Thread: RCBS hand priming tool!!!!

Default RCBS hand priming tool!!!!

RCBS hand priming tool is driving me nuts.

I bought it because my lee hand primer will not prime my 500 S&W cases.

I thought the RCBS would be nice because it uses regular shell holders.

So far out of 22 cases I have put one primer upside down and three in sideways. I am now taking a break trying to get third sideways one out.

I got it out with a pocket knife and primed 50 cases being careful and watching for sideways primers. Saw two more flip over. The barrier bar flips them.

I thought I was going to retire my Lee hand primer but I can see it will still get most of the action as I will only pull out the RCBS when I absolutely have to.

Rant over, back to reloading.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Give RCBS a call 1-800-533-5000
    Mon thru Thur 9 am to 3 pm PST
    They will probably put Charlie on the line, he is good at answering problems. If it seems to be product problem they will probably have a new one in the mail next day FREE of charge. I have delt with them several times on the phone, and in person (there 54 miles from me). Had a old RCBS lubber/sizer that was given to me and it needed a handle. They said one would be in the mail next day FREE of charge. Explained it was used and given to me. Dint matter there would be a handle in the mail next day FREE of charge because it was under warrenty. Kind of hard to beat service like that.

Gun Runner

Default RCBS priming problems

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post

I thought the RCBS would be nice because it uses regular shell holders.

So far out of 22 cases I have put one primer upside down and three in sideways. I am now taking a break trying to get third sideways one out.

I got it out with a pocket knife and primed 50 cases being careful and watching for sideways primers. Saw two more flip over. The barrier bar flips them.

I thought I was going to retire my Lee hand primer but I can see it will still get most of the action as I will only pull out the RCBS when I absolutely have to.

Rant over, back to reloading.
    RMiller

I have a friend (who just started reloading this month for his 500 Smith) using an RCBS hand priming tool. He has reported no problems, so I suspect it is a curable problem that (as the second poster, Gun Runner, testified) RCBS will make good.

I congratulate you on your powers of observation to notice the primer flipping problem. A valuable piece of information for RCBS to know.

I suspect that, since the 500's Rifle Primers are taller than Pistol Primers, perhaps there is insufficient height for the Rifle primers to make it past the bar. Do you think that might be possible?

I have not been able to examine my friend's RCBS Hand Primer to see if positioning of the bar might be variable, so if you look at yours, you might be able to see a clearance problem?

Good Luck

Lost Sheep (Larry)
    Last edited by Lost Sheep; 03-30-2008 at 23:00. Reason: to name the second poster (politeness)

I've had no problems with the RCBS hand primer. My guess would be that the tray wasn't loading the primers properly. I use the RCBS hand primer in place of the Lee Loadmaster priming stage with no problems. It's an interesting issue to say the least. I hope you get it worked out.

The primers it was flipping are the small pistol primers I was loading for my 25-20.

The RCBS tool just has a lot more quirks to it.

My lee primer I pressed the bar with my thumb. Which would do three things. It would allow gravity to feed the primers, shell plate opening would face me for easy loading of cases and the casemouth would be facing away from me.

It is a blow and go operation. It can prime as fast as I can move the brass.

--

The RCBS tool seems perfectly built for a left hander. In my right hand I have to flick the tool to get a primer to get passed the barrier bar then I have to sqeeze the handle some to make sure an upright primer will be seated then I have to place a case and point the casemouth away from me best I can and set the primer.

Is is not blow and go. It is just slowed a bit by a couple extra steps. It helps to be able to position the shell holder in any position.

Default Flipped primers

I too have experienced flipped primers in my RCBS tool, 6 flipped per 50 cases took a while to figure out.. I was priming 22 hornet cases (Small Rifle primers). It turns out I was not releasing the lever all the way to its relaxed position and the next primer in line would contact the barrier bar when starting up on its way to the primer pocket and get flipped sideways or turned over. I found if I completly released the lever, the barrier bar would relax and be out of the way for the next primer... It worked for me-- have not had anymore trouble with small rifle primers.
    Seemed to be of no issue with Large rifle primers.

the only other trouble I've had, is with some 30 year old shell holders that have a shorter beveled edge on thier bottom side and wouldnt fit the plastic guides for the priming tool. took a De-burring bit of same angle and cut the bevel deeper in the older shel holders and now they work fine.

Hope this helps

Thanks.

I have had no problems with the large rifle primers. I have been more careful with the small primers and found that I had not had the priming tray all the way in which is what left to much room allowing the primers to flip.

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post

Why?

Lee lists their #16 shellholder for .500 S&W. Is there some other issue with the Lee primer tool?

I've been thinking of doing the same thing you are with the .500S&W Handi rifle and I have mostly Lee equipment.

Get a #16 shellholder and it may work. I never could find one. I know I had to open up the Lee priming tool a little with a dremel tool to get ultramag cases to fit.

The 500S&W is .530 at the base while the ultramag is .545 so the smith case may fit fine.

I love my RCBS tool, nev er had a probnlem with it...its been used so much my fingers have worn deeper grooves in it

Man is this thing with the server driving me nuts, with the error messages.

I use the Sinclair tool and smile every time I set down with it.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I almost sent this thing to E-bay today. I got a primer stuck in it because for the umteenth time I forgot to put the primer seater in after loading the tray with primers. I turned thr tool upside down to shake the primer out and the lid came off the tray and I dumped all the primers on the ground. I got scolded for saying mother ****er after.

Big Stick

I love the RCBS hand primer. Preferred the 1st gen,but have several of the recent ones and they are flawless,while allowing a deft touch......................