Thread: Spring Black bear

Cool Spring Black bear

Question for you all. I have been hunting black bears over bait for the last 2 years with a 7MM. I have yet to shoot a bear. It was pointed out to me that that is way too much gun for an interior black bear. What do you think? Is it too much? If so what caliber should i use?
    Thanks in advance

Default Teeth and claws hurt!

No such thing as too much gun IMO. Dead is dead. Personally, I use a 375 H&H. Use what you are proficient shooting. The 7mm mag is a great round.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default bear rifle

I doubt that your lack of sucess can be laid on the rifle. I'd continue to use the 7mm & tell your buddies to pound sand.
    What do they use? have they killed any bears in the past 2 years. if not, why are they giving you advice?
    Over bait almost any centerfire rifle is suitable blackie medicine. Are they afraid you'll kill a bear "deader" by using too much rifle?
    Never could understand the concept of using "too much" gun to hunt something.
    Gary

Default It is

It is too much gun. Just use a bow.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default nope

I have a hard time with the concept of "too much gun." Its not as if you're out there hunting black tails with a 416 Rigby. You also have to consider that where there are black bears, there might also be grizzlies. 7mm seems like a reasonable choice if that is what you have/like.

7mm is more than reasonable...My buddy shot his blackie last year with a .378wby...

Talking Too much Gun???

Why use any gun, just use a spear, much more exciting that way.

Default never too much

when your dealing with bears. Your 7mm will do just fine. Make sure you are shooting a quality bullet. Good luck!

Default 375 H & H

I've only shot 1 bear - it was a black bear. I killed it with a 375 H & H. Yes, there were several brown bears in the area.

I agree with the statements "there is no such thing as too dead". Shoot what is comfortable. For me it's the 375.

BTW, after shooting the black bear I took the 375 to Africa on a plains game hunt. I killed all my antelope with the 375 - from kudu to bushbuck. This June I'll be headed to Africa again - this time for lioness. Guess what I'm taking.

the 7 mag?

Its good to have enough gun to break the bear down, or cause massive implosion of its organs. Shoot the 7mm, it's not too much gun, specially if a grizz crosses paths with you on the way into the bait. u might then be wishing for more gun, not less. No matter the size of your gun, make a good shot. End of story.

It was pointed out to me that that is way too much gun for an interior black bear.
    Probably by someone who has not shot a black bear either.

"Too much" is very different from "minimum needed". A blackie can certainly be killed by a less potent cartridge, but a 7mag is just fine.

Default my 2 cents

Took my blackie last year with the wife's .270 and a regular 130 gr soft point bullet. The bear went 20 yards and the famous death moan persued. All in all: make a good shot using what ever gun you are comfortable with. I will be using the bow this year.