Thread: Bear baiting, Friday creek ??

Default Bear baiting, Friday creek ??

This is my first year baiting. I think, thought, I found a good spot around Friday Creek but now that I think about it I thought I've heard that someone lives out around there. If so, I don't think AF&G will allow my bait site because it will be closer then a mile from the cabin or house. I've rode all over out there for the last 2 years and have never came across a cabin in that area. But a mile is a big area.

If that doesn't work out I was also wondering about baiting in the Bird Creek, Chugach management area. Is this allowed in 14C? I've been through the regs and haven't found anything saying yes or no.

This is my first year baiting and trying to find a decent spot seems to be the hardest thing.

I tried stopping by AF&G today but they are closed for Seward Day so that didn't work out so well. I have to work tomorrow so I might just list all my questions and ask them Wed. when I go down there.

Any help is greatly appriciated.

Jarrod

I don't run a bait station, so I may not be 100% correct of some of this - but I'm sure someone will chime in if not.

If you can bait at Friday Creek without breaking the 1 mile regulation (which I think you can), you won't be alone. There are a number of people who have shared on here that they bait in the Knik area, so I can only imagine that there are lots of others as well. As for 14C, I seem to remember that you can't bait there, but you should double check with F&G.

Are you set on baiting somewhere that you can ride an ATV? My brother and some friends of his ran a bait station for a number of years that was in a non-motorized area that they hiked into. They carried the bait a little over a mile off the road and were very, very successful. It took a little more work, but they were all alone and within a two hour drive of home. Might be worth looking into walk-in areas instead.

Default The cabins are

well, one is just 1/2 mile or so off the west end of the airstrip west of Friday Creek. This is the one that is a regular residence. There is a cabin just west of the meadow between Friday Creek and Wolf Point but it isn't lived in, except weekends so I don't know if it counts.
    The whole Friday Creek Valley will quite likely be Eklutna land next year so I wouldn't invest a lot of time in building a bait station.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Default Friday creek

You can get a bait stand in the Friday creek area but there are alot of stands in that little area. You have to do some walking around in there to make sure you are not putting your stand on top of someone else. When I first started in that area I put in a small platform stand and two days later I realized someone elses stand was very close to mine. So I had to move to another location.

Thanks for the help, I'll try to find another spot.

Exclamation Bait Constraints

Have you been through the bear bait clinic?
    Not bashing... just trying to help you 'be legal'. It's required for 14A and 14B. As well as many other GMUs. See page 27 from current (07-08) regs.

Any dwelling - to include seasonally occupied cabins requires a 1 mile corridor.

Don't count on ADF&G to tell you if you are on top of another hunter, or within a home or road. If they do, it will probably be in the field where it is too late.
    To the best of my knowledge, the good folks at ADF&G handing you your permit don't even know where the other sites are -- they simply load the coordinates into the computer; no google earth or similar. The troopers will use the info to investigate your station if the need arises.

You are right - it is tough to find a good bait site near Anchor-town. By near I mean within a reasonable one way drive time of less than 2 hours.

Best advise -- think outside the box; get away from the beaten path.

Bird Creek is closed to baiting
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default friday creek

baited out there with a buddy 3 years ago--no kidding--there were like 9 bait stations on that hill and no consistent hitting b/c of that. I would try somewhere else.
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Anchorage View Post
    baited out there with a buddy 3 years ago--no kidding--there were like 9 bait stations on that hill and no consistent hitting b/c of that. I would try somewhere else.

Yeah I have heard the same thing. Waste of time.

A couple years ago I heard that there were 300 bait stations registered from jim creek to the glacier. I expect it is the most heavily baited area in the state.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Yeah, if you set up a bear baiting station out that way, then you really ain't interested in shooting one.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    A couple years ago I heard that there were 300 bait stations registered from jim creek to the glacier. I expect it is the most heavily baited area in the state.
    That’s nearly double the number of registered bear bait sites for all of GMU 14 (page 181):

…..Baiting Participation. The number of hunters using bait during the report period in Unit 14 was close to the 13-year average of 157 permit holders (Table 5)……..

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Thatís nearly double the number of registered bear bait sites for all of GMU 14 (page 181):
    That information is like 10 years old.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    That information is like 10 years old.
    It was published in December, 2002, it's the official ADFG black bear management report, it's the most recent published, and clearly cited a 13 year average.

But, if you prefer to believe that there are 300 registered bear bait sites between Jim Creek and the Knik Glacier because somebody said they heard somebody else say it, by all means, you are free to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    But, if you prefer to believe that there are 300 registered bear bait sites between Jim Creek and the Knik Glacier because somebody said they heard somebody else say it, by all means, you are free to do so.
    Not at all. Just that old information is, well, just that -- old information.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Originally Posted by Mark
    Not at all. Just that old information is, well, just that -- old information.
    That's as good as it gets. The only way to get more current info is call Tony Kavalok at 746-3600, and he'll probably just give you a verbal estimate off the top of his head.