Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bear Meat What to do with it

Default Bear Meat What to do with it

Tried burger and home made cuts but is there any where that will accept black bear. Tried to last fall drop off some off at Alaska Seafood and Sausage but they don't take bear. Maybe Indian Valley meats does? Any recomendations?

Thanks

Thumbs up

drop it off at my house...

Have you Mike's meats in ER? just a thought. I know they do wonders with moose.

Default Mikes

Mikes will probably do a bear. i used to work for them in their warehouse. they do wonders with game meat. There sausage guy randy Has some great recipies. won't hurt to give them a call to ask. The owner Greg is a avid hunter so my guess is probably. i know he baits blackies.

Wink Mikes Meats - ER

Mike's Meat - Eagle River
    (907) 696-1888
    12110 Business Boulevard
    Eagle River, AK 99577-7725

Bear is basically pork - most of the meat processors in Anchor-town don't want to go through the trouble of sterilizing their equipment after processing a bear. Kind of makes you wonder about the cleanliness of the meat processor, no?

Anyway - took two bears to Mike's last spring; got lotsa breakfast sausage - GOOD STUFF.
    This year - who knows?

Nobody is going to make hunter sticks, or even jerky out of your bear for you though... - again - it's a pork thing.

Default Corned

Try corning it. Corned bear is really good. The meat market between Palmer and Wasilla will do bear. He makes a really good Polish sausage. A bit heavy on the garlic but still good stuff. It also makes good Hunters sticks.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

You can always make your own sausage at home. The ingredients are sold at Cabela's, and probably some of the sports stores in town. You will need an electric grinder with a sausage attachment, the ingredients, and the sausage wrapping.

Here is a recipe you can try on the kids, or a treat for your friends and hunting partners at the campsite:

INGREDIENTS
    -Sausage (cut in small chunks)
    -Onions (lots of it) chopped
    -Celery (lots of it) chopped
    -Mrs. Dash (lots of it)
    -Extra virgin olive oil (as much as you like)
    -Vinegar (lots of it)
    -Potatoes (small cubes), lost of it
    -Black olives (chopped), lots of it
    -Any other veggies you like

You must use two high heat propane stoves for this dish, or a 2-burner propane stove that can run on high heat.

DIRECTIONS
    -Start boiling the potatoes (should take around 20 minutes or less of boiling). At the same time, pour enough olive oil in a large frying pan, and start frying the sausage first, until it's just about done, then add the celery, onion, and olives.

-When the frying is nearly done, add Mrs. Dash and any other spices you want. By now the potatoes should be done. Have a friend drain the potatoes (without dropping it on the ground and moose nuggets, of course, and then add the vinegar.

-Let the vinegar boil a little, and then pour the fried stuff into the pot with the drained potatoes. That's all the re is to it. Scoop into a bowl and eat away

Keep in mind the following: the ingredients must fry on high heat, uncovered. The idea is for the ingredients, except for the sausage, to be cooked dry, but crispy. You can always cover with a lid to momentarily bring the temperature up. Don't overcook, but you want the steam to escape so that the celery and onions won't turn soft or mushy. Also, you must always make sure that the sausage is cooked before you add other ingredients. If that's the case, you can start a low-medium heat with it, and then bring the heat up with the rest of the ingredients.

My wife makes bbq (southern style pulled pork bbq) with it and it is great.
    Not sure of the exacts but here is what I have seen her do:
    cook in crock pot for a few hours with stewed tomatoes
    empty juice when meat is falling apart
    add bbq sauce (home made or store bought)
    Cook in crock for a while longer
    Serve on buns
    She does not measure anything and it is never the same but it is always good.

Thumbs up

we're having curry tonight...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Mat Valley Meats

Highly recommend him. He did 2.5 bears for us last year. Good burger. Even better summer sausage. The summer sausage will be the best you ever had anywhere. We had so many comments from people who never even had game before. Everyone loves it. I also believe he can do what ever else you want. Hunter sticks sounds good.

Indian Valley meats can do burger and breakfast sausage. Nothing else like mat valley. Indian Valley is inspected by the feds because they sell to vendors. Mat Valley is just puplic only.

Mat Valley Meats 357-9215

Indian Valley Meats 653-7511

Both do good work with what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    we're having curry tonight...
    I've made shrimp and chicken curry, but have never used red meat with curry. Would you mind sharing the recipe in the Alaskan Pantry forum? We're having moose stir-fry tonight, but man...curry sounds great!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    We're having moose stir-fry tonight
    And no invite?

Default time of year

Indian Valley won't do bear after about mid-may. Called them last year about a blackie for sausage weekend before Memorial day and they said they wouldn't be able to process it because they had already switched their stuff over for fish. Sounds like they just didn't want the business. Mat-Valley took it and it was the best sausage I've had yet!

Glenn's will do bears in Anchorage, but doesn't do any cooked sausages. He will do Italian, breakfast, chorizo. His cooked sausage biz gets sent to Indian Valley. He does a great job, fast turnaround.

Mike's does great work on bears. I took a couple to him for pepperoni -spicy. Also great job, fast turnaround.

Chris

Question Wormy Bear

I have no experiance with bear- but this thread relates to a friend of mine who is going to Northern Sakatchawan in May for a blackie hunt. They told him there will be no salvageable meat because of wormy meat in the spring.

Any Truth to this?

CapnJack

Quote Originally Posted by CapnJack View Post
    I have no experiance with bear- but this thread relates to a friend of mine who is going to Northern Sakatchawan in May for a blackie hunt. They told him there will be no salvageable meat because of wormy meat in the spring.

Any Truth to this?

CapnJack
    Black bears are great eating, especialy in the spring. The issue might be Trichinosis. As long as the meat is fully cooked there is no problem. So no rare steaks but plenty of roast and BBQ.

http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/pubs/not...me/blkbear.php
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    You can always make your own sausage at home. The ingredients are sold at Cabela's, and probably some of the sports stores in town. You will need an electric grinder with a sausage attachment, the ingredients, and the sausage wrapping.

Here is a recipe you can try on the kids, or a treat for your friends and hunting partners at the campsite:

INGREDIENTS
    -Sausage (cut in small chunks)
    -Onions (lots of it) chopped
    -Celery (lots of it) chopped
    -Mrs. Dash (lots of it)
    -Extra virgin olive oil (as much as you like)
    -Vinegar (lots of it)
    -Potatoes (small cubes), lost of it
    -Black olives (chopped), lots of it
    -Any other veggies you like

You must use two high heat propane stoves for this dish, or a 2-burner propane stove that can run on high heat.

DIRECTIONS
    -Start boiling the potatoes (should take around 20 minutes or less of boiling). At the same time, pour enough olive oil in a large frying pan, and start frying the sausage first, until it's just about done, then add the celery, onion, and olives.

-When the frying is nearly done, add Mrs. Dash and any other spices you want. By now the potatoes should be done. Have a friend drain the potatoes (without dropping it on the ground and moose nuggets, of course, and then add the vinegar.

-Let the vinegar boil a little, and then pour the fried stuff into the pot with the drained potatoes. That's all the re is to it. Scoop into a bowl and eat away

Keep in mind the following: the ingredients must fry on high heat, uncovered. The idea is for the ingredients, except for the sausage, to be cooked dry, but crispy. You can always cover with a lid to momentarily bring the temperature up. Don't overcook, but you want the steam to escape so that the celery and onions won't turn soft or mushy. Also, you must always make sure that the sausage is cooked before you add other ingredients. If that's the case, you can start a low-medium heat with it, and then bring the heat up with the rest of the ingredients.
    Ray that was an outstanding recipe, thanks.
    In addition to your ingredients I also used red potatoes, green onions, mushrooms, and cabbage...it was great!

Bear Buster: that recipe was taught to me by a former co-worker of mine (long go). He owned a gun shop in Fairbanks not too long ago. He closed the doors last summer, I believe. My hunting partners and I cook several of this meal at the hunting campsite in September

You don't have to use sausage on the recipe. In fact, you can substitute with small chunks of stew meat, chicken, or anything else. One thing to keep in mind is that any raw meats must be cooked ahead of the onions and the other ingredients.

Try that dish with precooked sausage of your liking, and in this case you fry everything at once. For some reason kids love this dish (with cooked/smoked sausage from the store). My "kids" are adults now, and still ask for me to cook this dish, but it's best done outdoors during the summer months, because of all of the smells inside the house linger for awhile. It should be an excellent dish at the Boy (or Girl) Scouts' campsite.

I used moose Italian sausage
    Yeah.. my wife's eyes are still watering

what does it cost generally to get sausage made per lb?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast