Thread: Are Women allowed at Knik Glacier?

Default Are Women allowed at Knik Glacier?

I have been reading this forum for a couple months. Thank You for all the great info. Question: Why are all the photos at the glacier of only men? I have been trying to talk my husband into taking myself and our kids out their. When is the best time to go?

Default Any time is the best time!

Getting to the glacier is a year around ride, depending on your tolerance of cold anyway! The ride is actually easier in the winter, the puddles are frozen and the snow drifts into the holes and smooths them out. Right now is a little iffy as the ice bridges over Jim Creek are probably unreliable and there may be ice ledges where the ice is already gone. I'm sure you can make it through but it may be a little more work. The ATV Club will have a ride to the glacier either this weekend or next, check the web site www.alaskaatvclub.org for our schedule and run out with us.
    Mike
    (and yes, plenty of women make the ride!)
    Last edited by Mike Echo; 03-31-2008 at 10:28. Reason: adding footnote
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Uh, oh, guys, the secret of our "utlimate man cave" has been leaked. Quick, conceal the Playboy bunny hottub, bury the cigars, put the steaks and beers back in the cooler, and hide the remote to the big screen TV's!

Answer #1. What glacier? Nope, nothing to see here, keep moving along...

Answer #2: Like a good video game or Scooby Doo cartoon, the path to the glacier contains many progressively harder challenges, the most unsurmountable of which is the combination of Metal Creek and the runoff from the glacier itself. This time of year you can get to about 2 miles from the glacier before you encounter this fast moving and occasionally deep river. The easiest time to visit is around December, particularly if there has been unseasonably cold temperatures and little snowfall. At that point, you just ride across the ice.

Thats because we were taking the pictures

sr12345, your response cracked me up! Had to clean the coffee off my computer monitor after it sprayed out my nose. Where is the "secret man cave"? I am always up for a medium rare steak and a good cold beer!

Mike Echo: Thank You, I will check out the website and maybe see you out there.

sr12345: I could still hear my husband laughing all the way from Elmo after he hung up. But now he wants to go Thank You!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sr12345 View Post
    This time of year you can get to about 2 miles from the glacier before you encounter this fast moving and occasionally deep river. The easiest time to visit is around December, particularly if there has been unseasonably cold temperatures and little snowfall. At that point, you just ride across the ice.
    After making hundreds of trips across Metal Creek in every month of the year, never once have I seen it where I couldn't get across during every month except june, july, and august on atv. I mean not even going as deep as over the tires when you know the proper lines to cross.

Default Are woman allowed?

I married a couple up on the Glacier about 1989, I am sure one of them was a woman (didn't check), marriage lasted slightly longer then the Silver run.

Quote Originally Posted by sr12345 View Post
    Uh, oh, guys, the secret of our "utlimate man cave" has been leaked. Quick, conceal the Playboy bunny hottub, bury the cigars, put the steaks and beers back in the cooler, and hide the remote to the big screen TV's!

Answer #1. What glacier? Nope, nothing to see here, keep moving along...

Answer #2: Like a good video game or Scooby Doo cartoon, the path to the glacier contains many progressively harder challenges, the most unsurmountable of which is the combination of Metal Creek and the runoff from the glacier itself. This time of year you can get to about 2 miles from the glacier before you encounter this fast moving and occasionally deep river. The easiest time to visit is around December, particularly if there has been unseasonably cold temperatures and little snowfall. At that point, you just ride across the ice.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Deepercreek View Post
    I married a couple up on the Glacier about 1989, I am sure one of them was a woman (didn't check), marriage lasted slightly longer then the Silver run.
    Well, I have to say that is about the most unusual answer I have ever seen here!!
    EricL

Default Unusual

But true. Except for the package check, I was certain the gender was as advertised. Not sure why they wanted to get married there, but we had a great ride and BBQ anyway.......

Quote Originally Posted by Val View Post
    Mike Echo: Thank You, I will check out the website and maybe see you out there.

sr12345: I could still hear my husband laughing all the way from Elmo after he hung up. But now he wants to go Thank You!!!!
    Go prepared! It is a fun trip and a fairly easy trail, but things can, and have, gone wrong really fast. Take enough supplies to stay over night if need be. You probably won't need it, but better safe then sorry.

My wife has made it there with her Griz 350 in Dec no problems, but she took pics of me there and I did not take any of her you know us men.

Default This is at the glacier...

My wife and kids on one of the outcroppings left behind near the glacier edge.