Thread: Anyone have a cut down Ruger 480?

Default Anyone have a cut down Ruger 480?

I have a 7.5" Ruger 480 that I was considering having cut down to a more reasonable 4" and was hoping to hear from someone who has already had this done as I had a couple of questions.

1-Any significant change in accuracy afterwards?

2-How did it affect the recoil?

3-About how much did it cost?

Thanks,

Steve

I've got a full length 480. I've given though to cutting it down but I, personally, have decided against it. I don't think it would be a bad idea. I would take mine down to 5" overall length if I was going to cut it. All that said I'm kind of curious how they balance shorter as well.

Off topic: I wish ruger would make a 5 shot version on the redhawk frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer:30 View Post
    I've got a full length 480. I've given though to cutting it down but I, personally, have decided against it. I don't think it would be a bad idea. I would take mine down to 5" overall length if I was going to cut it. All that said I'm kind of curious how they balance shorter as well.

Off topic: I wish ruger would make a 5 shot version on the redhawk frame.

Me too. With the 5 1/2" barrel. Maybe with the changes in the Super RH to five shooter we can get that. If were going to convert one, and I am, I'd make a five shot with a five or five and a half inch barrel on a RedHawk frame. About $1500.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I took a Ruger Super Redhawk .454 7.5 inch and had MagnaPort do some work on it.
    Trigger/action job, shorten barrel to 4.5 inches, bob hammer, port barrel, crown barrel, beadblast, engrave my initials, and I added hogue grips. I carry it in a chest holster.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I had mine cut down by Wildwest Guns about three years ago. No real noticeable difference except for the carry. Had the entire Wolverine treatment done, except for the venting. Really like the trigger now and the moon clip conversion is really the way to go. It is still snappy in its recoil but no where near as bad as the 454. With the new Hogue grips the recoil is very manageable even one handed. Jim

Default somewhat off topic

I had a 7.5" (actual length closer to 8-1/2") BFR 475 cut down flush with the ejector rod housing. Its now close to 4-3/4".

I like it much better now. Neither recoil, nor accuracy was changed to any noticable degree. Stan Jackson did the cut and recrown.

Nate

+1 for Magna-Port's mod on the SRH 480. Mine was cut to 4.80 inches, ported, crowned, trigger smoothed, finished sharp, with new sights and I added the Hogue grips. No loss of accuracy, lighter recoil, sharp report and handles the biggest 400 grain solids or 375 grain bronze Punch bullets with no problems. And six holes in the cylinder! I love it. The mods cost more than the original pistol, but so?

Oh yeah = carries in a beautiful cross-draw horsehide holster by Rusty Sherrick.
    Last edited by Red Moose; 04-11-2008 at 17:30. Reason: Added holster comment

Default Nice Looking Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaKodiak View Post
    I took a Ruger Super Redhawk .454 7.5 inch and had MagnaPort do some work on it.
    Trigger/action job, shorten barrel to 4.5 inches, bob hammer, port barrel, crown barrel, beadblast, engrave my initials, and I added hogue grips. I carry it in a chest holster.
    Nice looking pistol. How much does the magnaporting affect the pistol (recoil reduction, muzzle blast)?

I pondered this for a long time since I missed the boat on the Alaskan version. So, I finally did it myself and cut it down to 3.5" right at the edge of the warning label so I didn't have to mess with a 2-tone finish or leaving half the lettering on. Put the dx replaceable sight base on and LOVE IT! The balance is great and way more packable. I chronied 6 shots with 400 gr. hardcasts and H110 for an average of 1088 fps. It kicks a bit more but not excessive and held a shooting clay target at 25 yards standing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a 7 1/2 in .44 at the 'smiths getting cut down. I told him 5 1/2 but am wondering if I should go shorter. It's pretty much going to be a chest holster gun. What length do you guys like? I'm going to buy one of Johnston's guide choice holster. One reason I was going with the 5 1/2 was that it's a factory size and would be easier to find other holsters and such. Thanks