Thread: Rockfish questions...

Default Rockfish questions...

Ok so i know crippled herring and buzz-bombs work UNREAL for rockfish anywhere in the state. With that being said...I am pretty tired of losing 7-10 dollars everytime i snap a line on the rocks. What are some other lures or methods you peopleuse that are less expensive and near the same effectiveness. Also, anyone know of some good places to hit up for rockfish or halibut out of whittier that a 19' klamath can reach. Thanks for the info. My hats off to you my fellow fisher people.

AkSteve

Default 4-5

Four to five ounce lead jig head and a 4-6" plastic shrimp tail jigged around the rocks. Everybody loves shrimp!

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default So Cal connection helps

Plastics are pretty fun, fishing the shallow stuff with little current can be a lot of fun. I don't see them up here much, but the 4 inch AA's and just about any plastic in any color (from my experience) will work. The lead heads come in weights from 1/2 to 2 ounces and are a lot cheaper than losing a jig. I get my plastics from friends and family in Southern California where using those plastics is really popular for calico and sand bass along with other critters. I'm sure you can find them in Cabela's too, but when I have friends that will load me up for free, I just gotta take them fishing when they come up here, how can I argue?

you have pm hope that info helps out

buck tails and rubber jigs.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Aksteve don't stop using your darts because you loose them on the rocks! I retrofit my jigs with oval rings that will pull loose after you apply extreme pressure. Just attach the ring to your lure and secure you hook on it, Presto!! Rings are sold on line through Cabelas and Bass Pro. I use 80 lb. spectra so it's makes straightening the rings out even easier. Make sure you carry extras on the boat with you, and no you won't loose fish on them "if" they're not tore up.
    As for spots out of Wittier? I have had luck in the past just fishing the rocky points past the entrance. Look for kelp around Pigot bay etc... They always hold black rockfish. Easy run in your boat on a nice day.

Default Here's an answer

I paid a visit to our local Thrift shop and picked up 8 stainless knives for a whopping $2.00 After tinkering for about 3 hours today here is the finished product.

The only difference in mine is the shrimp flys and I added a swivel on the split ring, and Eric was 100% right about heating to a dull red heat to remove the temper before drilling them.

Estimated total cost per ea is about $ .75, were I to go out and buy something similar like a 6 oz Hopkins jig I think I'd pay around $8-9 bucks ea.

http://humboldttuna.com/smf/index.php?topic=546.msg3991

Thumbs up This works very well

5 inch BUZZ BOMBS. Heavy enough to get deep and everything will hit a buzz bomb. Yes they are expensive. But here is the trick. Take that really nice sharp treble hook and put it in you tackle box for another setup. Buy the cheapest treble hook you can find. Get 80lb steel leader line and the clamps. Make up your buzz bombs on this steel leader with a swivel on the end so you can just tie onto the swivel. 4 feet leaders or so. When you hook a rock with that cheap treble hook, you can straighten it and get it back. Since the buzz bomb slides up and down the leader you can use it as a weight to pull it loose by pulling real hard and dropping the rod tip. When it come off, reel it up and rebend the hook and send it back down. Using this setup I only loose about 3 a year and we fish some rocky areas. Good luck.
    Kammer
    22' Seasport

In a similar vein as kammer's idea above, ditch the treble and go to assist hooks looped to the upper eyelet on the Crippled Herrings/Megabaits/Pt. Wilson darts etc.... Much less snagging, and you now have the ability to pull up doubles. You can buy Gamakatsu assist hooks already made, or make your own using live bait hooks and 100 lb dacron braid.

Regards,
    Scott

I agree with Dave that Scampi tail soft plastics fished on a lead head jig is very tough to beat for rock fish, Lingcod, and Halibut. Plus the lead heads and scampis come in all sizes. They are cheaper than metal jigs and less prone to hang up on the bottom because the hook faces the surface. Some guys even pour their own lead. My favorite colors are motor oil, rootbeer, purple and black for rock fish. For halibut it's tough to beat white.