Thread: Tall Tales Taxidermy?

Default Tall Tales Taxidermy?

Does anyone have experience with them? Where you happy with the way your animal turned out? I welcome positive comments, please page me if your comment is negative. I'm looking to get a wolf either rugged or a life size mount and this company, along with Knights.

Thoughts?

My friend that is a taxidermist speaks highly of Yukon's work. Russell over at Knights is a top notch guy and puts out a great product as well. I was just at his shop the other day and visited with him and saw the work. Very nice. You can't go wrong with either. One bonus about Knights is that it is right next to Midnight Sun Brewery, drop off you hide and stop over Midnight Sun for a Growler of beer!!

WE were not happy...Sent you a PM..

Default Tall Tales

Yukon is a great taxidermist and is true to his word in every way!
    I tend to use more than enough gun

Default Thumbs Up

Gotta love a taxidermist in Alaska, with the name Yukon Grubaugh. How much better than that can it get?

He did a wolf rug for me after the 06 season, I had the rug made for a good friend, I'll see if I can find the pics. I was happy with it, but I'm mostly a meat hunter, and wouldn't notice the difference between a great job and an average one...

here's the wolf before Yukon got it:

Full disclosure: Yukon was a student of my father when my dad taught taxidermy at the Career Center (a secondary vo-tech school) back in the '80's. He also taught my brother how to do taxidermy and allows my brother to use his shop to do his own work (along with my own).

That being said, Yukon does top notch work. He has won many, many taxidermy awards with good reason. His work is a step above that which I have seen at taxidermy shows and on display in other locales, and I would choose him first when seeking to get a special animal mounted. I don't just say this because I've known the guy for a long time - I honestly believe his work is among the finest out there. He's also just a nice guy and fun to talk taxidermy with. If you want, I'll go in there with you and introduce you. His living room in his house is a kick to look at. It's like you're in Africa, Asia, and Alaska all at once.

Anyhow, I don't think you can go wrong with Yukon. He may take just a bit longer than some other places, as he sends the hides out of state to be tanned by a very good tannery, but it's worth the wait.

Default Great work

I totally agree with Brian's comments on Yukon and I don't have an bias. He has done two animals for me. The first was an old huge fox I shot over on Kodiak that I tried to have a rug made for cheap with someone else and got burned. What I got back was just the hide because the guy was having life troubles and couldn't complete the job. The hide was in horrible shape as the guy tried to tan it himself the old fashioned way and thus the hide was hard as a brick. I shopped around and found Yukon.(Love the name and his phone prefix is 338.-My caliber of choice) He was able to salvage the hide and make as good a rug as could be expected with the poor quality hide he had to work with. (Lesson learned-Don't skimp on your taxidermist. I had heard it before but is really sinks in when it is your own prized animal and money.)

The second animal was a sheep on which he did a fine job. This is where I have to disagree with Brian M. on one count but it is a good disagreement. He had my sheep back to me in 5 months which is longer than usual according to Yukon. He ran into a delay with the tannery. I would challenge you to find anyone else who can do a quality job on a sheep in that amount of time.

If you are interested in seeing his work up close, other than his impressive trophy room, feel free to PM me.

Scott

You cant go wrong at Knights, I have head mounts from there, birds and two bear rugs and everything they do is top notch.

Default Go see his house...

If you have any doubt, go to his shop and ask him to show you his house...he'll take you on a tour...if you're not sold by then, then the guy you go to must be the worlds best. Some of those mounts in there are pretty old, but they don't look it...they look like they were finished last week. That is the test of a great taxidermist...anyone can make something look good for when it leaves the showroom, but what will it look like in 10 years?

I used to work with him for 2 years and he taught me a TON of taxidermy that can't be taught any other way than through hands on and I'm now in the lower 48 and won't hesitate to send him something to be mounted if I want it done by the best.

His turn around times are actually much faster than most of the big shops in town too even with him sending his part of his tanning out of state - he doesn't do that with everything.

Default Tall Tales

You can't go wrong with Youkon, he does a great job. He has done a great job on two of my mounts and has fixed a mount the fell 9 feet during one of our little earthquakes.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm looking for a good taxidermy place to have a future bear rug done, does anyone know what this gentleman charges per ft?

Fish - Take a look for yourself: Here's his website.

He did my big Griz rug, I did a lot of research and tall tales rose to the top. Yukon did an absolutely great job on may rug.

I have 4 life size mounts in my house and yukon did all of them, you can go no better than yukon, I refer all of my friends to him, the lynx that he did for me looks like it might jump off its petastal at any time,,

You should post some pictures!

Question

ive tried with no luck, what is the secret to posting pics

propbender, create a photobucket account. Then you can copy and paste the img code photobucket provides under the picture when you upload it to your account. It's free, doesn't cost a thing.

I choose to go with Knight's for various reasons, but chances are I would have been happy with either.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I might try Yukon is I need any more taxi work.