Thread: How's the hunting around Delta Junction?

Question How's the hunting around Delta Junction?

Might be in those parts later this summer.
    What's available and how hard are the permits/tags to come by?

Thanks

Default bump

Anyone????

The new regs are available, or soon will be, on the states website. Depends on what month this summer you'll be there. I'm pretty sure black bear will be open with no limit on non res tags. An aug bear taken off a berry patch is some good eating.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Delta Congestion

The hunting around Delta Junction has gotten very congested.
    Plus 33 mi loop and the west side is pretty much closed all the time now due to Stryker BDE.
    So youd be better off looking else where.

Dave

Default Delta

Delta Junction is well situated to take advantage of hunting opportunities for most major Alaskan animals. Moose seasons and harvest restrictions have been liberalized in Unit 20A as have brown bear restrictions in all of Unit 20. Caribou are available via drawing and registration permits, black bear are abundant, bison are available by drawing permit, sheep are available and there is arguably the best bird hunting in Alaska.

Default Delta

What do you plan on hunting in late summer? Would help if the months you actually plan on being Delta for were listed.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveLuntz
    So youd be better off looking else where.

Dave
    Dave,
    Thanks for the warm welcome!
    I'll be moving there in the fall. I'd rather find out some info about hunting "in my own backyard" than looking elsewhere.

I'll probably be there sometime in Sept.

Glenn

Default Delta

GR, Dave isn't trying to run you off, its just that as you know and if you dont check the regs, Delta is mostly draw hunting for Moose and Sheep, The areas just outside of the Delta Controlled use area like 33 mile loop and 1408, Coal Mine RD all these areas get hit very hard during moose season and they are heavily congested. I personally live in Delta and dont really hunt here at all. The only thing that is readily available if you are willing to put out the effort is Grizzly hunting close to the range just south of us.The black bear hunting is not near as good as many other places in the state, which I contribute to the large concentration of Griz. I lived in Fairbanks for years and can tell you that hunting down here is not near as good as it is north of Fairbanks. There is some waterfowl hunting available in Delta and decent grouse and ptarmigan hunting as well. The predators are extremely educated but you can occassionally get an incidental shot at a Coyote or fox. Not the best place in the state for hunting mostly due to the strict management regs in our area. Oh and you'll love the Delta WWWWWWWWIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!

Cool Delta hunting

There is pretty good moose hunting just outside of Delta if you know where to look. There's a registration hunt for caribou near there as well but it will be over by the time you get up here. Sheep is all draw in that area along with bison and moose closer to Delta. Grizzly hunting is pretty good down there too. I use to hunt there a lot until I moved to southcentral, now i hunt a little closer to home.

Default AKhunter

I wouldn't consider the 13 mile hike in for the Donnelly herd registration hunt a good Caribou hunt. You cant use an ATV or any vehicle any more for the Caribou registration hunt, therefore the hunt is really a wash. I am convinced they just didn't want the Caribou killed anymore when they instituted the no-motorized reg. Some blamed Russian poaching as the decline in the herd. As for moose quality, its very poor, there are lots of bulls that fall in between spike fork and 50" but not very many big bulls get taken at all. I believe the gene pool is very poor but thats just my opinion. I have been in the field during the rut which is well after the season closes and seen as many as 10 bulls in close proximity to 20+ cows and none of the bulls are bigger than 45" and they all act like the dominant bull. This is however in an area thats part of the DCU moose draw. Most of the moose that guys take around here are that one or two that have that 4th brow tine and they are hard to find also another gene issue. I have hunted in other parts of the state where a 40" moose will have 5 brow tines. Now if you are willing to spring for a plane flight there is some good moose hunting to be had (across the river). These are just my observations after 3 years of living in Delta and my comparisons are from having lived in Fairbanks for 6.

I'd be happy with a cow moose this year. I'd like to have some meat in the freezer for winter.

Default No Cow hunt.

They just started a cow registration hunt for the first time this year. You can apply for next year. Cows are everywhere as a matter of a fact you can put yourself on the roadkill list and your guaranteed to be called 2-3 times a winter if you'd like.

Default Ak F&g

Is the new brochure out yet?
    I haven't seen it online (as of today).

Glenn

Default F&G regs

Yes they are out. Havent checked the web site though, I have a paper set.

Default Moose

The area I'm talking about is about 25-30 miles outside of Delta Junction going towards Black Rapids. When i lived in North Pole I use to make that trek every year with 2 friends and we always came back with at least 1 moose but usually with 2 and sometimes 3. As far as the caribou, we use to be able to hunt them the second week in September during a registration hunt, sounds like they changed that that though.

You'll be able to find hunting areas but it will just take some work and planning. Bring a string to tie your hat on.

Default Warm Welcome

Glenn,
    Im not being inpolite... just honest.. I dont bull****.

The Delta Junction Hunting situation is what you had asked about.. almost all tied up with drawing permits or subsistance.

What is not drawing (Black Bear baiting & an open season, fall moose and grizz) is in areas that are very congested.. If you hunt on a four wheeler you will be happy. If you hunt off stand youll be happy if you like folks on four wheelers and trucks crossing through your hunting area.

There is alot of hunting area around Delta (mostly military land) this land is and will be more tied up due to the USARAK Stryker BDE and other military units training as they are in the process of adding more ranges into the Donnelly Training Area. to be specific it will probably be closed 270 days out of the year, Oh and do you know when the BDE deploys and closes these areas.. during moose season.

Also go on line and look at the Alaska hunting reg.. Area 20D you will notice that the areas around Delta Junction are also tied up by the Delta Controlled Use Area, The Delta Junction Management Area and the Bison Range Youth Hunt Management Area. These areas all have restrictions not only to hunting but to the use of ATVs during certain periods..

Moose hunting is open between 1 sept and 15 sept but you will have restrictions as a non resident, once you are a resident you will also have restrictions spike/fork/50 inch rule. believe me this complicates things.

So Im sorry i didnt post a picture that was rosey for you... But Im telling you the facts as they are. I would be leary of listening to folks advice who dont live here or who dont fill in thier profile about who they are or where they are from..

On a lighter note. I wouldnt live anywhere but Delta. Small town and great people.. Good luck with your move... and hope to see ya around town.

Dave

Question Advice

The area I was refering too does require a 4 wheeler for access but thats the extent of it, sure other people hunt there but 99% of them don't have a clue what they are doing, just riding around hoping to run into a bull moose thats legal. After about 4 days they give up and go home leaving plenty of legal bulls for those who have the knowledge of the area to find them. Mr Luntz, what does our profile have to do with giving advice about hunting? Just because some of us don't live there doesn't we don't know the area.

Default Delta..

Dave,

You are correct in that the big game hunting right around Delta is pretty well restricted, but when you look at the distances we have to travel in Alaska to do anything Delta is relatively close to some great opportunities like 20A moose, 40 Mile caribou and grizzly hunting in the 40 Mile country. Plus there is some great bird hunting on public land very close to Delta.