Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Deep Creek 3rd week of May--questions

  1. #1

    Default Deep Creek 3rd week of May--questions

    The past four years we have gone to Anchor Point for halibut/chinook. This year I have my boat up from Oregon and I am thinking of taking the boat to Deep Creek instead, hoping for better odds on Kings, and we'll be staying for a week. Here are some questions for people that have stayed there and used the launch there.
    1. Campgrounds. I have a motor home and would like to know a good place to stay there, close to the tractor launch in the motor home with hookups.
    2. Launching--is there room to take the boat to the launch, turn around, etc.
    3. Halibut--That time of year do you have to go very far from shore in late May to get flat-fish, or do you have to head south towards Homer?
    4. Salmon--when Trolling for kings there, I know that there are areas you can't fish near (such as the mouths of rivers/creeks). What places can you not fish near from Deep Creek?
    5. Salmon trolling again--which is the best direction to head from the lauch, and incoming tide the best? ( I usually set up to troll with the tide ).
    Thanks, I know that's a lot of questions, but I have not gone there yet and I'm hoping for help so I have a plan before I get there.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    the Break Away Republic of Eagle River
    Posts
    513

    Default

    1) deep creek campground
    2) yes
    3) they are where you find them
    4) CHECK THE REGS or pay the consequences
    5) Follow the other 200 boats south to the yellow brick road and there you will find the Emerald King

    What no bonus question?

  3. #3

    Default bonus

    Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    1) deep creek campground
    2) yes
    3) they are where you find them
    4) CHECK THE REGS or pay the consequences
    5) Follow the other 200 boats south to the yellow brick road and there you will find the Emerald King

    What no bonus question?
    5-- so you are saying you do have to go south to get halibut that time of year? I know where to go from Anchor point, just never out of Deep Creek.

    bonus question? Ok, here are two:
    1. Are there sturgeon in Deep Creek?
    2. If I stay in Florida in the winter (vacation) but I'm an Alaskan resident am I a real Alaskan?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    the Break Away Republic of Eagle River
    Posts
    513

    Default

    5) Just follow the boats...trust me, there will be plenty - S young man S

    Bonus Q's

    BQ1) they are right there next to the Salmon Shark - Better use a heavy Duty tuna stick though. I have heard those Salmon Sharks follow those Kings right up near the highway at high tide! Go Get boys!

    BQ2) Thats a trick Q, one better left answered by the fine folks at the PFD office

  5. #5

    Default

    cutter did a fine job answering those questions, and I have to agree with him about the sturgeon, there is none in cook inlet,

  6. #6
    Member Wyatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    PAQ
    Posts
    360

    Default

    That's a bonus question only Hippie could love....and answer!

    Wyatt

  7. #7
    Member .338-06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    2. If I stay in Florida in the winter (vacation) but I'm an Alaskan resident am I a real Alaskan?
    Sir, you are a SNOWBIRD!

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    Sir, you are a SNOWBIRD!
    I would say, that since you apparently in the position to do this, you are a really smart Alaskan.....

  9. #9
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    The past four years we have gone to Anchor Point for halibut/chinook. This year I have my boat up from Oregon and I am thinking of taking the boat to Deep Creek instead, hoping for better odds on Kings, and we'll be staying for a week. Here are some questions for people that have stayed there and used the launch there.
    1. Campgrounds. I have a motor home and would like to know a good place to stay there, close to the tractor launch in the motor home with hookups.
    2. Launching--is there room to take the boat to the launch, turn around, etc.
    3. Halibut--That time of year do you have to go very far from shore in late May to get flat-fish, or do you have to head south towards Homer?
    4. Salmon--when Trolling for kings there, I know that there are areas you can't fish near (such as the mouths of rivers/creeks). What places can you not fish near from Deep Creek?
    5. Salmon trolling again--which is the best direction to head from the lauch, and incoming tide the best? ( I usually set up to troll with the tide ).
    Thanks, I know that's a lot of questions, but I have not gone there yet and I'm hoping for help so I have a plan before I get there.
    1) The beach next to the launch
    2) Yup
    3) Nope last time I was on a charter it was the 3rd week of may our boat caught 3 100+ fish in under 10 fathoms
    4) Regs have good maps, bring a gps
    5) With the tide is my guess because thats the way the fish are moving
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  10. #10
    Charterboat Operator
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Anchorage AK.
    Posts
    1,057

    Default Almost right

    agree with all except #1
    Great camping at the beach, but, there are no hookups there, i Do believe D & M at the top of the hill have full hook-ups. Beach is way nicer.

  11. #11
    Member flyfishak30's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    131

    Default launch in river?

    Did the ramp into the river ever get repaired after the flood?

  12. #12

    Default not me

    Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    Sir, you are a SNOWBIRD!
    Come on now, I'm not a snowbird. I was referring to some others and a hijacked thread argueing over a book and a hippie, and stuff. Just humor.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

  13. #13

    Default Now that's a real question I've had for three years

    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishak30 View Post
    Did the ramp into the river ever get repaired after the flood?
    There is a launch on the Anchor I know. There is also a launch at Deep Creek in the river? I have a jet boat and I have been told that you can go out from there, I am assuming at high tide? I want to use that option, but I'm a little afraid to try because I don't know anyone else that does it. Anyone know about this?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

  14. #14
    Member flyfishak30's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    131

    Default before the big flood

    I used to run my Kenai boat with my 35 prop out of there.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    soldotna
    Posts
    841

    Default

    You can use the launch at Deep Creek and some will do it. However there are a couple of drawbacks. The first is that off of the beach there is a big gravel bar that runs paralell to the beach. This means that the water is always rough here even when the water is flat. When it gets rough it gets even rougher here. The problem is that to re enter the creek you need to turn your boat sideways to the waves for a second. This can spell doom if it happens at the wrong second. This is the spot that more than one life has been lost in years past. More so before the tractor launches came into being.
    The beauty to the tractor launches is that you can avoid this piece of water and plus they are closer to actual fishing grounds which is huge when the weather turns which it can and often does in Cook Inlet. But, I did hear that they are going to charge $50 a launch this season. ouch! Is it wrth it? To me it is but every year I have to ask myself as the price continues to rise.
    Launch at creek was operating last season. Depending on the size of your boat you can either walk it down the creek in waders when the tide is out and come back in when beofre the tide goes fully out or head out & in when there is extra water from the tides. I would be hesitant to commit to spending a whole tide cycyle out meaning launching on one tide and returning on the next tide without some really good maritime information. Anyway, good luck.

  16. #16
    Member fishmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Yep $50.00 to launch is a bit much but I am sure that gas will be around $4.50 a gal in Homer this summer and that is a really big Ouch for me. No freeloaders this year.

  17. #17

    Default Desperate measures for desperate times...

    I think I'll just launch from Anchorage and put'er full throttle towards Homer, let that 460 breath free with the strong ripping outgoing tide, should be there in an hour at about 70mph with the tide, then ride the bore tide back, surf's up baby.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •