Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whittier boat harbor survey

Default Whittier boat harbor survey

I was wondering if anyone on the forum has received a Whittier small boat harbor survey packet. It states it is a corp of engineers evaluation of future harbor expantion. It askes alot of diffrent questions such as boat size, speed, fuel burn ect.. If whittier is my home port how much do I spend there on diffrent items. If I would want a slip. if there was a bid for slips what would I be willing to pay over the normal fee and why I would do so.just a bunch of questions. So what do you all think I know I have been on the waiting list for a slip a few years. Please chim in an let me know if a harbor expantion would be a good thing

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    I was wondering if anyone on the forum has received a Whittier small boat harbor survey packet. It states it is a corp of engineers evaluation of future harbor expantion. It askes alot of diffrent questions such as boat size, speed, fuel burn ect.. If whittier is my home port how much do I spend there on diffrent items. If I would want a slip. if there was a bid for slips what would I be willing to pay over the normal fee and why I would do so.just a bunch of questions. So what do you all think I know I have been on the waiting list for a slip a few years. Please chim in an let me know if a harbor expantion would be a good thing
    Yeah $0-$3000 extra for a slip and even another blank space to fill in if you willing to PAY MORE !!! They are fishing to see how good they can SCREW us all. What business is it of theirs how fast my boat goes and how much fuel it burns? How much did i spend for a slip? Well they are the ones charging the HIGHEST MOORAGE RATES in the state so why don't they know that themselves. Damage in the harbor? Yeah by their employees not knowing how to tie up a boat properly. How about the sunken rock over by the small ramp? how many props has that ruined??? They are way toooo busy to wrap some chains around it and pull it out of there. Rec boats they want to know how many people you had on board?? why? maybe charge a head tax to use the broken down docks!! Charter operators how many trips did you run, what did you pay your employees and HOW MUCH did you charge!! ITS NONE OF THEIR G D BUSINESS !!! Commercial fishermen how many in my crew, what were their wages, did i deduct expenses, HOW MUCH DID I MAKE FROM MY CATCH !!! *** do they want, this is America man and we all should let them have a good piece of our minds about this one. FIX THE LAUNCH RAMP first, fresh water at the stalls, maybe if it isn't asking to much have more than one broken down fresh water hose at the top of the ramps.
    Rant over, i'm done and am going to take a pill.
    Da potbuilder

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Ramp repairs

Seen in Anc Daily news legals last few days bids for ramp work being accepted for this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by glacierbear View Post
    Seen in Anc Daily news legals last few days bids for ramp work being accepted for this summer.
    That ought to clog things up this summer!!!

Quote Originally Posted by glacierbear View Post
    Holy crap. Could it be??? (probably not)....

Description
    INVITATION FOR BIDS City of Whittier 2008 Boat Ramp Repair Engineer: PND Engineers, Inc. Bids Due: 2:00 pm April 8, 2008 at PND Work Scope: Patch two concrete boat launch ramps and place shot rock at the end of one ramp in Whittier, AK Bid Requirements: Bidders must be licensed and bonded contractors with the State of AK and meet minimum experience requirements. The successful bidder shall sign a contract with the City. See Bid Documents for additional information. Contact: Bill Jamison , PND Engineers, Inc 1506 West. 36th Ave, Anchorage, AK 99503 Phone: (907) 561-1011, Fax: (907) 563-4220 Email: bill@pnd-anc.com Published: March 29, 30 & 31; and, April 2 & 5, 2008

Exclamation This should be fun!!

The completion date for the project is May 21st & work is to take place on week days only with single lane closures at the launches except for the work that has to take place at MLLW. The worst part is probably going to be the gaggle **** at the launch with one lane closed & traffic getting backed up.

Default harbor

Thanks for filling in the gaps potbuilder I'm on the slope typing on my smart phone and it gets difficult punching these small keys. I've only used whittier a couple of times the past 2 years I liked the PWS but the ramp keeps me away had a bad experience with it. I want to fill out the survey but I have stayed away from whittier hoping some day it would become more user fiendly. I did talk to you on the phone once potbuilder becouse I wanted to buy some of your pots and a couple of my friends wanted to also but with the ramps and parking is so bad we have fished from other harbors. I'll keep reading
    members posts here as I would like to fill out the survey in a positive we want a safe larger user friendly home port to leave and come back to. The bid thing on slips did bother me the most I guess you could loose yur slip if someone out bid you that seemed harsh or did I read that wrong.

All i know is, if this was the show Survivor. Whitter Harbor would of been voted off the island along time ago....

Pot builder couldn't agree with you more.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Whittier

Let`s see! What would be the best way to make Whittier solvent! Let`s put a road thru the mountain and let the entire world come in! They would ALL spend $ and Whittier would be rolling in dough! Is there something wrong with this picture???

All that survey is doing is trying to see HOW DEEP OUR POCKETS ARE & WHATS THE HIGHEST PRICES CAN WE CHARGE FOR THE ****T*ER SERVICES WE WILL NOT PROVIDE.
    Remember whittier is the HIGHEST PRICED HABOR in the state.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I have never liked the attitude there and 90 percent of the time, I drive right on past the turn off to go down to Deep Creek or Seward. I have always felt like they like us there because we will pay lots of money for their limited services. It is not my favorite place by any means.

Thumbs up Thats what I like to hear!!!!

Fellas, I tell you, I like what I am hearing. In my opinion, the problems are not going to get fixed until we stop coming. I quit on whittier last year when the first trip out, first launching of my seasport, brand new tires on the trailer, I hit a hole so big, it stopped my truck and trailer, and I almost had to put it in 4 wheel to get out of it, and I blew a tire on exposed rebar. That was the first and last launching for me in Whittier. I have boated out of Whittier for 5 years with a smaller boat, and I love PWS, but that ramp and lack of facilities made up my mind for me. See you guys in Seward.
    Kammer
    22' Seasport

Potbuilder hit it on the head! It sucks that Whittier has the the monopoly on PWS, and in turn have the worst facilities and ramps, and the walk from ramp to parking is great!! I can't beleave they would ask how much we would be willing to pay for a slip??

I'm pretty sure I would send that survey back blank....What a pity.

No I wouldn't send it back blank. I would have to add comments...

Default Whittier

We can all piss and moan about the facilities in Whittier, but how many would take a slip today if offered one? I would, and I know at least 4 others that would.

Default No Improvements since 1975

Gee lets see they do have a whole bunch of extra land to work with over there. No one wanted to pay to go there before so unlike Homer or Seward who has had many years of money coming in to do improvements, so now they are trying to play catch up.
    Nothing much has been done since 1975 there I guess and all of a sudden they open the road and folks expect a five star facility.
    Part of that survay is to see how far they need to go before PWS is negitively impacted. I say it already is. Maybe what they really need is a stop light so folks will feel at home, but better a couple more money trees so they could have Valet Parking.

Quote Originally Posted by 4whlr View Post
    We can all piss and moan about the facilities in Whittier, but how many would take a slip today if offered one? I would, and I know at least 4 others that would.
    Sure, but at what price? Since everything else is 4 to 5 times the cost as any of the other ports (launching, parking, ect.) I can only imagine what the slips are going to be priced at.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskapiranha View Post
    Gee lets see they do have a whole bunch of extra land to work with over there. No one wanted to pay to go there before so unlike Homer or Seward who has had many years of money coming in to do improvements, so now they are trying to play catch up.
    Nothing much has been done since 1975 there I guess and all of a sudden they open the road and folks expect a five star facility.
    Part of that survay is to see how far they need to go before PWS is negitively impacted. I say it already is. Maybe what they really need is a stop light so folks will feel at home, but better a couple more money trees so they could have Valet Parking.
    "Trying to play catch up?" What exactly have they done to even start to "catch up"?

"All of the sudden?" The tunnel has been there for years now and they knew about it for years BEFORE the tunnel was even completed.

Sorry but I just can't go along with any of that. I don't think anyone is expecting a 5 star facility, but they should at least try to come up to a single point of a single star. From my own observations over the past few years I just think the locals still have put their heals into the ground and are trying to stop the world from catching up to their community. Progress is a "10 foot gorilla" and there ain't no stopping it...

Only thing I ask is that they cover up the rebar so I don't blow a tire like I almost did last summer.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast