Thread: Looking for words of wisdom...

Default Looking for words of wisdom...

I am new here in Alaska, when it comes to hunting anyways, I am a young Airman stationed at Elmendorf, and have been here about a year now. I am looking at getting out and doing some hunting while stationed here, and want to start off with spring black bear. I am just looking for some advise, anything to help me out, I am not new to hunting, I am from Oregon, and have been hunting since I was 12, but am new to Alaska hunting like I said. I am looking to get out and do some moose hunting, caribou, etc. try to experience what i have here in Alaska while I am still stationed here for the next couple of years. Along with trying to learn the area myself, sometime this spring I will be taking a couple friends out, who are very very green when it comes to hunting, one of them is into backpacking, so he knows a little about the outdoors! The other, really has no experience what so ever... I think I maybe in for alot of work this year!! My plan so far, is to go out on one of our three day weekends (we get 3 day weekends every other week), go camping somewhere in the unit 14a or 14b, somewhere within a couple hours or so of driving distance, play around camp with my new 4wheeler alittle bit, get some wood, take the guys hiking 2 or 3 times a day for a couple days, kinda scout the area, if we see a black bear we see a black bear, and hopefully one or both of them gets a bear!! As for me, I am alittle more dedicated, and have a lot more patience. Anyways, I am just kind of asking for some advise, whether it be tips on teaching others how to hunt, or for someone to tell me I am a retard for even trying the area I attempting to hunt, or whatever, I am just trying to soak up as much knowledge as possible, I am always trying to learn, expecially when it comes to the outdoors!! I will be greatful for whatever advise I get, good or bad!! Hope to hear from you all!! Thanks alot!!

Phrase that has stuck with me "walk less hunt more" at first Alaska is so big you get "just over the ridge" syndrome and end up walking when you should be calling and glassing.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Stay close

I would try Eagle River valley out beyond the nature center. Good well developed trails and there are plenty of opportunities to glass for black bears on the south facing hills. I would recommend a lot of caution if you start thinking about Jim Creek – too many people out there doing the wrong thing and that is not what you want the new guys exposed to.

Respectfully
    Drew

I would sell the wheeler and use the money for fly-outs/drop-offs. You will be much more sucessfull. Be careful who you choose to hunt with. Taking the wrong people can get you in serious trouble. Have fun, spot and stalk black bear hunting is a great way to experience alaskan hunting.

The recommendation for Eagle River is a great one, as there are lots of bears back there and some excellent hiking. I do believe, however, that you have to have a hunter education class in order to pick up the registration permit for Eagle River. Maybe this has changed, though? I'm not quite certain without pulling up the regs.

Default Outdoors Show

There are numerous "seminars" at the outdoors show this weekend. Might be a good place to pick up some pointers. There are many good books written by Alaskans that should help you out a bunch as well.

Check out the sportsman's show this weekend, and bring your "green" friend to get him excited. Lot of good "how to" seminars there.

Tim

Default Alaska Wisdom...

Default Mentorship

Your at Elmo!, go find LT. Barron Brittigham (unless he's deployed already) he used to post here on the forum, He comes from a family that eat, lives and breathes HUNTING!!! I'm sure he has some pointers or videos he'll share with you.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Your at Elmo!, go find LT. Barron Brittigham (unless he's deployed already) he used to post here on the forum, He comes from a family that eat, lives and breathes HUNTING!!! I'm sure he has some pointers or videos he'll share with you.
    Is that Jack brittingham's son, or one of them?

Yes, indeed it is! Talk about lucking out and getting stationed at Elmendorf for your first assignment!

Default Elmendorf

That's awesome. I lived on the north (northwest?) end of Elmendorf in the late 60s and early 70s, in the old Whitney station house that was near the runway and right next to the railroad tracks. I used to shoot rabbits and ptarmigan in the woods near the house with a Crosman pump BB gun, until the MPs asked us to stop one summer...they stopped at the house one day when we were shooting MICE (doh).

Quote Originally Posted by scampman85 View Post
    I am new here in Alaska, when it comes to hunting anyways, I am a young Airman stationed at Elmendorf, and have been here about a year now. I am looking at getting out and doing some hunting while stationed here, and want to start off with spring black bear. I am just looking for some advise, anything to help me out, I am not new to hunting, I am from Oregon, and have been hunting since I was 12, but am new to Alaska hunting like I said. I am looking to get out and do some moose hunting, caribou, etc. try to experience what i have here in Alaska while I am still stationed here for the next couple of years. Along with trying to learn the area myself, sometime this spring I will be taking a couple friends out, who are very very green when it comes to hunting, one of them is into backpacking, so he knows a little about the outdoors! The other, really has no experience what so ever... I think I maybe in for alot of work this year!! My plan so far, is to go out on one of our three day weekends (we get 3 day weekends every other week), go camping somewhere in the unit 14a or 14b, somewhere within a couple hours or so of driving distance, play around camp with my new 4wheeler alittle bit, get some wood, take the guys hiking 2 or 3 times a day for a couple days, kinda scout the area, if we see a black bear we see a black bear, and hopefully one or both of them gets a bear!! As for me, I am alittle more dedicated, and have a lot more patience. Anyways, I am just kind of asking for some advise, whether it be tips on teaching others how to hunt, or for someone to tell me I am a retard for even trying the area I attempting to hunt, or whatever, I am just trying to soak up as much knowledge as possible, I am always trying to learn, expecially when it comes to the outdoors!! I will be greatful for whatever advise I get, good or bad!! Hope to hear from you all!! Thanks alot!!
    You got a 4wheeler and want bear? I don't mess with blackies but I'm out all spring and summer looking for Grizz on my atv. I got hunting partners but I have way more time off then they do. I'll be hunting Grizz from snowmachine till the snow is gone but late may or early june I'll be out there on atv and you're more than welcome to come with me. I got all the gear, satellite phone etc and know the areas I hunt very well. I'm a old man but I get around and have learned a few things about going down the trails. PM me if you want to go on a hunt or two.

Wow! talk about gettin' Lucky! His first year in Alaska and he gets a free Huntin' guide.

Well, I was going to tell you to try something that worked for me long ago, and that is: to accompany a person or persons who have been in Alaska for a a long time, and who hunt the game species you have mentioned. I did exactly that, but for the first year or two the guys who accepted me as their hunting partner were the hunters, and I was there to help them hunt. I decided to learn from them, and to wait my turn to kill a moose, never to jump ahead and "go for it" without checking with them. Since then, I have done most of the killing because they like to snore late into the day, while i get up early. But since we always share the meat in equal portions, each of us is more than happy to do the hard work it takes to skin and quarter the animals we kill.

I can see that somebody has already offered to take you hunting, and this is something people do for others unless they know you.
    -------
    dws: I can only admire what you have done for the Airman above.

Default Just my 2 cents

First I want to thank you for your service, I am a retired from the USAF and spent my last 17 years in the service stationed in Alaska (with no remotes). There is a great book you can pick up at the BX or at the show this weekend....Hunting in Alaska by Chris Batin. Chris will be at the show and giving a couple of seminars and if you get the chance to go to one of them GO!!!! He was in the USAF and stationed in AK and loved it so much he got out and stayed, he hunts and fishes all summer and then writes about it all winter.

Thank you again
    Moose

Default Much help

Thankyou everyone for all the help, it was much appreciated! And I do feel very fortunate to have been stationed in AK my first tour! It was the one base i wanted to go to most! and I landed it, my dad is very jealous! Also I am very proud to be serving, it is my pleasure! I do plan to go to the sportsman show this weekend, and I am bringing my friend who is still knew to my favorite sport!! I am also taking him out to the range here on base tomorrow, so he can get some time with his rifle, make sure its sighted in, etc. I am hoping to get him out there alot, before we actually decide to take things into field!! Anyways, thanks again, for all the help, I am sure it will all come in very useful!!