Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ugly stick rod ?

Default Ugly stick rod ?

about 5-6 Years ago I bought a 1 piece, medium action 8' 6" bait casting rod with the trigger finger and for some reason my fishing buddy tried to pull the old switch a ru on me and stick my reel on a 8' 6" 2 piece thinking i wouldn't relize it wasen't my pole because i think he broke it but he won't fess up to it. But my problem is this, I need a new one now but the only ones i can find are 2 piece or 1 piece and 7' long and I don't like 2 piece rods i would like this same rod but i think it is discontinued which pisses me off cause i used this rod for kings, lings, silvers, rock fish, and rainbow fishing it was the best all around pole i have ever used and want to find this excact rod does anyone know where i could get one or have one they will sell I have tried both wal-marts(which is where i bought it)sportsmans wharehouse and b&j's and only have what is stated above thanks for any help you can give.

Try http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...=SearchResults
    If it can be had they can get it for you. There is a special going on now for a tackle bag with ugly sticks.
    Hhounds

thanks hhounds but looked at them and e-bay along with other sites on the web but could only find 7'ers. I have an e-mail sent to shakespear but don't know when or if they will return it. I guess the last thing on the list would be to have someone make one for me or look at some of the small shops that make there own and see if I like them but it will be hard to find something that i could compare to that specific rod. anyone that could give somemore incite to this please do

There are so much better rods out there then ugly sticks. I think I still have a 2 piecer that I procured from a guy leaving that I've never used, you're more then welcomed to it.

They just dont have the back bone in the hook setting department I like, and the action of the rod itself really leaves something to be desired.

If youre interested shoot me an email. I'm in Fairbanks. Leave Wed nite for a month and a half.

Dan
    dawn-dan@gci.net

If you can swallow your pride...buy one of the "ugly-stik lite PRO" (with the green and blue stiching/sold exclusively by wal-mart). Probably only comes in 2-pieces. They're a GREAT rod!! More sensitive than the ugly-stik with the red stiching. I have 5 of these (been fishing them for 8 years) from 4 1/2 footer to a 7 footer. The bigger ones are fiberglass and graphite. I LOVE them!! I fish steelhead and big toothie critters with the 7 footer. Plenty of back-bone in the medium action. Not sure if they come in 8 1/2 foot. Just my 2 cents.

swallowing my pride is a hard thing to do i did look at an 8' g-loomis today that I really liked but price tag had $180 on it and that is a big swallow but not out of the question and had every feature of the ugly stick but 6'' shorter but a better quality made rod bar non. I like the ugly stick not only because of the already mentioned reasons but I also liked how it preformed on the down rigger can't get that kind of arc out of the ugly stick 7'er. I think sooner or later i will find a rod for me and I will be ****ed if i'm gonna go by 2 rods i will find one that has the feel i'm looking for

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    There are so much better rods out there then ugly sticks. I think I still have a 2 piecer that I procured from a guy leaving that I've never used, you're more then welcomed to it.

They just dont have the back bone in the hook setting department I like, and the action of the rod itself really leaves something to be desired.

If youre interested shoot me an email. I'm in Fairbanks. Leave Wed nite for a month and a half.

Dan
    dawn-dan@gci.net

True, Dan, but those Ugly Sticks can really take some abuse.
    I have eight of them in several actions; we've been trashing them as a family for many years. They may lack some sensitivity but they make up for it in sheer longevity.
    I'll always be a big U.S. fan....

btw...heading out for some gobbler action?

Frank

fullkurl you are dead on, they take alot of abuse and if i was to break it go to the store and buy another one for $50 unless of course you run into the problem i'm in

My wife uses the 7' for kings and silvers. She has had it near 10 years. Sams club carries these combos.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Fk,

There is a lot of truth to that statement. From what I know about them, personal use anyways. They are noodle rods. Sure once you HOOK the fish, they have the backbone to land them, hooking them is a different story. And the sensitivity...is so so... I've experienced these in other rods too. Kasilof trip rings a vivid reminder of junk rods. LOTS of missed fish! Sharp hooks, good line, good leaders, the bites were there, the rod just didnt have the backbone to bury a hook. Waste of $$$ imho.

I do know if I break my lamy's or any of my other rods they'll get replaced if not partial at for free minus shipping. They aint cheap but they are much better rods. My two Kenai guides have been through hell and back and show no worse for wear, are a much better rod, better for hooking power, better for fighting, may not take a wrap around my knee but hell who cares. Do you really need that? These are my two go to king rods, and red rods, and everything else bait casting rods. They are also the rods I put in the hands of people who dont have the gear, and most notice quality right off the bat. They aint mercede's but they aint mopars

I've found these rods floating down river broken and have given them away thats how bad I dont like them. To each there own. They may be good flipping rods for reds, or maybe coho's, but for hard mouthed kings I'd stay away! My personal experience. Like I said I dont think I threw the one I have away. You've got first dibs on it 06, free and clear just come get it. Has a cheap spinning reel on it too that you can have or give away and make some kid happy even if it lasts only one fish lol. I leave 02 apr 1900 hours and wont be back till 21 may. So if you want it you'd best be at my door before 1800 tomorrow if not sooner.

I would have to say no thanks it's not what i'm looking for but thank you for the offer it's very kind of you. I can honestly say i've never had a problem hooking the kings on the deshka or the trout in the upper keni with mine or any other type of fish for that matter but you are in my opinion right on one thing... to each his own

The 7' rods are very stiff. To stiff for trout in my opinion but great for salmon.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Dug her out while I was looking for a couple flyrods for steelies and crappies (yup crappies).

It's a 7' us medium action 10-25lb spinning rod. It's not new, but it aint going to cost ya a dime either. Just get it and take it off my hands. The reel's not on the rod so I'll have to dig it up if I already havent thrown it (which is unlikely knowing me).

I leave tonight, get back to Fairbanks may 21 (LOOOOTS of turkeys and crappies and steelies ).

Im going to be fishing a fair bit while Im visiting (June to August). I am thinking of bringing 3 different rods. The only reason I can afford 3 rods is because Im getting 3 ugly sticks. Ugly and cheap.

I dont think Ive ever fished with any rod over $100 so I cant really tell the difference. Im sure if you're used to the $150-$200 rods, you might hate the $60 one though. Same way someone driving a mercedes might have hated my 1991 dogde caravan I used to drive 2 years ago .

As well, like most tourists, I think Ill be hooking more silvers, reds, pinks and chums than I will any kings. So as for setting the hook, I HOPE the ugly sticks will suffice.

I personally would go with the loomis. I own one and love it. It is far more sensitive than my lamiglass, and can take some abuse. I don't know how many salmon I have caught with it, but I would say probably in the 100 area, and it has landed most of the fish I have hooked. It has the backbone to set the hook in a hard king mouth, as well as the sensitivity to consistently hook reds left and right. Mine is an 8'6" rod, so if you are set on that length, g loomis does make them. I don't think you will be disappointed with the loomis.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I personally would go with the loomis. I own one and love it. It is far more sensitive than my lamiglass, and can take some abuse. I don't know how many salmon I have caught with it, but I would say probably in the 100 area, and it has landed most of the fish I have hooked. It has the backbone to set the hook in a hard king mouth, as well as the sensitivity to consistently hook reds left and right. Mine is an 8'6" rod, so if you are set on that length, g loomis does make them. I don't think you will be disappointed with the loomis.
    Is this the rod you use?

http://cgi.ebay.com/G-Loomis-HSR1023...QQcmdZViewItem

Default Meat rods

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    Im going to be fishing a fair bit while Im visiting (June to August). I am thinking of bringing 3 different rods. The only reason I can afford 3 rods is because Im getting 3 ugly sticks. Ugly and cheap.

I dont think Ive ever fished with any rod over $100 so I cant really tell the difference. Im sure if you're used to the $150-$200 rods, you might hate the $60 one though. Same way someone driving a mercedes might have hated my 1991 dogde caravan I used to drive 2 years ago .

As well, like most tourists, I think Ill be hooking more silvers, reds, pinks and chums than I will any kings. So as for setting the hook, I HOPE the ugly sticks will suffice.

Ugly sticks do some things well, and largely that is offer a soft tip and absolutely refuse to break...and dont cost much ( I guess that's three) Other than that I'd never want to do any finesse work with them and largely consider them huckin sticks for big rigs for salmon. Then again, if you've never felt the soft tick of a walleye take on a high modulus graphite rod...it's really all the same, but it all depends on what you are lookin for from the experience...personally, I want to feel every wiggle and Ugly sticks just won't do that.

sodabiscuit,

Mine is a Salmon Mooching rod, it is 8'6" and is rated for 10-30lb test. It is a Mod-Fast action. The model number is SAMR1024C. It handles anything I can throw at it. From Ling cod - to reds, it is an awesome rod. A little on the expensive side, at 300 dollars, also I think this rod falls under g loomis' lifetime warranty.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Default Ugly Sticks

used to be guaranteed for life, now only for 5 years. I agree they hold up well and I have a few. But I do have to question why they no longer guarantee them for life anymore.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

A friend left his ugly stik leaning on my car... I ran it over and Shakespeare replaced it.

The inner ring on the top eye of one of my Ugly Stiks fell out (snagging) and they sent me a new eye as well as a part for my real which was also damaged in that activity.

I like a company that backs it's product.

06 ... do not email them. Call their 800 number.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast