Thread: Opinions on 20' bayliner

Default Opinions on 20' bayliner

So, my wife and I recently added a smaller version of us to the family. It may be time give up the zodiac and get something more family friendly. Any thoughts on a 20' Bayliner cuddy for a PWS, Seward, Homer boat?

I'm not really sold on a small cuddy, but the misses is leveraging in on this purchase.

Thanks for any input.

I think that if I were going to buy a Bayliner boat, I would look a little bigger, say the 2452. But, there is no way I would trade my c-dory 22 for one. Not that bayliner is a bad boat, it is not. They are everywhere and I have one for the lake. It has been an excellent boat.

Default Are you fishing or cruising?

It depends a lot on whether you are fishing or cruising. I have a 22' cuddy, an old Crestliner, and especially with the mercruiser, fishing space is tight. But, I go all over PWS with a boat that size...always watching the weather, I don't go with 6 footers or more.

My friend has a 22 or 23 foot Bayliner Trophy, it has a small cuddy cabin and a walk around, he has twin 115's on it, it's wider than a lot of boats that size, I really like that boat, good fishing space and nice little cabin. If you fish silvers, a walkaround really helps when they race around the boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    It depends a lot on whether you are fishing or cruising. I have a 22' cuddy, an old Crestliner, and especially with the mercruiser, fishing space is tight. But, I go all over PWS with a boat that size...always watching the weather, I don't go with 6 footers or more.

My friend has a 22 or 23 foot Bayliner Trophy, it has a small cuddy cabin and a walk around, he has twin 115's on it, it's wider than a lot of boats that size, I really like that boat, good fishing space and nice little cabin. If you fish silvers, a walkaround really helps when they race around the boat!
    Real 6 footers are huge. I hate them - especially if they are steep with a white cap on top. YUCK! But, the good news is you get to spend a lot of time on the water And in PWS, where anything can blow up in a short amount of time, this is one more reason not buy a a 20 foot Cuddy as you will be on crammed in there like sardines.

Thumbs up Berths are nice.

Phish Finder

I went through exactly what you are going through now. I went out in PWS for 5 years in a 16' zodiac with my buddies. My wife never once went out in it. I would have to say, if your wife goes out in a zodiac and doesnt complain, you can do no wrong with upgrading. I originally thought I would end up with a 22-24 foot bayliner trophy. It had what I was looking for. I did also look at bayrunners, alumawelds, and kalamaths but my wife decided to get one with a cuddy. I will say, it is VERY handy to have a berth. I think you will be happy with a bayliner. Last word of advice is that a zodiac and a bayliner will have very different fuel consumption so make sure whatever you buy, you can afford to take out. I know a couple of people who bought nice boats and couldnt afford maintenance and upkeep. Takes up a ton of time too. Good luck.
    Kammer
    22' Seasport

Thanks for the replies. Kammer, I appreciate your experience as it directly relates to my situation.

This boat is all about family. I want to catch plenty of fish, but it's most important for me to have my family on the water. Upkeep and fueling shouldn't be too bad in a boat this size. I like the klamath's also for the price I can spend now. Wife wants a cuddy. It would give the little one a place to sleep and I might end up down there if the weather blows in and we have to hunker down.

Thanks again.

Default Bayliner 2070 explorer

I had a 20 foot Bayliner 2070 explorer I /O 4 cylinder volvo penta with a 270 outdrive very good fuel burn nice little cabin cruzer. Like anything just watch the weather. I sold it and now have a Seasport nice boat but fuel burn is not going to be fun this summer.

Default Bayliner

I had a 21ft Bayliner that I ran for years in PWS with out any problems. It was a 21 ft Trophy with cuddy and came with a 125 Force engine. The Force engine was to small and I up graded to a 200Hp Suzuki. It was like night and day. With the 125 Force my cruise was 15 mph the Suzuki had a top speed of 45 mph. My two kids where small so the boat worked out Ok but if I had to due it again I would have purchased the 28ft Bayliner that would have given me the room for all my junk.

my buddy has a 21 ft. with yamaha 200 on it, it handles real good been through some 6ft. seas in it but will pound the crap out of the kidneys if you go to fast. it sleeps 2 adults and 1 child perfectly in the nose but to close for comfort with 3 guys (never tried it and never will) the only set back is when it's raining and you are running somewhere only room for 3 people in the cuddy but can cram 4 if the other 2 people stand behind the seats. We have had 5 people on the boat before but it was sunny and 3 of us were sitting on chairs on the way out. Most of the time when we run out we put the 10' dingey on the back of the boat and haul ***** in stead of towing it and have been al the way out to east side of knight island here is a pic of the boat

I had a 21' very similar to the Anger Management boat shown in the previous post. I had an extended canvaas top that reached behind the two additional seeats I had installed, so theoretically you could run four people in the boat. However, you could not fish four people - just not enough deck space. It was ideal for no more than three people, and two was perfect - but I also never overnighted on the boat - it wasn't quite big enough. You might want to step right up and buy the 24' hardtop now- you'll end up buying one in two years anyway . . .

SH

I appreciate the comments. Please keep them coming. The primary reason I wanted to go with the 20' Bayliner was there was a used one that fell well within the budget and left plenty over for repairs and operating costs. I don't want to end up with a boat that I can't afford upkeep and running it 2-3 days per week for the summer.

Girdwood isn't a cheap town and, while I love my work and look forward to each day of work, it doesn't pay much.

Any other suggestions for an affordable family boat that is reasonable to maintain and operate would be greatly appreciated.

I'm trying to get into a family boat for <$8000. Hopefully, the coming couple of years will bring more disposable income for boating. I'm just working with what I've got right now.

Thanks again and please keep the suggestions coming.

Default What model bayliner phish finder?

I am curious as to the model that you are looking at. We have the 2070 explorer just as Seawolf had. I take it Montague on a regular basis and have been all over the Sound. Sure it's a little cramped at times, but it does well on fuel and it's a hard cabin. This makes all the difference in the world when the rain and wind picks up. Previously we were running a ragtop jetboat and it worked too, but the heated hard top cabin is the cats meow. We often stay out there for 5-7 days at a time. Just pick your weather and be careful.
    Let's see some pics when you get her!
    BK

However, you could not fish four people - just not enough deck space. It was ideal for no more than three people, and two was perfect - but I also never overnighted on the boat - it wasn't quite big enough.

SH[/quote]

Agreed on 3 people fishin but the sleeping room i do not agree on, I'm 6'2'' and 210lbs and buddy is 5'11" and 170lbs. and we still have enough room for a 10yr. old kid and still have comfort

Well, I'm back in the market. After discussing what I wanted to do with the boat owner, he decided not to sell the boat. I guess I'm back in the market.

Man, it sucks when being nice and talking to folks backfires. Oh well, hopefully he'll get some use out of the boat he didn't want yesterday.

If anyone hears of a reasonable cruiser with a cuddy, please post here. I'm gonna keep looking for the same style boat.

Default God i hate people when they do that

hang in there phish you will find one it's still early and don't that just strike your nerve when people tell ya they want to sell and then tell you naw sorry decided to keep it. Hang in there also check seattle or portland u might find something you like

Talking boats

phish phinder, look at bayliner saratogas, they're very stable and wide, or try seaswirls or bayliner classics, like the 28, they have alot of room. in washington, there are no 6 foot swells, but 2 footers are common. also, try craigslist or iboats. Hope this helped.

Find Add here: http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=10763

If this boat's in good shape you won't find much better for the price, and nice set of electronics. 100 hrs on the main that nothing, a new 22ft c-dory outfitted like this goes for close to 60k.
    This is a screaming deal; boat should book for well over 40k.

2005 22' Cruiser, $35,000 Located in Ketchikan, Alaska

Main Engine: 2004 Yamaha 90-hp four-stroke. Less than 100 hours (bought new in 2005 - extended service warranty expires 4/21/2010)

Auxiliary Engine: 2006 Yamaha 8-hp four-stroke, electric start, power trim/tilt, charging. Maybe 1 hour of use.

Electrical: 110-volt shore power and panel, 12-volt ship power and panel.

Electronics: Raymarine C80 Sea Talk system - combination Radar, GPS, Chart-Plotter, and Sounder with Navionics cartography. Ramarine Smart Pilot (autopilot). Ramarine model Ray 54 VHF

Deck Hardware: Danforth anchor w/chain, rope, bow roller and Lewmar 12-volt windass.

Misc: Dinette, sink, and Wallas two-burner stove top and cabin heater combo. Stainless radar arch and bow rails. Trim tabs.

Trailer: 2005 EZ Loader, tandem axle w/ brakes.

Boat has seen very little use!!

2007 Marine survey with pictures available on request.

Contact Steve at: (907) 617-4565, saxelson@kpunet.net or reply here at this sight.

THANKS!
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.