my tag, I was one of 3 drawn out of 1783 applicants.

With that said, my choice would be the 3-9X36 Swarovski AV...Little spendy but worth it.

PS...I shot my sheep at 406 yards and after the shot looked at my scope and it was on 6X power.....High magnification is not needed.

The leupold website indicates that the 3x9-33 has 3.0-4.0" of eye relief. I wouldn't think that is short maybe compared to their regular weight scopes. I just checked and the Zeis Conquest 2.5-8x32 is listed at 4.0" eye relief. I am also looking at the ultralight. Just wished they offered it n VXIII.