Thread: Bear cooler size

Default Bear cooler size

My brother and I are going for our first black bear this spring. We plan on being in the sticks for about 2 weeks. We were planning on vacuum packing the meat and keeping in a cooler on dry ice but we donít know what size cooler we will need. Any help is appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Jonathan

Haven't coolered an alaskan bruin, but I think that a 70 quart cooler would hold the meat off of one medium to big sized critter. I am more picky about what cuts I take off bear than say an elk. The 70 quart coolers work well for flying. I get about 65 pounds (total with cooler) into my coolers - be it fish or moose.

The dry ice is going to take up a lot of room too. To keep dry ice for 2 weeks will be pushing it. Wrap the ice in paper bags or newspaper and duct tape the lids shut to seal them so nothing gets out or in. Take a couple bath towels and get them wet and put them over the coolers and that will help keep the ice longer.

Default Coolers

Try to find the new style coolers that say,"keeps ice for 5 days". They actually keep ice longer than regular coolers.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Bear Burger

Be sure to save all the meat. Spring black bear is good and makes good burger.

Default vacuum sealing in the "sticks"

Just wondering what method you came up with to vacuum seal meat if you're in the field?

We will be using a GameSaver Turbo to pack the meat.

Default Coolers

I have 2 - 70 quart coolers - 1 Coleman & 1 Igloo. The Coleman's dimensions are 64 inches (bigger than airlines allow). The Igloo's measurements are 61 inches. One flies & one doesn't. The correct cooler is a great way to transport meat.

Spring black bear is very good to eat. Don't waste any.

Default Wheels

What ever size cooler you buy make sure it has wheels on it. I got mine at
    Sams and the handle extends out and makes the cooler into a nice luggage cart for going through airports.

Default A couple ideas

I am not sure on your access to your electric source, but this may help:

Age the meat for a few days (up to 10 with the right conditions) then you only have to ice the meat for a few days.

Take the meat to a fish/seafood packing place and for about 10 bucks they will keep it froze for you until you leave. Check the price of the place by you. Then all you would need is: two fish boxes for transport

Now if you can not get access to a town, forget option number 2.

Option one would work better if you could get the ice for your meat on say day 7 or so of the hunt, or on day 5 or so after the bear is shot.

Good luck, spring blackies are sooooo good to eat.