Thread: 45-70 Mag? What's that?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default 45-70 Mag? What's that?

I'm always on the lookout for anything UNUSUAL or Different to add to my case collection. (Like those plastic 223 cases, for example)

TODAY, I picked up what I thought was jist a nother 45-70 case, and was about to drop it, when I noticed that it had a SMALL primer. The case-head was/is marked “Levergun 45-70 Mag”

Is anyone familiar with this cartridge? A google search didn’t help me.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I have heard of a 457 mag but not a 45-70 mag.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

I believe it is just alternate headstamping used to differentiate loads that will grenade a trapdoor or the like. I don't believe (although I could be wrong) the cases are any heavier than a standard 45-70. A quick test would be to just weight it against a standard case. I think they also have small primer pockets for small magnum rifle primers.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

The 45/70 “Magnum” case was developed for Buffalo-Bore (if I recall correctly) to help mitigate the risk of magazine discharge in the Marlin rifles. If you have ever had a Marlin 444 or 45/70 apart, you will remember the little “bulge” or “belly” that is in the magazine tube just forward, and on the opposite side of the loading port. On at least one occasion with early Buffalo-Bore ammunition the cartridges lined up in such a way, with the “belly” or ‘Bulge” in the magazine tube as a contributing factor, to allow the front corner, metplat if you will, of the bullet in the “bulge” to perfectly align with the primer on the cartridge in front of it. The result was a Magazine discharge that severely damaged the rifle, but did not cause any significant injuries to the shooter (so the story goes). To correct this, or at least reduce the likelihood of a reoccurrence, Buffalo-Bore, and others (Corbon I think) have gone to the 45/70 “Magnum” case that has the small primer. As I understand it, there was also a design change to the metplat on certain bullets used by those manufactures.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I forgot to mention; in regards to other differences between the 45/70 and 45/70 “Magnum” cases, I have sectioned both in half and could not discern any appreciable difference in rim or wall thickness. That said, I did NOT weigh them before I got all crazy and sanded them in half, but would expect that they weigh very close.

I think I only have two or three of these cases in my pile, but you are welcome to them if you want them, as I do not really like having the same cases with two different primer pockets laying around.

I do not think that at this time at least, that these cases are available for “over the counter” purchase at the component level. The only source that I know of, is once fired Buffalo-Bore or Corbon rounds.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Thanks Alangaq:

That satisfies my curiosity.

I have the one which is all I need for my case collection.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Yepper, Buffalo Bore. I was baffled big time while putting primers in 45-70 cases and wasnt able to get the primer in.