Thread: Tool Kit

Default Tool Kit

I will be going up to the artic to do some flying and caribou hunting this year with my 7GCBC and was wondering what people carry for tools in there planes. I will have a good base camp and additional supplies trucked up there. Thanks.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I will be going up to the artic to do some flying and caribou hunting this year with my 7GCBC and was wondering what people carry for tools in there planes. I will have a good base camp and additional supplies trucked up there. Thanks.

Terry
    A sat phone will fix anything just call and your buddies will be there with exactly what you need.

Aside from that I don't carry much. Some wrenches 1/4" to 5/8, vice grip, needle nose, crescent, channel locks, saftey wire, couple of screw drivers and of course a roll of duct tape!

The arctic.......doesn't get much better than that. Have fun!

That's an excellent question and should make for a good thread. I have asked the same question in the past to other pilots and basically got, "You need whatever it will take to fix your plane and get you home".
    OK, kinda vague, so I have narrowed it down to 7/16, 9/16/, 1/4 wrenches, safety wire, pliers, screwdrivers, plugs and a plug wrench, vise grips, duct tape, fuses. So far the only thing I have had to fix was when I pulled my carb heat off on final. Came loose at the box and the screw driver fixed it. Good thing as the strip was short getting out. Maybe I could have leaned in a pinch, but I had the tools to fix it before take off. Would love to hear some more experienced thoughts on tools.

Default 3/8"

I like tigermusky's tool kit except on most of the planes I work on you need a 3/8" wrench more than a 1/4". I would also throw in a 3/4" wrench or what ever it takes to get your plug wire off. A hose clamp and zipties can be awesome in a tool kit too. Maybe throw in a couple of common size screws and nuts cause I always seem to lose 1 while Im working. Also throw in some dikes so you can cut the safety wire easily.

If you are getting stuff trucked up and plan on doing a lot of off airport work for an extended period of time than bring along stuff to repair your tires and a file to file your prop from those pesky rock dings.

Hope this helps

Talking Tools

Spare tail wheel hub, tire, and tubes along with an air pump.