Thread: .454 Casull out of a carbine barrel

Default .454 Casull out of a carbine barrel

I was reading up on .454 Casull carbines today, and it seems that the cartridge gets a pretty big boost out of the longer barrels. The articles I read were claiming that certain loads were reaching over 2000 fps out of a 20" barrel with 300 grain bullets.

In your opinion, using properly constructed bullets and respecting the range limitations of the cartridge, would a .454 Casull carbine be powerful enough for hunting moose?

There are people that handgun hunt with a .454 casull, so souping it up through a carbine should pose no problem.

Starting to get close to .45-70 ballistics. Use a good hardcast bullet, aim heart/lung, and keep your distances close. Have a good hunt.

Default the 454 in a 20" will do this

I have a 454 in a lever 20" and with the lil-gun load in the Hodgon book I get 2050 on my chronograph. I believe 31.0 grains of lil-gun with a 300 speer bullet..

It is if you are. Lots of folks are buying the H&R 45colt CR and reaming the chamber to 454 or 460S&W. They make a Handi little carry gun

I have a Rossi 20" 454 and shoot the Lee cast actual 317gr at 1970fps with 30gr Lil gun. I haven't shot a moose with it but I would expect complete penetration on any broadside hit. I would shoot for the front shoulders and expect the moose to go nowhere but down. Keep range at 150yds or less and it should work fine.

Default the 45 colt and 454 are ver close but

Now you will not have to rechamber the 45 long colt if you are a hand loader. just trim the 454 cases back a bit -- the case capicity will be almost the same and you can use this in a well made caribine and in the 45 long colt redhawks.. I am sure you can use it in the 45 blackhawks too... they are very strong and it puts then ahead of the 44 mag.. I mean way ahead,, However do not use this in any other handgun only rugers... now the big difference is the 454 case is much stronger and uses a small rifle primer.. I am sure you would not want to use this load in any of the 45 long colt lever rifles.. I am sure that a handloader will be careful and be safe.

Trim it back about 1/10" if you don't rechamber

335gr Cast Performance over max+ load of H110 = 1950fps out of my 20" Puma 454. My Ruger Only 45 Colt 355gr WFN load that is 1200 in my SBH is 1400+ in the Puma. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a moose with either load out to 100+yds if I had a good clean shot.

In my Puma 480 a modest load runs a 410gr cast out at @1300. This raps the shooter pretty good. I imagine in the casull with a 335gr @ 1950 you'd really get thumped.
    Pete

In a rifle the 454 is pretty much a clone of the 444 marlin, or 3/4 the power of a 45-70.

If you can't kill a moose with any of those chamberings, it's not the guns or cartridges fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    In a rifle the 454 is pretty much a clone of the 444 marlin, or 3/4 the power of a 45-70.

If you can't kill a moose with any of those chamberings, it's not the guns or cartridges fault.
    Well if you can't blame the gun or cartridge what can you blame when the moose gets away?

Seriously, your insights are on the money Paul H.

That combo would be fine for moose.

If you trim a 454 casull case to 45 colt length you end up with a 45 colt case with a small rifle primer.

Any time you seat the bullet deeper into a straight wall case you lose case capacity so you must load accordingly.

You could just ream the throat of a 45 colt to 454 casull length and then seat the bullets further out in a 45 colt case to raise the power level. Wether or not the small rifle primer is needed in the 454 has been debated for a long time but as far as case strength the modern 45 colt cases can do whatever you can do to a shortend 454 casull.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".