Thread: Antlers in Velvet

Default Antlers in Velvet

Shot a decent buck yesterday morning and want to know the best way to dry the velvet on the antlers. Is there any way to boil the skull without damaging the velvet? Any tips and advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If you are going to be holding on to them for a while and not getting them to the taxidermist too soon poor gasoline on them it will help perserve and dry them out. Or get a syringe and inject amonia ( I believe its amonia it may be something else but I am no expert in this just going off what I have read) in them till its coming out the bottom. Start at the tips and keep squeezing it in till it comes out the bases.

Default velvet

Burton, Hank Carlson got a nice buck here some years back that was in velvet and mounted it. You might get ahold of him. If I remember, I'll ask him in the morning what he did. We just got in from a halibut trip and have to deliver.

I've used denatured alcohol in the past. Used a needle to poke some holes in the skin and then soaked the antlers in the denatured alcohol, still came out a little matted but not too bad. So far it has lasted 17 years.

--Bill

Default Hank

Burton, Hank said with his buck he tried injecting embalming fluid in the velvet but had poor luck. Next he flash froze it as that is supposed to freeze dry the blood. It seems to have worked as he's had it like 8 years now and the velvet is still on it and there is no smell that I've ever detected.

I'll post pix if I can find them.

Burton - Any pics of the buck to share? I love those early season deer - beautiful and tastier than their late fall counterparts.

-Brian

Default Photos

Here's one... if I can get it to work
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good job, like your shot placement also,no damagad meat!

Awesome deer - thanks for sharing!

-Brian

Thanks guys, yeah he didn't give me anything else to work with... I watched him for 5 minutes or so, waiting for a slightly better shot, but he was facing me head on and with the fog rolling in, it was a now or never decision. Turned out I only lost meat along two vertebrae on the right side of his neck, about the best I could hope for. It felt like a long pack out from over 2000 feet on wet slippery slopes. Fun though, can't wait to do it again!

Boy this year has flown buy....its hunting season again.
    So where abouts are you hunting??

Regards,

Jim

I took an Axis deer last year that my taxidermist had freeze-dried. It turned out perfect.

Double post