Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forum headaches

Exclamation Forum headaches

I am sorry about the slowness in the forums. I know that it is so slow as to be unusable at times.

We are working on a solution to this. We thought we had it earlier today, but no such luck. We'll dive back into it tomorrow.

I think we're going to find that once we find the solution, things will settle down and the forums will be much more stable than we have seen in many weeks.

David

Well the problems are continuing. I could not log on Monday evening for about a half hour, Tuesday evening I couldn't get on then 15 minutes later I could but it was sloooooow. Last night from about 6 to 9:30 I could not log on getting a "server problem" message. (all alaska time)

Lightbulb Important server change

As part of our effort to smooth out forum operations, we have established a "governor". On an engine, the governor prevents operating over a certain speed.

In this case, the governor should disallow additional forum visitors when server load reaches a preset level. In theory, this should make the experience better for users who are already in.

I don't know what this looks like. Please let me know how this works for you. I'll be checking the forums frequently, but I can't see everything, so any reports you have will help. I'm interested in hearing about "the downside."

There must be additional server optimization settings we can make, and we're working on that end.

David

Unhappy

last night about 6:30 or so the forum "froze" on me in mid-post...that was it, i couldn't get back on for about 4 hours.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I have been unable to get on after about 6:30 pm each of the last 3 evenings.

Default I can't even get past the welcome page

FYI,

You all are doing better than me - I can't even get past the welcome page to the index page to the forums (that's the page that used to show up with all the different forums - no can do - doesn't go there anymore - ends at the welcome page). And, I can't log in from the welcome page either. This is what I did to get here and post this message -

a) got to welcome page, tried to log in, wouldn't do it, so half way thru,

b) I canceled the action, it says, "sure you want to log out", I press yes;

c) At the logout page, there is a box that allowed me to choose a forum, I chose this one;

d) I pressed the post reply button, was prompted to log in, which it did do successfully from that prompt;

I tried a couple computers around town - some with real minimal restrictions - so I don't think its a security/privacy setting issue.

David, I'm really beginning to think my wife has been in contact with you. I will say that I don't hear: "you're on that computer way too much!" near as often!!!!
    EricL

Default I'm workin' on it...

Yikes! That'll never do!

I have turned the "governor" down a couple of notches just now. Let's see if I can get this set right.

The longer term solution is to find the right combination of server settings, not forum settings. But that is proving difficult.

Tell her I'm workin' on it....

David

David, I'm really beginning to think my wife has been in contact with you. I will say that I don't hear: "you're on that computer way too much!" near as often!!!!

Tonight it has been "flying awsome"! It has been the smoothest/fastest I have ever seen this site work! The last 3 nights was very poor, but if it stay's like this I think you've fixed the "glitch"!

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    Tonight it has been "flying awsome"! It has been the smoothest/fastest I have ever seen this site work! The last 3 nights was very poor, but if it stay's like this I think you've fixed the "glitch"!
    ...he said right before the latest crash.

No way, I can get on for about 10-15 minutes then it locks up and I cant get back on for 30min to an hour (longer sometimes). Somethings messed up bad! Even guys I work with asked me if the forum was no longer cuz they couldn't view it regardless of being logged in or not, gives them the error message from internet exporer.

I suspect it may be a bit more than in need of some "fine tuning". When it's bad, its real bad and when its good, its not too bad....IMHO

Talking hey, things are looking up..

only crashed for a couple hours or so tonight...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

This is a test message to see if I can log onto the outdoorsdirectory....

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    ...he said right before the latest crash.
    Yes I did, I jinksed it! It wasn't 5 minutes after making that post it crashed lol. I couldnt log back in to say boo about it eigther!

ok,

this is what happened. I was able to successfully post, but then I could not go to the forums home. I then logged out, and the forum jump will take me to any page EXCEPT the forum home. So, for me, it appears to be related to the forums home being locked up. And something is also screwed up on the logout - it doesn't seem to complete that either.

Default Moderator approval

I have tried post several questions and responses to threads over the last week or so. It always says that my post must be approved by a moderator, okay I get that...not one of my posts has been posted. How long does it take for moderator approval?

Shaggy - Sent you a PM

Default Cache?

Hi Steve

Try clearing the cache on your browser, closing the window and opening again.

If that doesn't fix it, let us know what operating system and browser combination you are using.

David

Quote Originally Posted by stevesch View Post
    ok,

this is what happened. I was able to successfully post, but then I could not go to the forums home. I then logged out, and the forum jump will take me to any page EXCEPT the forum home. So, for me, it appears to be related to the forums home being locked up. And something is also screwed up on the logout - it doesn't seem to complete that either.

Default Accelerator software added, strange problem remains

Man1c M0g installed some software yesterday in an effort to alleviate some of the problems we have been seeing. The software did in fact help with server load, but there still seems to be a hangup. Here is his report:
    This is wierd. I installed eaccelerator and the loads on the server have decreased massively. That said, it seems from the TOP map that many processes are just waiting, as if there is a throttle somewhere that’s limiting the number of processes and/or resources that the server can allocate to you. I’ll investigate further and see what I can dredge up...
    He will next try a manual reinstallation of some of the vBulletin components to see if one of them may be causing a problem.

David
    Last edited by Webmaster; 04-07-2008 at 00:05.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast