Thread: Klutina Lake Road?

Default Klutina Lake Road?

Anyone know if the Klutina Lake Road is open? I read an old post from 2006 that the road was impassable.

Depends on the time of year and what you are riding. I havent been down there in years but we were always able to ride ATV's the entire way back to the lake. Most of the road is very easy to travel over. Heck, my buddy once pulled a 15 foot trailer to mile 16 where we camped for a week.
    Tennessee

I have heard that a section washed away the year before last and the local Native Corp was not granting BLM a new right of way.
    Just what I have heard.

Default klutina lake road

I was up there last fall the road was open all the way to the lake. Hillbilly

Default Klutina Lake

You must be Goat hunting? I drew that tag last year...two ways to get in there, have someone run you up there in a jet boat via the river, or go down to Ahtna and get a permit. I drove up in that road last year to scope it out. but I ended up going to Tonsina Area instead.

Default Sheep hunting

Me and a buddy were planning on going in past the lake to do some sheep hunting up along the Hallet

Lots of bears there in the fall too as the lake gets the salmon. Have heard of quite a few sheep hunters going in there but not bringing anything out.

Oh and keep a watchfull eye on your stuff cuz the natives dont like the fact that the road to the lake is an easement. I had a uncomfortable confrontation with some native loggers in there a couple falls ago and I ended up leaving for fear of leaving my truck and trailer along the road.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post

Oh and keep a watchfull eye on your stuff cuz the natives dont like the fact that the road to the lake is an easement. I had a uncomfortable confrontation with some native loggers in there a couple falls ago and I ended up leaving for fear of leaving my truck and trailer along the road.
    You got that right. You're truck would be safer if you parked it in Jim Creek for a week.

Default atv or truck

for you guys that were up there fall 2007 could you drive a truck in or were you on atvs thanks for the info

Drove my truck hauling a boat in to the old boys camp by the mouth of the lake in mid Oct. Other then ice over snow covered mud holes and such I had no real problems.

Default Klutina Lake Road

Yup, heard a lot of ugly stories about confrontations ON THE RIGHT OF WAY ROAD, as well as threats of bodily harm from gun carrying local natives toward non-native hunters. When reported to the local law I have heard stories of weak smiles and a shoulder shrug. I have wanted to hunt this area but never have to date because of the above reputation and the fact that I don't take "no" well when I am in the right...better just not to go.

Default Been back there...

many times, and haven't had a problem. Then again, being good friends with the Ahtna president probably doesn't hurt things. Really, I haven't had a problem being back there, but have heard of problems. Pulled my sport jon to 21 mile 2 summers ago. Pretty rough on the trailer as some of the corners are a little tight for that, but there are others pulling camping trailers back. Just hope it doesn't rain much if you stay back there as that road can be a mess, especially if pulling something! Didn't all of that area turn into drawing permit areas?

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Unless there is some little pocket still open, the entire area is now a draw. DS 160/260 and DS 165/265- the area includes the halet river...looks like there won't be quite as many people in there chasing mr. ram.

Default thanks

Sockeye, that is what I thought.

Default That is 13D right?

F&G's regs on the website have it as Harvest. I looked through the EO's and did not see anything listed that said this was a draw.

Default A little more digging

and rereading I see where the draw is new and took effect Fall '08. Thanks for mentioning that, much better to look and reread now than to explain to the judge I can't be bothered to read what's new in the Big Game Regs.

The new regs are not out yet....be patient, it'll be there.

Son and I just spent the weekend running ATV'S up and down the road the entire way back to the lake. We had a blast and burnt up a couple of bricks of .22's in the process.
    We seen one other person on the road during the 2 days we were there. No one gave us a hard time, no one told us to get off the road, no one hassled us or messed with our RV while we were gone the entire day.
    First 8 or 9 miles of the road can be driven in a 2 wheel drive car after that it can be hairy as there are still ice berms going across the road in places and once you reach where the road runs along the river it is muddy and no place for any 2 wheel drive vehicle.
    Unfortunately this was also the first trip we made to the area where we did not see black bear or grizzlies. Area must be getting a good deal of hunting pressure from someone as we seen several bear baiting areas as well.
    Both sides of the road are posted with no tresspassing signs.
    Tennessee

Default Klutina Lake Rd

I believe that area is very popular for spring bear hunting with the Athna natives, as much of their land is in the surrounding area.