Thread: Jim Creeks Burning

Default Jim Creeks Burning

Water Gremlin and I went up past Friday Creek tonite. 5 miles past Jim Creek was a fire burning in the trees on the left side where a trail runs thru the woods. Looked to be a hundred yards or so wide 1/2 mile long and being pushed by a sustained 30 mph wind. On the way back around 9pm it had increased in size and was 2 miles long. Dry grass and dry wood. Fires burning 40 feet up in the beetle killed spruce. We called it in at 6:30 pm but I guess they aren't going to try to put it out tonite. Smoke cloud all the way to butte. With this wind I wouldn't be surprised to see it near Butte tomorrow. Some bozos either didn't duck out their campfire or they torched it on purpose.

Anch Daily News had an arcticle posted on their website. It seems that the fire crews could not cross Jim Creek. Maybe they didn't know where the holes were?

Default adn link

could somone post a link to the adn article?

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    could somone post a link to the adn article?

Ray
    http://www.adn.com/matsu/story/361948.html

Equipment for forestry is F550 trucks and larger. No reason to risk expensive equipment if they deem the fire to not be a danger to anyone.

Good point, that'd be a heavy sucker to get stuck.
    Anybody got a current update as to what is really going on with the fire?

Default www.matsugov.us

They have posted that the fire has spread to 60 acres.

I can't see smoke I don't think, so much dust coming out of there it's hard to tell. 50-75 mph wind gusts all day. alders and leaves they say, well I was standing in the middle of it there and it's the dry grass and burning spruce spreading the sparks.

wow so its around the beaver ponds? or past them? this may bring new trail options.

Ray
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by sr12345 View Post

thank you for posting that
    Semper Fi!

Default Friday Creek Fire

Here's a better link from the Borough that's providing updates. http://ww1.matsugov.us/

Thanks for posting this dws, I was wondering what that smoke was last night just before dusk. Wind is still howling down here, so anyone heading out there, keep a heads up. Looks like it's up to 80 acres as of noon today.
    I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    wow so its around the beaver ponds? or past them? this may bring new trail options.

Ray
    No this won't bring anymore trail options. Water Gremlin looked at his odometer as we crossed Jim Creek and the fires edge where it started was exactly 5 miles up river and since then it has burned back towards Jim Creek with the wind. The beaver ponds are another 8-10 miles further upriver. About one mile upriver past JC a trail starts in the woods on the left side and paralles the open gravel trails that almost everyone uses to go upriver. This trail stays 10-50 yards in the woods all the way up to Friday almost. I saw fire pits on the bank close to where this fire started just off the trail. If this fire gets put out now where it is, 99% of people headed to the glacier would never see the burned area.

Would be nice if they would start further up the valley and set a fire that could be easily controlled once it hit this 80 acre burn. Might make for some good moose habitat!

Default Inside Trail

Sounds as if you are referring to the inside trail. Quite a many years ago, as the river had changed course, that was the only way through. The flats were flooded. I am old and decrepid, but still try to remember when a 3-wheeler would float you upstream Jim Creek, not that I would ever do that! Seems that the early eighties are not much different than today, just a different crowd.
    The ATV Club has plans to clear the inside trail, provided of course that DNR does not object. Lots of windfall in there blocking the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by RockHound View Post
    Sounds as if you are referring to the inside trail. Quite a many years ago, as the river had changed course, that was the only way through. The flats were flooded. I am old and decrepid, but still try to remember when a 3-wheeler would float you upstream Jim Creek, not that I would ever do that! Seems that the early eighties are not much different than today, just a different crowd.
    The ATV Club has plans to clear the inside trail, provided of course that DNR does not object. Lots of windfall in there blocking the trail.
    That's the trail alright. The fire is burning right down it. I use it often as a change of scenery. It wasn't blocked last month when I rode it all the way. Of course trees die and fall over all the time. When the wind and blowing silt are bad it's nice to take that trail and stay out of the duststorm

Mike Ericson and I rode it not too long ago and parts of it were surely closed, unless somebody has hit it hot and heavy with a chainsaw, it really needs attention!

Under control I guess. They had Hot Shots on it. They had firefighters get there on atvs.