Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you tote your crap?

Default How do you tote your crap?

How do you tote your crap around?

Fly vest? Chest pack? Jacket? Backpack?

Been debating which I want to invest in...

Default vest...

I find that with the right vest, I can carry everything I need. While it depends on where you are and what kind of fishing you are doing too. There are backpacks made that will carry a few fly rod tubes in holes made for them, fishing supplies, snack/water, rain jacket, etc.. I saw one on the Orvis website the other day. Some others make them too. Check out Fish Pond. They may have one, they make good stuff. I got my vest from Cabelas and it will hold 6 of the waterproof C&F boxes. But it is a 3X. The key to storage is having a vest with large lower outside pockets as well as pockets on the inside. Remember to get one with a large back pocket. Mine is mesh and will easily hold an extra spool/reel, and a lightweight packable rain jacket and ball cap. I use the magnetic release for carrying the net on my back. Depends on the kind of fishing I am doing as to whether or not I use it. I find the large front chest pocket on my waders is an ideal place for gps or my Pentax waterproof camera. Being somewhat of a hick, I also keep my can of Kodiak there too. That camera is great for taking fish pictures. High quality images too. I think it is called a Pentax W20 or W30. Cabelas has a good selection of fly vest. I like the mesh ones as they dry fast when they get wet and are lightweight. With high quality nippers, nail knot tool, and extra leaders in the smaller chest pockets, I find myself well prepared. I also throw containers/packs of assorted split shot in my chest pockets. I don't like the kind that attach with a small chain as they bounce around while I walk. I have given up on hemostats for fishing Alaska. I used the best German made ones I could find. Alaska fishing lends itself to using pliers. I got a middle of the road pair of DR. Slicks. They are nice and come with a cordura holster. You could spend much more on Van Staal or Ross Pescadors. Either way, a good pair of pliers is essential if you ask me. I will save my hemostats for my North Carolina fishing.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I put my flyboxes in my waders right above the wading belt and my tippet, nippers, forceps, floatant and fly patch on my lanyard. If I think I might keep a fish I bring my backpack with a fillet knife and some trash bags. If its raining I'll put my stuff in the pockets of my raincoat. If I have extra stuff I also really like a gear bag that you sling over your shoulder so that it is easily accessible while I'm wading.

Just know that vests are the sign of tourists/gapers and in Juneau weather are mostly dead water weight.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

boy if you seen me in 95 to about 2000 you'd have witnessed a live tackle store moving up and down the rivers.

i've down graded from a 30lb back pack to a fanny pack for all but salmon. And even then I can usually get away with just my fanny pack full of gear. I dont get to wrapped around the axil about tippet for salmon, pike, or anything else other then grayling. Even trout spools of line is cheaper. So bring a few extra leaders, and a spool or two of trilene "tippet" A box or three of flies, the bare essentials and go bang fish.

If I do get carried away I'll carry a small daypack. or small day pack and fanney pack.

On the raft I use a rubber maid. Mainly for backbouncing kings it's nice to cut up eggs on the lid, easy to clean off, easy access etc.

I've paid some attention to chest packs. Have gotten to use one chasing lake superior steelies and for the application it does work well. Again it's a minimalist game there. A small dispenser with multi colored yarns, box of hooks-sinkers-swivels, scissors, foreceps and leader material. The back pack with a removable chest pack might be nice however I hate carrying while IN the water anything more then my fanny pack.

Vest I can comfortably carry everything I might need for the day, don't have flies spilling into my boots(Used the brim of my hat and shirt pockets when I was AKPM's age) and I don't have to keep back tracking for a bucket, which is what I use for salmon about 85% of the time.

Sayak loves vests he even had me custom make him one out of gold and purple satin with yellow piping and epaulets. I think he still wears his old fishing hat with it, a crushed purple velvet tri corner wasn't it? Just beating you to it.

PS thought you were asking bucket or baggy in "pack out your poo" areas
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I use small medicine botttles from prescription meds for a lot of small stuff. they are see through, durable, keep stuff seperated and fit wherever.

I use a vest for my flies/pliers. I make my husband carry the beer and everything else

Default To save time...

just buy one of each (vest, fanny pack, chest pack, daypack) then mix and match to find what's right for you . More variations possible depending on whether you're carrying wading jacket, lunch, a pistol, wading staff, wearing flotation and maybe whether your prefer belt or shoulder holster. You’re right – it can get to be a lot of stuff.

Most find a vest the simplest way to start. If the vest has a large back pocket where you can stuff a jacket and lunch, it'll get you started and they aren't expensive (Cabelas now has quite a bit of stuff on-sale). Consider rain: Quick drying material? Also if you want the vest to fit over your wading/rain jacket, try it on over the jacket. Consider ventilation: If you're fishing in July/August, I found the better ventilated styles easier to live with, esp if there's much hiking involved - just plain cooler. I settled early on fanny pack (flyfishing versions have built-in retractors and I glued on some velcro for a fly patch).

For me the chest area is best kept clear. Lanyards/chest packs/chest holster tangled too much with my flyline or each other (remember every layer on means another layer off for those bathroom breaks). But most of my friends fish with vests (one layer on one layer off). What I carry varies with need, but I put most everything on the same belt (fanny pack, bear spray, wading staff), wear a backpack (lunch, raingear) and shoulder carry when carrying my pistol. On pistols: two friends fish with hip (not chest) waders and use belt holster quite comfortably. Try on gear if you can - some gear is heavier.

Have fun. Check out Cabelas sale - some pretty good prices.

Get a good jacket with those cuffy-things to keep the water from running down your arms....well worth it.

I've got a simms guide jacket that is great. Way too expensive...but great. I've put it through hell in the last 3 years and it's still hoding up pretty well. Dosent have very many pockets, but what the hell do you need 30 pockets for? Waterproof zippers would be nice, but not for another $100...

I like the chest pack / backpack combo that allows either to be used separate of the other.

That way, I can ground the backpack on the bank and take the few things with me that'll keep me on the water.

I stash the lunch, survival kit, rain gear, coffee and extra fishing items etc... in the pack that don't need to be on the water with me all the time.

I use 3 different vests's. One for trout,char,grayling. One for salmon. And another for float tubing lakes. The lake vest is of course a zip off "shorty". Remember that you "get what you pay for". A cheap one will always give you problems with strings in the zippers, a sore neck (if ya carry as much as I do, and of course they just don't last like a quality vest will. I have been using the same Simms and Cabela's vests for 10 - 20 years now and they look like they have at least another 10-20 years left in them. Now the little boxes and other container's I use with the vest is another story...

people who reccomend vests here live in drier climates, trust me vests are not the way to go in Juneau.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    people who reccomend vests here live in drier climates, trust me vests are not the way to go in Juneau.

Thinking I'm just going to stick with a pack...

Default Filson strap vest

I have been using a Filson strap vest for many years now and absolutely love it. It has plenty of pockets and a small pack on the back. It keeps the chest basically open so no fear of anything catching on it. Relatively light weight (when you don't fill the pack with beer) and doesn't make you hot since front and sides are open. A little expensive, but in my opinion, well worth it.
    Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

Those of us that use vest's also know how to use rain gear if it gets wet...

I'm thinking I'm just going to use a nice daypack I have because I already have it, and it saves money....Figure I can put a ton of junk in it as well as a few beers if needed (Which of course they will be)

Default I use this

http://www.bagking.com/Merchant2/mer...oduct_Count=11

Its an expandable daypack - I can carry everything - or nothing at all. Really nice features. I put my vest and jacket in it for hiking. More functional and performs better than packs 4 times the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    Those of us that use vest's also know how to use rain gear if it gets wet...
    Why wear something extra though? I mean down here you are in raingear a lot might as well keep your stuff in it anyway... Plus I hated putting on a wet vest...

OneLung, seriously look at a bag with a shoulder strap, it makes it a lot easier to get into your gear while wading.

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    How do you tote your crap around?

Fly vest? Chest pack? Jacket? Backpack?

Been debating which I want to invest in...
    Strangely enough, in the holding tank........your choices are kinda gross.

And Juneau hardly represents Alaska......it's the part of BC Canada didn't want!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast