Thread: Talkeetna River

Default Talkeetna River

Is fish creek a trib off Clear Creek, which is a trib off of the Talkeetna River accessable by river boat? If so how long of a ride is it, and how do you find it?

clear creek runs into the talkeetna i think it's about a 20min. boat ride how to find it just look for the crowds. the best way to find it and this is how i would do it pay mahays to drop you off up there one day and take a hand held gps then do it yourself off the gps or find out if they are running up there the day you want to go and follow them up but don't tell them you want to follow them they would rather have you pay them to drop you off. but the river is tricky and has lots of braides in it so becareful and the current runs strong on that river had a buddie come down that river and check his gps and with the current gps said 59

depends on the year and how high clear creek is, fish creek flows into the north channel of the Y on clear creek if CC is high enough to fill the Y the last few times I've been there though the north part of the Y hasn't been there
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Mahays can drop you off at CC and you can just walk to fish creek. I did this once in 87. Caught reds kings rainbows dollies grayling around June 23rd.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

What do they charge to run you up and bring you back?

Unhappy Clear Creek

I wanna' say that it's about $55/person.

Clear Creek used to be an amazing place to fish for Kings / Silvers / 'Bows...but over the years, it's become wayyyy too crowded. During the peak of the Silver run, it's not uncommon to 50-60 people daily at the mouth of Clear Creek-Talkeetna River.

You can still get away from the crowds by hiking (about a mile) upstream to Fish Creek...very few people venture this far. Oh, yah, bring a BIG gun with you too..TONS of bears!!!

Camping is popular there, but avoid the weekends as good sites will go fast.

I've thought of fishing kings with a drop-off at the mouth of Clear, but didn't want to deal with the crowds. Is Fish open for Kings as well, or just reds and silvers?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I've thought of fishing kings with a drop-off at the mouth of Clear, but didn't want to deal with the crowds. Is Fish open for Kings as well, or just reds and silvers?
    If it's beyond a mile upstream, I think it's closed for Kings, but don't have the regs handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    On page 31 it sais that it is open to fishing for kings within 2 miles of the mouth of clear. I don't know if fish is within 2 miles, but if it is then go catch a few kings.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default fish creek moved

Ok I have gone up every year in August for some time. However a few yrs ago when the flood washed out & rechanneled CC fish creek was almost completly dry for a season or two. The last couple years with the, low water you can easily walk there from the confluence of the river, right where the island with the camp / cabins on it. Now here is where the strange part comes in. Last year there were a couple signs (homemade) that were posted stating fish creek now starts were the island with the cabin /cmps are on the main river. This used to be CC. Now cc is only where the dolly hole is refered to & this upper channel is supposed to be all fish creek. How someone could change this I don't know, & why didn't fish & wildlife say anything cuz the regs are different for fish creek.
    It used to be fish creek was either fly only or single hook & probably still is but many don't realize it. I think the local people there just want to keep this area a little more protected for spawning ( as thats what fish creek was) & with the low water the number of fish that make it here has been reduced.
    Brian, I don't know about kings in fish creek but reds weren't open last year & the water is low execept in 2 spots where the fish pool so its not the same.
    You would be better off to walk up what is now CC & look for kings, rainbows & silvers. You can still get away from the crowds eaisly enough.

Default Clear Creek-Fish Creek

Agree with Ak Powder Monkey and Ak Marmot above. CC used to split above Fish Creek, forming the Y. Since 2006 flooding, Clear Creek hasn’t joined Fish Creek at all. Large log and gravel pile at the “Y” leaves Fish Creek emptying directly into the Talkeetna River. Another new development is sale of land along the north bank of Clear Creek. The new owner had the land posted off last year but you should still have access to the shoreline close to water.

Mahays or Tri River can drop you off at mouth of CC or at mouth of Fish Creek, 500 yds or so upstream. I sometimes fish/camp with a dog, so travel often with TriRiver.

Hike up FC (from junction with Talkeetna R) is easy now. Also as mentioned, there’s usually bear sign before the Y. If you hike up CC from the Talkeetna, I’d favor the north bank.

Also, as I understand it, the regulations for FC limit fishing to single hook artificial only and no retention of Rainbows. This is different from regs on CC. Good luck.