Thread: 30'06-220gr load

Default 30'06-220gr load

Does anyone have any experience or use a 30'06 with the 220gr load? What's your experience with this load in the field? Any load data would be appreciated. Thanks!

I have not tried any 220gr yet as I prefer to shoot 180's at everything. If I was going to try a 220gr load I'd probably start with H4831SC or RL22. I don't have a loadbook handy, but I'm guessing they'll be compressed. My 180gr loads with 4350 are compressed.

I guess if I was going brown bear hunting with a -06 I'd look at loading some 220's, but if I was hunting moose I'd stick with the 180's. But that's just me...

-JR

I also shoot 180 grain's and have killed three moose with them w/o problem. Nosler Partitions seem to get the job done and maintain accuracy.

Default 220 partitions

A couple loads that I tried.

I worked up to these to be sure.

220 partition

R22 57.5 = 2402
    H4350 53 = 2427
    H1000 61 = 2371
    H4831sc 58 = 2412, 2390

H414
    50----2530 will try these again starting at 48 grains to 50 grains.
    51----2436 too hot
    52----2408, 2513 too hot

Shot some more H414 loads today and got
    48---2287
    49---2362
    50---2372, 2377, 2349

--

The H414 loads seem squirrelly to me (I did not use mag primers it might make a dif.).

I think I would go with the H4350. It kicks less with less powder.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Terminally they are an impressive round to watch hit a bou. My dads friend proved that even with a heavy for caliber bullet a bad shot is still a bad shot. His first round was a quartering toward shot very close and he nearly tore the caribous right front leg off, the bullet impacted the ball socket but she didn't go down. The second round was broadside and it about folded her in half. I think it is overkill (if there is such a thing) for bou and sheep but I would certainly shoot them anywhere I did not expect long shots.

I have used 220's a lot for deer down in south east just because of the brown bear populations. However I did some research this fall when i was going on my moose hunt and found that the 220's are slower and have less energy than the faster 180's. The foot pounds in the 180's was higher than the 220's. I was shooting one of the slow expanding bullets and loved it. Shot the moose in the front shoulder at 150-200 yards and the bullet held together, broke both shoulder blades and I found it just under the skin on the far side. So I am totally sold on the 180's.
    I have seen the 220's leave big holes in deer at close range but they drop so quick after 100 yards.
    Thanks
    Carl

Smile

I like your thinking. When I started hunting I liked accuracy. I still do but the more I hunt the more I use bigger bullets. Even though slower, heavy bullets penetrate more believe it or not. Someone probably could explain why. So they have more stopping power and do more damage if your life depends on it. I loaded 220 for my brothers 30 06 and he had to sight it in. Whats cool about my wsm is the 220 hit to same point of aim out to 200 yard. I use them for bear loads. I would use the 4831. For some reason I have always gotten better accuracy from this powder (it fills the case more). 4350 would be my second choice. Good luck.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Default Woodleighs

Check out Woodleigh bullets for the '06 , biggest and best . Barnes Originals in 250 grains were really the ticket but they were dropped . Bigger is better boys

Default 220's in the Ought Six....

I have loaded the 220 kodiak bonded protected point (sort of a flat little meplat) in the ought six with great results.

With RL-22, 56.0 grains gives 2520 fps , 57.0 gives 2565 fps from my M97, average of ten shots and SD was 09 and 07. I have chronographed these in three of my '06's and they are safe and very accurate. Two of these loads were used on a 9 footer down around Coldbay but neither was recovered. One one was used on a 58" bull that never knew what hit him and it was not recovered. Since I didn't see the bullets after impact, I don't know if they work or not.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    I like your thinking. When I started hunting I liked accuracy. I still do but the more I hunt the more I use bigger bullets. Even though slower, heavy bullets penetrate more believe it or not. Someone probably could explain why. So they have more stopping power and do more damage if your life depends on it. I loaded 220 for my brothers 30 06 and he had to sight it in. Whats cool about my wsm is the 220 hit to same point of aim out to 200 yard. I use them for bear loads. I would use the 4831. For some reason I have always gotten better accuracy from this powder (it fills the case more). 4350 would be my second choice. Good luck.
    Sounds good! Answer: Momentum and Sectional Density.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?