Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ninilchik Fishing

Default Ninilchik Fishing

Hello Folks,

I just landed a job as Chef de Cuisine at a small lodge a bit south of Ninilchik for the season, starting May 1st. My compensation includes several hours a day off and a pick-up to use (as long as I truck out the trash). My boss runs two 6-pack boats and concentrates on halibut, salmon, rockfish, and ling cod. While he is a veritable font of information on those species, reading between the lines he's a little contemptuous of other opportunities. Does anyone have some ideas for a fellow with a pick-up, gear, and time on his hands? Do people fish the beach here? Are there flounder, dolly, northern pike, trout, grayling in the area? Razor clams? I won't have a boat, but can borrow a 4-wheeler for remote areas. I'm sure I'll be able to learn a lot once I get there but any advance knowledge you folks choose to share would be greatly appreciated.

How did I land this job? An incredible cascade of coincidences. Does it pay well? Not really. Would I happily pay to do it if I could afford to do so? Absolutley! Really looking forward to a great summer of '08!

Thumbs up

Meat, the fishing opportunities abound there.

Deep Creek has some fabulous King fishing, just be sure to watch the openings and closures carefully.
    The halibut fishing a mile off of the beach is to die for (I've caught them there with my Avon raft) and the razor clams and mussels? Well, get that steamer ready...

Frank

Thumbs up Lucky

Wow, if you do your research and ask the questions on here and then talk to the locals when you get here your gonna think your in fishing heaven. With the truck you will be withing a short distance of some great fishing. There are alot of older threads that can help you out be as the season gets closer here the info will be growing each day. Check the threads and have a blast up here
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Ah, the chef...

My congratulations.

Some of those lodge guests just might be caviar consumers. One of the most expensive garnishes in the entire world is about to wind up free in your hands.

Caviar makes a nice touch as a prelude to dining. If you feature it as a topping on Salmon Feutchinni Alfredo, they'll go nuts.

May your summer be full of great culinary memories...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Default Caviar??!!!?

Meat, do yourself a favor and grab a copy of The Highway Angler it will be invaluable. It's written by an actual Alaskan, and is full of good options for the region you are gonna be in. You're going to be smack dab in the middle of all the action, which is a double-edged sword in that there are a LOT of fishing opportunities to be had, and a LOT of people pursuing them. You may want to look into using any (if you get them) days off and either air or water taxiing to a little more remote locales, this is where you'll find the true Alaska, more peaceful and uncluttered. Dive into the archives here and study up, if I can be any help shoot me a PM.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 04-01-2008 at 08:38. Reason: Removed comment
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Default Sturgeon

There are sturgeon in Alaska, green and white. The green has been found as far north as the Bering Sea.

The word "caviar" is not specific to sturgeon, as even Alaskan salmon companies advertise salmon roe as Alaskan Salmon Caviar.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

This Alaskan certainly didn't know that salmon roe can't be called caviar. In fact, I've seen it on menus referred to exactly as that. I suppose us less cultured folks don't always abide by such specific classifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    There are sturgeon in Alaska, green and white. The green has been found as far north as the Bering Sea.
    When was the last time one was caught in Kachemak Bay? Where is the caviar of "locally" caught sturgeon available? In the same aisle as the autographed picture of Bigfoot?

The word "caviar" is not specific to sturgeon, as even Alaskan salmon companies advertise salmon roe as Alaskan Salmon Caviar.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caviar

Caviar is the processed, salted roe of certain species of fish, most notably the sturgeon
    ....And, again, my posts pointing out poor information are deleted....Gee....Wonder why?$$?
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

Sorry Brian, marketing ploys aside, I think if you tried to replace Beluga Caviar with salted humpy roe....well...<grin>.....There'd be egg on your face....

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Read your own link, buddy. While it is clear that the origin of caviar is tied to the sturgeon and that this variety is most desirable, the article makes it clear that caviar can also come from cod, whitefish, and even *gasp* salmon.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Read your own link, buddy. While it is clear that the origin of caviar is tied to the sturgeon and that this variety is most desirable, the article makes it clear that caviar can also come from cod, whitefish, and even *gasp* salmon.
    Pssst...I read it, hence why I pointed out "certain species of fish most notably sturgeon"....And yes, they DO cite salmon.....ATLANTIC salmon....Or didja miss that part?

Salmon Roe is a delicacy indeed, but is not true caviar.....But I guess these days we don't care about details, as long as it has the word Alaskan in it and it makes money..........

Touche', Brian.

C'mon Hippie, let the nonres author rope-a-dope go. You're better than that.
    Aren't you presently in Miami? And you're posting here? Horrors!

Meat, I second the Highway Angler, another great read...It belongs in the glovebox of that old truck you'll be using.

Default Quote

Humm........
    I remember back in the 80's chatting with a visiting anthropologist who was in Seward doing some field work on some of the old native sites along the shores of Kenai Lake. According to her (and from a few of the old timers around Seward), back in the Russian era of Alaska there was documentation of Sturgeon being caught by Natives out of Kenai Lake.

I've never seen any solid proof of this, but that is one deep azzed lake and giving all the food that has to be on the bottom from all the salmon carcasses out of the Kenai and Snow river...It sure seems feasible....

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush
    Humm........
    Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie
    I remember back in the 80's chatting with a visiting anthropologist who was in Seward doing some field work on some of the old native sites along the shores of Kenai Lake. According to her (and from a few of the old timers around Seward), back in the Russian era of Alaska there was documentation of Sturgeon being caught by Natives out of Kenai Lake.

I've never seen any solid proof of this, but that is one deep azzed lake and giving all the food that has to be on the bottom from all the salmon carcasses out of the Kenai and Snow river...It sure seems feasible....

And, AGAIN Dave, as I have stated, there has been historical EVIDENCE but no recent PROOF. If you want to keep obfuscating the issue, it only proves how deluded, and diluted your argument is.....Show me the "Kenai Peninsula Sturgeon Caviar" can.

..............Still waiting.....

start another thread and do tell.........

Welcome to the ODD we like the "truth" and the "debate" as onesided as possible.......
    What debate? Oh, you mean the thread hijack that has absolutely nothing to do with the question posed in this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    start another thread and do tell.........
    No point. It's be censored beyond recognition.

Default All righty, then....

Thanks to Hippie et. alli for the tips. The book is on the way.

From a pro culinary viewpoint, the term caviar has generally been reserved for the Russian and Iranian sturgeon roes (beluga, caspian, sevruga, osetra) although recently it seems to be open season on the term with pretty much any roe being called caviar by anyone who wants to tart up their menu a bit. Domestic farmed caviar is on the rise, too although there are the usual quality concerns endemic to any farmed fish product. I've actually seen "shad caviar" on a menu which IMHO is a bit much.

It's exciting to hear that you have a ghostly sturgeon population up there. It's a popular game fish here in the SF Bay-Delta (the whites, that is; the blues are a no-go). They are aggressivelymanaged here with slot limits, annual limits, report cards, DF&G on it like white on rice on a paper plate in the middle of a snow storm (as they should be), poachers shot at dawn (I wish), sheriff depts. and municipalities and the coast guard and anyone one with a badge and a boat pitching in. It's long days with your line in your fingertips waiting for that deceptively gentle "pump". Every once in a while you'll get one in the slot and then it's dinnertime!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Getting past all that posturing...

... I live only a short drive from Ninilchik. It's a great place, and between clams, various species of salmon, and the wiley halibut, you should keep busy. If you can get ahold of a drift boat, some people do launch themselves from the beach at the legal point, and do well not far from land.

I love Ninilchik and would live there if I could.

I think there probably are sturgeon in Kenai Lake, and maybe Skilak and Tustumena, but no one has ever attempted to target them, and to my knowledge (unlike Bristol Bay) no one has ever caught one in a net in saltwater.

P.S. what about calling processed salmon roe "poor man's caviar"?

Meat, shoot me a PM if you'd like and I'll see if we can meet up for some fishing. I float the Upper Kenai quite often and am always happy to show a guy the ropes, if you're interested let me know.

Sayak, I agree, as I have posted in the past Kenai,Skilak, and Tustumena Lakes all look like excellent habitat and word has it they USED to produce sturgeon "back in the day". I know my friends and I tried for many years both from shore and in boats to catch one in Kenai Lake. No sturgeon, but some DANDY rainbows and lakers, and on a rare occasion something would snap us off. More than likely it was some type of submerged debris, but the fisherman in us had us saying "That was a MONSTER sturgeon". Who knows, someday hopefully, someone will connect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast