Thread: Is it that hard to mount my own tires?

Default Is it that hard to mount my own tires?

I would like to put some ITP's on my stock 07 Rancher rims (the tires are the same size as stock) I dont want to pay $10-$15 bucks per tire to have a shop do it unless its really hard to do. has anyone done this before? I figured I just need some spreader bars and some lube and a couple of guys. any thoughts.

I've done it. I'll gladly pay the money to have the shop do it. Its a royal pain in the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I've done it. I'll gladly pay the money to have the shop do it. Its a royal pain in the rear.

True story. Really.

edit..btw you lost me at spreader, lube and couple guys. (sorry mods..had to do it)
    Last edited by junkak; 04-02-2008 at 00:07. Reason: fun

Wheeler tires are really easy to install, usually with no tools at all. The hard part is dis-mounting the old tires. I use my truck to break the beads, then a couple tire irons remove the tire from the rims. Once you get the hang of it, it's easy.

Use to change tires alot when I was younger. Had to (try to) replace a mudlite last year. Won't try that again!!
    EricL

Default not hard

Like Kenaimk said the hardest part is taking off the old set. You can use a vehicle to break the beads, but we used an old "bumper jack", and a vehicle's bumper. Couple of large screwdrivers, for tire irons. Dish soap, to lube bead. A ratcheting tie down around the tire's circumference , once mounted, will help get the beads against the rim to air up(learned that one from watching someone at Johnson Tire).

good trick on the ratchet strap. I do my motorcycle tires myself. last summer figured how hard could my wheeler tires be? noticably tougher, not impossible but tough. I'll pay.

Default humm

ive never done 4 wheeler tires but i know if you spray starting fluid in the tire the throw a match to it you dont need the ratchet strap. and it makes a good solid bead all the way around. oh and for truck tires we use water dish soap and antifreeze for a lube watch out if you get it on the floor you'll be meeting it.

I've got a tire changer bolted the the floor in my garage. Send me a PM and I'll help you do it if you like (free). You need to hurry though, I just sold my house and will be moving by the end of April.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

The hardest part when changing tires is popping the bead on the tires you want to remove. The rest is no problem at all, nothing two monster screw drivers, a 5 gal bucket, and some soapy water can't handle. I've mounted my last three set of tires and prefer to do it myself. Reason being is when most companies swap tires for you they do not clean the inside wall of the rim, and the tire will most likely be a leaker if that mud and gunk isn't cleaned up. I'll take that money that I would have spent paying someone else to swap out the tires and buy beer to drink while swapping out the tires myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    The hardest part when changing tires is popping the bead on the tires you want to remove. The rest is no problem at all, nothing two monster screw drivers, a 5 gal bucket, and some soapy water can't handle. I've mounted my last three set of tires and prefer to do it myself. Reason being is when most companies swap tires for you they do not clean the inside wall of the rim, and the tire will most likely be a leaker if that mud and gunk isn't cleaned up. I'll take that money that I would have spent paying someone else to swap out the tires and buy beer to drink while swapping out the tires myself.

Well said!