Thread: H&R 1871 'Buffalo Classic' ...

Default H&R 1871 'Buffalo Classic' ...

Picked up one of these long-barreled single shots in a trade at the store and came home with me for around $125...finally got it out this weekend and turned it loose with 300 and 350 gr. Hornadys and 4198. Only flies on this rifle are that it's a single shot, and too much drop in the butt (a malady I share with the rifle!) with a steel buttplate (my buttplate is nowhere near as firm as steel!)
    My neck, which has three fused vertebrae since last shooting a big bore of any kind, let me know it's displeasure afterwards, but I went into it with a sinus headache, and hope I just aggravated with the recoil from this rifle.
    Recoil was nowhere near what I felt from the heavier Marlin Cowboy gun I had in this chambering, could be the near foot-longer barrel.
    With 4198 it doesn't 'need' the 32 incher, maybe I should try it with some FFF or Pyrodex CTG before having it chopped!
    Fun gun! With their 'spare barrel' program, I'm shipping it out this week for one of the .38-55 barrels while they're still available for like $88.00, and maybe one of the .45 Colt barrels, to boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post
    too much drop in the butt (a malady I share with the rifle!) with a steel buttplate (my buttplate is nowhere near as firm as steel!)
    Bwa ha ha! Good one!

I'm curious what your loads chrono at? Could you do a little ballistic experimenting for us please? I wouldn't mind one of those and/or a Marlin 1895 or 1895GG.

Darrold, Do you still have the Marlin cowboy? Want to sell it?
    "All bureaucracies are the same. They drain the life out of the truly creative people and develop mindless paperpushers as their critical mass."

"You are a den of Vipers.I intend to rout you out and by the Eternal God I will rout you out.If the people only understood the rank injustice of our money and banking system there would be a revolution before morning"--Andrew Jackson 1828

Default Update...

The 1871 H&R is now on it's way to Massachusets for a .38-55 barrel. They bill it as a 28" tube. Don't think either one of them 'needs' to be that long, but, why cobble 'em up if I don't have to!
    'They' mention that it could take a month to six weeks to get it back to me, so there won't be any updates till then. It'll give me time to round up some more .38-55 brass as I've pretty much given it all to my Dad for his old Marlin. Want to do some 'high-velocity' loadings for it in a new gun, and try some of the pointy bullets in the single shot.
    I'm still looking for another Marlin Cowboy. I see they're still catalogued, and I found one on the rack new the other day in one of the 'Brand X' gunstores here in town for about a hundred bucks under new 'list' price. Might have to sneak out at lunch and lay it away....
    In the meantime, being the glutton for punishment that I am, I discovered a couple of boxes of .458 bullets in the depths on the loading bench, both Hornady bullets, 500 gr. soft points, and a full box of 500 gr. solids......I wonder how they'd perform in this barrel???