Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What new scope...?

Default What new scope...?

What would be your choice of scope if one could not afford a Leupold or such. This for a standard run of the mill 30-06 fo general duty hunting.

Choices would likely include Bushnell (B&L), Weaver, Burris (Fullfield)and possibly others at about $200. Probably will be a variable, realyzing a fixed of better quality will fit the budget.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Scope

Given the price range and optical quality, I'ld have to opt for a BURRIS. Good warranty and optics. I already have 9 with no issues over the past 18 years, so 1 more wouldn't be too bad.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

If you could do $250 or so I'd go with a Bushnell Elite 4200 3x9. My second choice at right around $200,probably a little less,would be a Sightron ll 3x9. Hope this helps!

til later

Leupold fixed power. 4-6x.

Cheap, bombproof, decent glass, less mechanical parts to break. Actually just about any fixed power tube from a reputable manufacturer would be great.

Well Murph, I would trade one of my nice leupolds for one of those nice customs in your safe

But really, I would choose the sighttron II 3-9 or the fixed 6 if you like fixed scopes. You could actually find a leupold vxII on ebay for around $200.

Weaver V class, Burris Fullfield either one I would recommend if I could not have a Zeiss.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

*wonders why Murphy would ask such a question* but to entertain him my reply would be... the standard run of the mil 30.06 is a fair kickin gun and you want a rugged scope for it or you want no scope at all. My first deer rifle (in PA) had iron sigths. I dont believe in cheap scopes because I've been down that road and it doesn't pay. For the most part you get what you pay for in optics. Sometimes you pay a little more for a name. I've hit a 12" steel gong 6 for 6 at 300m offhand with an SKS, standard iron sights. If you want to be more accurate than that, then buy good optics. Two that come to mind would be Bushnell ellite series and Nikon Monarch. My take is if you dont need a 3x9 or better then use iron sights.

Happy Hunting

Default Pawn shop

go to a pawnshop and find something with a Leupold , resell the gun .

Default Leupold

My suggestion would be to find a used Leupy. Any gun shows coming up in your neck of the woods?
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Default Nikon

I have three friends who use Nikon scopes. They seem to like them a lot! Obviously these guys aren't testing out swarovski but for an affordable scope thats cheaper than Leupold I think Nikon offers alot.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty_dog View Post
    I have three friends who use Nikon scopes. They seem to like them a lot! Obviously these guys aren't testing out swarovski but for an affordable scope thats cheaper than Leupold I think Nikon offers alot.
    Nikon has made some real good mechanical changes internally to their scopes and the glass on the Monarch is nothing to sneeze at. Even the New BuckMaster scopes are well build. Tried one of these for a little while on a 300Wby mag and it preform flawlessly. Good customer service also. They are a real option anymore to the Leupold.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I have not priced any in awhile, but these would be at the top of the list. Just depends on what type of hunting situation we are looking at. Field or forest????

Bushnell 3200 2-7 x 32mm
    Bushnell 4200 1.25-4 x 24mm

I really like the 4200!!! One clear scope and the rain guard is for sure cool.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default lepould

Save your money and buy a lepould! Lepuold makes the rifleman series now that are not to expensive but still have the lifetime warranty. In 23 years guideing I have seen all others fail, but never a lepould.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    What would be your choice of scope if one could not afford a Leupold or such. This for a standard run of the mill 30-06 fo general duty hunting.

Choices would likely include Bushnell (B&L), Weaver, Burris (Fullfield)and possibly others at about $200. Probably will be a variable, realyzing a fixed of better quality will fit the budget.

If I could'nt afford a leupold (which we can get for $200) I would spend $100 (and I have) on a bushnell trophy 1.75-5x. I've owned a few and never had a problem. One is on a mossberg 695 bolt 12 guage and another is on a ruger 77 international .308. It seems brighter than the leupold vxII 1-4x on my kimber 84m 338 fed. Note these scopes used to retail at $159. The price may be falling because they may be phasing them out?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 300S&W View Post
    If you could do $250 or so I'd go with a Bushnell Elite 4200 3x9. My second choice at right around $200,probably a little less,would be a Sightron ll 3x9. Hope this helps!

til later
    What he said!

I have my reasons ofr asking this. It is for a first rifle/scope combination for a kid (relative term). I want a good quality scope and I cannot buy anything made in China. My thinking here is to go with scopes I've installed and used before and it must be new. No doubt the $$ for the Leupold would be well spent even a straight 4X could serve well, but the end user may be more inclined toward the variable. I've thinking a Bushnell Elite 3200 2-7X32 Rainguard. I can buy this for about $165. and the leupold base and rings would bring it to $200. A Leupold V-X I in
    2-7X33 is only about $180. Is that a better choice? The V-X II is about $270. Am I just being cheap?

Ok answer this question, new shooter, good hunter, would you choose the 2-7 X33 or the 3-9 X40 Leupold V-X II?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Sightron. Before I would buy a Leupold I will buy Sightron (and have). I will not buy any scope that does not have positive movement of the erector tube ever again.

Big deal about the warranty from Leupold, I've sent to many back to them for this vary same problem. I'm sick of their advertising and want a permanent fix. Leupold is not willing to fix the problem, so I'm done with them.

Simmons has a 3 X 9 that I have put on a half dozen rifles for in state use. I've yet to get one complaint in ten years of bush use. I think the cost was under 30.00 each. I wish I had bought a few dozen of them, when the price was low.

I have never seen harder use put to any rifle or scope, than the use they get in bush Alaska.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I have my reasons ofr asking this. It is for a first rifle/scope combination for a kid (relative term). I want a good quality scope and I cannot buy anything made in China. My thinking here is to go with scopes I've installed and used before and it must be new. No doubt the $$ for the Leupold would be well spent even a straight 4X could serve well, but the end user may be more inclined toward the variable. I've thinking a Bushnell Elite 3200 2-7X32 Rainguard. I can buy this for about $165. and the leupold base and rings would bring it to $200. A Leupold V-X I in
    2-7X33 is only about $180. Is that a better choice? The V-X II is about $270. Am I just being cheap?

Ok answer this question, new shooter, good hunter, would you choose the 2-7 X33 or the 3-9 X40 Leupold V-X II?

I am considering this scope (3200 2-7X) as a 2nd scope for my 338 fed., and would choose it over the VXI.

Your not being cheap. I owned many Bushnells over the years and only had one break and that scope broke a cross hair. It was approximately 25 years old. Bushnell replaced the scope for a $10 charge.
    I love Leupold scopes but find the current Bushnells and upper end Weavers to be equal to the optics of the Leupold at a much lower cost.
    Tennessee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast