Thread: Shrimping PWS

Default Shrimping PWS

Just saw the sportsman show schedule. Looks like there will be 2 Shrimping Seminars. April 3rd at 7pm and April 4th at 4pm. Also on that note weather permitting I plan on going out the first 2 days of the opener.
    anyone else taking there boat out like to team up?

Smile

not going out until the 18th, it will be my first try in PWS so the class might be a good thing to check out, call name is sjofugl, hit me up if your out there. good luck
    20ft Shamrock W/ CHEVY 350

Hey guys,
    Go to the seminars(wish i had the time) then come check out my goodies and tell me what the experts say and i'll give you a one on one seminar in the potbuilder style of shrimping . looking forward to meeting lots of you guys & gals at the show, i'll be in Boeke #2 booth 434. Look for the big stack of pots in assorted colors

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Regulation Changes

I saw a reference to new shrimping regulations for 2008. Does anybody know what has been changed or added?

Default ????

I have not seen anything proposed and I am on an advisory committee. Doesn't mean that someone did not sneak one in though.

Only change of late was last year when they caught the nylon mesh pot escape mechanism size up to the larger wire mesh escape mechanism. Don't go by the picture in the regulations, go by the wording. The picture is wrong.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Reference

What got me asking about the changes was the Anchorage Sportsmans Show supplement in the paper. The seminar description for Shrimping in Prince William Sound reads:

"Where to drop your shrimp pots for the best success, how deep to set your pots and new regulations for 2008! With Brian Marson, Fisheries Biologits II of ADF&G"

Maybe a misprint or maybe just ADN using the description from last year. I don't know but it sure did peak my interest.

Default Not sure

I found a PowerPoint presentation by him for 2007 on shrimping. Nothing new in it. Still has the detail wrong on the escapement mechanism for rigid pots, 3" instead of 4". The drawing does not even reflect the way the proposal was submitted. Tying the door in four spots does not allow the door to fall off all the time. If the lower RC rots and not the top, the door just hangs there. As it would if the opposing corners rotted off. The door would stay. If the RC does rot, you loose the door.

The original proposal was for the bottom to be hog ringed and just tied at the top. The RC was tied on each edge and only looped through the door. That way, you don't loose the door when the RC falls off and the RC only had to break in one place.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

put a big loop of lightweight twine thru the escape panel and on to the pot and you'll save your door. I asked and showed a brown shirt about this a year or so ago when he was checking out my pots on the back of the boat and he said it was OK.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

might head out there to test out the boat. I will just hang around the falls. Might even jig for some rockfish there.....
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default going nucking futs

I cant wait till shrimping opens, that is one of the funnest thing there is to do. I am going on the 19th and 20th, break up is too slow coming this year, I HAVE TO GET OUT NOW!!!!!!!!

Break up isn't that bad this year. Main thing is how is break up going to do in Whitter this year.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

has anyone heard how the snow is over there, hopefully the launch is clear,

Went to the shrimp seminars at the sportsmans show three times in as many years. Also went shrimping during the summer for a couple weeks during each of those past three years. Fish and Game is generous to send one of their hired hands to stand in front of an eager crowd and give information out. Pretty jaded information though, really. They sorta just shake their heads up and down and say "Boy, that sounds like a good idea, you should try it" when a question is asked about techniques and methods. Depths to fish are mentioned anywhere from 100 to 800 feet. Nothing that a quick read or common sense wouldn't have satisfied.

Fact is, I've held shrimp up to the sunlight and stared through their translucent little bodies from head to tail - never did find a brain.

The big trick to catching shrimp is to go buy some of that PotBuilder fellas traps out in Palmer, and then throw the darn things baited, overboard into the water. Really, that is what 6 weeks of shrimping with 5 pots in different locations in Prince William Sound over a period of 3 years has taught me. The shrimp are the ones that find the trap - if you spend a bunch of time wringing your hands about finding the shrimp - you'll waste the time and swallow a lot of hot air jawboning with guys rocked back on their heels, thumbs tucked into their suspenders, ready to tell you all about the mystifying secrets of shrimping.

If you know someone unable to overcome the urge to drive around with the pots on board looking for the Holy Grail of perfect depth and bottom structure -conditions so rare even the shrimp don't know about these places (or afraid they'll look silly setting pots where no one else is - this is a real phenomena, the entire Pacific Ocean and someone will cruise for hours and set their pot 50 yards from your buoy). - Then have them coil the rope at their feet, hold the baited pot at arms length over the side of the boat and stare at the horizon. Have them take a deep breath and repeat over and over "I can do this, I can do this". Then open up the hand and let the pot fall into the water and go to the bottom. That is the secret that has been so closely guarded all these years - sorta like the Masons.

Tommy

Thanks for the endorsement Tommy Yup you can't catch'um with the pots on the deck and you hits it right on the head, just throw'em in for a hour and see what lives there & set where there ain't any other buoys you might be suprised whats there.
    I like your line about holding them up to the light thats why we eat them.
    If your at the show in anchorage this weekend please stop by and say hello.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Default thanks Tommy SoHappy

Haahaa! I have been seeking info and you seem to have the best yet! I am a newbie and really want some of the big spots! It is all very illusive! But Bait and drop, I got it! Sounds alot like the King seekers in the river the forget to park the boat and let the Kings swim past, they really do swim upstream! At the price of gas this has been the best advice so far!

Hey potbuilder did you make the pots that the guys in finger cove set?

We always just threw our pots into the water and hauled them in a few days later with a ton of shrimp, just kinda guessing.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

[quote=ak_powder_monkey;241773]Hey potbuilder did you make the pots that the guys in finger cove set?

We always just threw our pots into the water and hauled them in a few days later with a ton of shrimp, just kinda guessing.[/quot

Yeah maybe? a few of those setnetters have my gear.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692