Thread: Chitina Campgrounds

Default Chitina Campgrounds

Has anyone heard any updates on the Liberty Falls Campground or The Silver Lake Campground out of Chitina.

Is the State going to reopen Liberty Falls?

Did the Silver Lake Campground sell? Will the new owners be opening it for access again?

Are there any other kid friendly spots to park a camper around there (not at the airport and not on the river)? My kids like to fish the town lake so anything around town would be great.

What does 4 wheeler access down river look like?

I also heard the Tribe opened another grocery store in town. Is this just a rumor?

What are gas prices there. Last year they were about .26 cents cheaper than in Valdez.
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Default Chitina Camping

I have not personally been back to Silver Lake, but I have stopped at Liberty Falls a few times, including last year, didn't see anybody camping there. I know that as you get closer to the town of Chitina, there is those one, two and three mile lakes/ponds and I have seen some people camp along there. Good fishing for kids, but it would be kinda noisy being that it is right along the highway. The last time I've been down the fourwheeler trail, it was pretty hairy! Slides, big boulders in the road in some sections, but definently doable on a fourwheeler. I'm not sure if there has been or will be more slides this spring, and Mark Hems Gas Station, Chitina 1 Stop, always advertises as the cheapest gas in the Copper River Valley, however, it was a little cheaper in Glenallen when I went last year.

Fish On!

Default Liberty Falls

I heard or read somewhere that BLM gave LF campground to the Ahtna tribe and they're charging a $30/day/family fee. I thought it was a State campground. Anybody have any info???
    RIDE TALL, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

Default Chitina

Drove by Liberty Falls last week and it is still closed.

Liberty Falls is still closed to vehicles. Some people stop outside and carry food and gear in. The outhouses are open and clean.

Janelle Eklund and Paul I-forget-his-last-name have Silver Springs now, and yes, I believe they're planning to reopen it.

Ahtna tribe has asserted their rights to land just to the right of access to where you go in to the Chitina fishwheels. You can still get to the wheels, but they do charge for camping now. I'm not sure of the rates, and don't think that applies to the state camp on the other side of the road. Not sure, though.

Angry Silver Lake Camping

I read with great interest in the forum IN the Sticks, that Silver Lake Campground will be open this year. I am the new owner and I have NO! plans on re-opening the campground. The toilets have been removed and there is no boat access. There is still walk-in access from the MaCarthy road but no camping. You have to park on the MaCarthy road. There is no vehicle access to the lake. Sorry I know that this has been a favorate spot for many years, but that has come to an end.

Paul Boos
    Last edited by pboos; 05-14-2008 at 17:20. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by pboos View Post
    I read with great interest in the forum IN the Sticks, that Silver Lake Campground will be open this year. I am the new owner and I have NO! plans on re-opening the campground. The toilets have been removed and there is no boat access. There is still walk-in access from the MaCarthy road but no camping. You have to park on the MaCarthy road. There is no vehicle access to the lake. Sorry I know that this has been a favorate spot for many years, but that has come to an end.

Paul Boos
    Did something happen for the closure? Vandals???
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Default Silver Lake

Nope, no vandals. Gene & Edith, the old owners, sold out & moved south due to advancing age and declining health.