Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: Got To Have A 375 Weaherby Magnum - Finally

  1. #1

    Default Got To Have A 375 Weatherby Magnum - Finally

    I have made a decision. I have wanted for a while a 375 Weatherby magnum custom rifle but got so involved with my 257-300Wby and 270-300Wby customs that I could not afford to do it. Well, in dealing with the 257-300 and the 270-300 I realized that there is going to be a lot of over lap between the two and at times depending on what I would be hunting I would have a tough time deciding which one to use. Well I am bitting the bullet. I am going to build a 375Wby on a Mark V action with a B&C Metalist stock, with a #3 contour 25" shilen barrel with a Brockman on/off muzzle brake which is the same brake on my 270-300Wby. It will have a Zeiss Conquest on it. I have decided to do away with my 257-300Wby because it is to close to the 270-300Wby in capability and they over lap to much and since I want the added power of the 270-300Wby, I will use the camo stock and action from my 257-300Wby. I will be pushing a 300gr Partition at 2800fps and a 300gr TSX at 2860fps and a 250gr A-Frame 3000fps and a 250gr TSX at 3050fps and a 260gr Partition at 3000fps. Now these are velocities from manufactured ammunition. When I reload I will be able to exceed these velocities because these are velocities out of a 24" barrel and when you add my 25" not counting the brake and that reloading generally one can out do factory ammo this will be a good 375 cartridge and rifle. Now I do not know for sure if I will get these velocities out of a 25" Shilen barrel in 375Weatherby. These are just a guess using Weatherby, Conely and Nosler manufactured data. I assume I will exceed them since those represent velocities out of a 24" barrel. I can't wait should have it around the middle of June or first of July. So if I get a chance to go to Alaska in 2009 or 2010 and Tanzania again in 2009 I will have a good rifle and cartridge. Yes I am excited.
    Last edited by Murphy; 04-04-2008 at 01:45. Reason: Just had to fix that "t".
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    564

    Default

    THe 375 Weatherby is a very good choice. The ability to shoot 375 H&H in apinch is nice. If my 375 had a longer barrel I would have made it a 375 weatherby by now.

  3. #3

    Default NAW

    For a man soooooo interested in velocity I would have figured you would build a 378 Weatherby. It's much faster than the 375 and With so much additional velocity it has to develope more energy. Plus it looks really cool.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

    On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

  4. #4
    Member bigswede358's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    St. Maries, Idaho
    Posts
    518

    Default Why?

    Why the 375 over the 378?
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

  5. #5

    Default

    350Rem mag is great, 375 Ruger is great but they ain't a Weatherby and you know I am a Weatherby guy. It is not about weight, velocity, looks or the idea that one kills just as good as the other or that the 378Wby is faster. There is no argument there. It all gets down to a 375Wby which I have wanted for a long time and just kept getting other stuff. I will not miss the 257-300Wby because I can push a 100gr in my 270-300Wby at 4000fps. Actually faster than I was able to do with the 257-300Wby. Plus the 270-300Wby can push a 150gr at 3500fps so it covers the bases up to tough dangerous game and the 375Wby will handle that. You see it all gets down to the fact that it is a Weahterby and I have wanted the classic 375Wby since I was a young man. Once again, it is a Mark V Weatherby in a classic cal. that is all it is and anything else is just icing on the cake. And when I get to Tanzania I have to have brass that is stamped the same as my rifles and my wildcats are made from 300Wby brass. I just wanted a 375Wby that is the bottom line, nothing more, nothing less.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  6. #6
    Member schmidty_dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    535

    Wink Mr. Weatherby

    Beartooth, I think the most important thing is having what YOU want. It took me a long time to stop trying to please everyone and just enjoy myself, but I try and do what I want nowadays and its working out just fine.

    I have a good friend who is really into Browning. He bought a BLR in 325 WSM last summer and it sure is a pretty rifle. It actually was made in limited quantity (I think) because it is a grey laminate stock with stainless action and I couldn't find many of those, not even on brownings website. Right now he is about to get a Browning Gold shotgun to add to his collection. As much as anybody wants to say that you're paying for the name Browning... it doesn't matter. Its what he wants and thats just fine with him. I call him Mr. Browning, I guess you should be called Mr. Weatherby

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schmidty_dog View Post
    Beartooth, I think the most important thing is having what YOU want. It took me a long time to stop trying to please everyone and just enjoy myself, but I try and do what I want nowadays and its working out just fine.

    I have a good friend who is really into Browning. He bought a BLR in 325 WSM last summer and it sure is a pretty rifle. It actually was made in limited quantity (I think) because it is a grey laminate stock with stainless action and I couldn't find many of those, not even on brownings website. Right now he is about to get a Browning Gold shotgun to add to his collection. As much as anybody wants to say that you're paying for the name Browning... it doesn't matter. Its what he wants and thats just fine with him. I call him Mr. Browning, I guess you should be called Mr. Weatherby
    Well, at least you understand where I am coming from. You only live down here once and I would like to experience the 375Wby on a hunt in Mark V custom. So I am going to do that. My 270-300Wby will fill the other gaps of my style of hunting. Yea like your friend who loves Brownings, my freind who love Win Pre 64 mod 70's I love Weatherby Mark V's and of course with a Zeiss on top. I don't worry about pleasing people with what I prefer to shoot in brand or cartridge. They won't be carring it in the woods, I will, and as you said that is what matters. We all can have fun in America because we have so many choices and that makes this whole thing a lot of fun.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  8. #8

    Default

    P.O. Ackley said the following about the 375Wby, "The 375Wby is one of the very best of the Weatherby line and is a good efficient cartridge for all kind of big game and could be highly recommended for anyone desiring this much power. It is some what superior to the standard .375H&H and any standard .375H&H rifle can easily be rechambered fot he .375Weahterby." Not a bad recommendation. It has a lot of power, well balance in all it's attributes for the powder used and would be more than efficient in killing all kinds of game. Nothing like a classic!
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southwest Alaska
    Posts
    2,145

    Default

    Yup, the .375 Weatherby is a good round. But before you get too far, make sure your reamer does not have the 0.750" parallel throat, it really hurts accuracy. By the way, the only reason Weatherby can push those velocities is the existence of that long throat, and eve then, their factory ammo is heavily loaded. I would respectfully suggest your purchasing pressure testing equipment so you don't overload.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

    Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

    You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Yup, the .375 Weatherby is a good round. But before you get too far, make sure your reamer does not have the 0.750" parallel throat, it really hurts accuracy. By the way, the only reason Weatherby can push those velocities is the existence of that long throat, and eve then, their factory ammo is heavily loaded. I would respectfully suggest your purchasing pressure testing equipment so you don't overload.
    Good point Nitroman, but I will stay in the area of publish max loads and look for an accurate load. I have learned a great deal about how to seat my bullets for freebore and I have obtained some very good accuracy. Sure hope I can do it with this one. I will be using the new freebore that Weatherby uses now on the 378. Wish me luck and know that I will not take chances. With a powerful cartridge like the 375Wby one does not have to look for that extra that could get them in trouble.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    1,462

    Default

    I always get a kick out of your enthusism BT...good for you! We should start a forum pool to guess which Weatherby caliber will be the next to catch your eye. I'm sure there are more to come (which I hope is the case for all of us).

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I always get a kick out of your enthusism BT...good for you! We should start a forum pool to guess which Weatherby caliber will be the next to catch your eye. I'm sure there are more to come (which I hope is the case for all of us).

    Yea, it is like a soap-opera, something happens in ever episode.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  13. #13

    Default

    Doing some reading and research and found that IMR4350, IMR4064, H380, IMR4320, IMR4895, Varget, H4350, RL-15, and RL-19, are really good powders for the .375Wby. With the velocities of the .375Wby it looks like the 260gr Nosler Accubond would be a perfect bullet to use for a lot of different thin skin game especially for longer shots with the 375Wby. It seems the coefficient of the Accubond would give it good down range ballistics. With a 260gr Accubond 4854ft pounds of energy at muzzle is pretty good and 3" high at 100yds would only be -5" at 320yds with 3053ft pounds of energy left. With a 300gr Partition or 300gr A-Frame you would have 5321ft pounds of energy at muzzle and that is real good and 3" high at 100yds would only be -5 at 300yds with 3079ft pounds of energy left. Not bad for a .375 cal. bullet using Roy's improvement of the 375 H&H case. This cartridge would not be as over bore as the other Weatherby cartridges are. Very interesting indeed.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  14. #14

    Default

    If I were to use the new 300gr Accubond with a coefficient of .485, I could have 5222ft pounds at muzzle, sight in 3" high at 100yds, Zero is 250yds and -5" at 310yds with 3355ft pounds of energy left, put cross hair on top shoulder and good out to 410yds with 2875ft pounds of energy remaining. Not bad at all

    http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...sku=0011553662
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  15. #15
    Member shphtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chugiak
    Posts
    1,376

    Default trajectories?

    I would recommend that you determine what velocities your particular loads in your gun produce before determining your precise exterior ballistics - there is often a less that 100% concordance between published predictions and eventual reality. Good Luck with your new project.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    I would recommend that you determine what velocities your particular loads in your gun produce before determining your precise exterior ballistics - there is often a less that 100% concordance between published predictions and eventual reality. Good Luck with your new project.
    Yes, I know that is why I said I "could have" in reference to what I posted. I know it will all come down to load development and actual chrono and range accuracy results to know for sure. I was only discussing potential. It will be fun to see how close I get to the theoretical ballistics I posted with the chambering and the 25" Shilen barrel.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  17. #17
    Big Stick
    Guest

    Default

    I've shot the 375H&H Ackley Improved a bunch and think highly of it. It's a better case design than the 375'by and will of course still digest SAAMI 375H&H.

    No need to suffer Roy's throating,nor the double radiused shoulder,when the AI will offer more capacity and do a better job of negating case growth(assuming good die geometry).

    Wouldn't do one on a MK V either,as they are heavy,fickle and prone to failure...............

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Stick View Post
    I've shot the 375H&H Ackley Improved a bunch and think highly of it. It's a better case design than the 375'by and will of course still digest SAAMI 375H&H.

    No need to suffer Roy's throating,nor the double radiused shoulder,when the AI will offer more capacity and do a better job of negating case growth(assuming good die geometry).

    Wouldn't do one on a MK V either,as they are heavy,fickle and prone to failure...............
    Big Stick, you don't know what you are talking about and I don't agree with you for one minute. I can tell by your comments that you are biased, uninformed and and your comments are unfounded by evidence or experience. You have a right to your opinion and I am glad you like your Improved version but as P.O. Ackley said himself in speaking of the .375 Ackley Improved and I quote, "There are several other versions of this cartridge like the .375 Weatherby which are equally as good as the Ackley version." So your Ackley is not better just another good .375 cartridge. Show me pictures of your Chronograph and targets using your Ackley improved and lets see 2800fps plus with a 300gr bullet and how accurate it is. Mark V is not fickle, and prone to failure, once again just rhetoric and no body of evidence to support loose comments. Thank you for your opinion but that is all it was.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  19. #19
    Big Stick
    Guest

    Default

    Beartooth,

    Had I known you were Psychic,I'd of saved the bandwidth.

    Of course I'm biased,because I've had rifles so chambered,feel free to hold that against me...while you speculate. I shot the 375H&H,375H&H AI,375Wby and 378Wby expressly,for a good long time.

    I shot my 22-inch 375H&H AI at 2850fps+ via Re-15 and 270X's,on a Rem 721 receiver(swapped to a 700 firecontrol system,so as to yield the 2lb pull weight) and dumped it into a McMillan AWR Fibergrain handle. Wearing Leupie 6x42 glass it was under 8lbs. Pretty famous rifle,lots of guys shot it,seen me shoot it and only the advent of the 338Ultra retired it.

    The other was 700 Classic based,wearing a 24" tube.

    375H&H AI capacity is bigger than the 375Wby's and take it to the BANK,that will not scoot 300's to 2800fps.

    Will save you my lamentations regarding firsthand MK V extractor and firecontrol failures,as it'd probably be more than you could handle out of the gate.

    Appreciate your taking the time to guess so rabidly,as I much enjoyed the chuckle.................

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Stick View Post
    Beartooth,

    Had I known you were Psychic,I'd of saved the bandwidth.

    Of course I'm biased,because I've had rifles so chambered,feel free to hold that against me...while you speculate. I shot the 375H&H,375H&H AI,375Wby and 378Wby expressly,for a good long time.

    I shot my 22-inch 375H&H AI at 2850fps+ via Re-15 and 270X's,on a Rem 721 receiver(swapped to a 700 firecontrol system,so as to yield the 2lb pull weight) and dumped it into a McMillan AWR Fibergrain handle. Wearing Leupie 6x42 glass it was under 8lbs. Pretty famous rifle,lots of guys shot it,seen me shoot it and only the advent of the 338Ultra retired it.

    The other was 700 Classic based,wearing a 24" tube.

    375H&H AI capacity is bigger than the 375Wby's and take it to the BANK,that will not scoot 300's to 2800fps.

    Will save you my lamentations regarding firsthand MK V extractor and firecontrol failures,as it'd probably be more than you could handle out of the gate.

    Appreciate your taking the time to guess so rabidly,as I much enjoyed the chuckle.................
    HA!!! HA!!! I am chuckling also and as I said, you have your opinion and of course what you claim. Glad you like your Ackley so much. I will enjoy my build and it will bring down the game I want to use it on. I think I will take P.O.'s word over yours concerning both cartridges. Interesting stuff you presented.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •