Thread: Is the Kenia runable from the lake to Jims landing?

Cool Is the Kenia runable from the lake to Jims landing?

I have a new cateraft and would like to run and fish the river. I have never ran this river or operated a larger raft before. Is it fairly safe and is there a shuttle service there? How long of a drift is it? SHOULD I use flesh flies and sculpin patterns? Sorry for all the ? but need to know how safe the river is and is it fishable yet thanks for any input.

Check your pm's one sent
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default I've heard

That it's wide open, but haven't verified. That was from a kayaker though, not too sure how much water is in it. THe guage is at 5 feet though.

Chris

Yesterday (4/1/08) I floated from Sportsman's to Jim's. It was a great day to be out and the river was wide open without any major obstacles. Only saw one other boat out there. I haven't run the stretch from the lake to Sportsman's yet this year, but it should be fine. The area in front of the Princess is a narrow chute and overall the river is pretty slow. Wildman's is offering shuttle service, but it's wise to call ahead and make sure there will be somebody there to move your rig (there wasn't anybody available yesterday).

Arrow Upper kenai river update

Took a drive yesterday and headed down to the upper with my raft. I did not plan on floating and did not. Just got the boat down there put together and ready to run the rest of the year. At the bridge water is very low of course and flowing slowwwwwwwwwwwwww. Driving to sportsmans and stopping and checking the upper there is the usual 1 main channal and the Ice on the bars for pulling over is not bad at all. The princess chute is VERY VERY narrow. It could be bumpy but nothing major. Sportsmans still has the ice edge at the end of the ramp but it is shrinking and a couple of drifters launched while i was there. The only thing about sportsmans to jims is all the bars i could see still have just juge rims of ice on them. pulling over anywhere is not an option but there are some places to get in and fish. Low water again and just the normal early float stuff. Very runnable but glad i did not try to do it alone in the lovely spring weather yesterday. Oh and then waking up to 6 inches of it on my truck this morning just about put me over the edge.
    Last edited by alaskachuck; 04-06-2008 at 08:46. Reason: spelling
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight