Thread: Matching the Cartridge to the Game

Default Matching the Cartridge to the Game

Since there have been so many opinions voiced this past week regarding minimum calibers for Alaskan Game animals, decided to add in an article I found written by Chuck Hawks. Feel free to add in your personal recommendations for suitable appropriate calibers for game animals in your respective areas.
    Maybe this type of information can help to educate new and/or younger hunters that are still trying to figure out what cartridges work best for the game animals here in our state, may even help to improve their chances of a successful harvest too. Thanks

Matching the Gun to the Game by Chuck Hawk

http://www.chuckhawks.com/gun_game.htm

Default Thanks

This helped comfirm my questions on Brown Bear Caliber Thread i Posted.

Default Appropriate calibers

Interesting reading. Thanks, Nukalpiaq.
    Mr. Hawks does well at explaining the reasons for his conclusions. Very educational piece for especially the less experienced.
    Thanks again.

I agree, it was a good article. Chuck Hawks has lots of good info.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I only have one center fire rifle that is unsuitable for all big game in the Greatland. That's a 222 Remington, and I'm gonna get rid of it, jist as soon as I get done tinkering with it. I submit, that it's much more important to “match” the bullet.

I can do that with my
    30-30,
    or 7x57,
    or 280,
    or 7mm Mag,
    or 338

Such seemingly clever verbiage, like "Matching the cartridge to the game" is nothing more than a plot, a marketing ploy, if you will, to inspire interest, in guns and to market more of them. It needs to be recognized as such before some people end up with Rooms filled with rifles, failing to recognize that there is a comparative shortage of huntable game types to “match”. (There does seem to be an abundance of cartridges available, and more each hour.)

It's more practical and prudent to own only ONE rifle. I wouldn't object to having another for back-up, and another for the Wife, and one for each child, and to stock up for the grandchildren, including past, present, and future. Etc. etc.

I can also approve the acquisition of certain “Tactical” rifle/weapons in case of War, or other possible violent disasters, that cannot be well served by your hunting rifles, shotguns, and handguns, and of course, muzzle loaders which every Patriotic American should own. Perhaps, one for each historical period, if one so desires.

Surely, there are enough reasons to buy more guns without promoting the idea that we need a different one for each game animal that exists on the face of the earth. That idea is just ludicrous.

As for Mr. Hawks, he is simply acting in accordance with his name. He is effectively, “hawking” rifle ownership, by exploiting our selfish desires to own more hunting rifles. Think of what this can lead to. More Rifle Scopes, more Gun Safes, more other shooting products, causing a drain on our National Resources in a time of war. Already, there seems to be a shortage in the supply of handloading components. Enough Already.

Probably, the most reprehensible effect is more shooting, and the resulting Spread of more Lead, throughout our fragile environment. The negative results are endless. I’m sure you get the idea, so I’ll stop here.

Smitty of the North

I’m Not, Crackin Up, Crackin Up, Crackin Up, Crackin Up, Crackin Up, Crackin Up, Crackin Up, Crackin Up, Crackin Up, Crackin Up,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I agree with Smitty! But I will add that you should all be ashamed of your excessive carbon use and CO2 emissions generated in your hedonistic quest for more fire arms, all in the name of matching cartridges to game………….Pleeeeeease. It’s bad enough that you cruel hunters target those furry, innocent and sweet creatures just because you think they taste good, or would look cool on your wall! Instead of wasting all your money on those guns you could be saving up for a beautiful Andy Warhol painting to hang on your wall. Think of the enjoyment you would get looking at that painting while you eat your tofu and salad for dinner.

Bwwaa-ha-ha…………. Tofu! I actually managed to use the word “tofu” in a sentence!

Whatever deep end Smitty went off of, I am right behind him!

375H&H……….. I consider it quite well matched for any critter I have ever laid eyes upon!

Happy shootin!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

"I only have one center fire rifle that is unsuitable for all big game in the Greatland. That's a 222 Remington, and I'm gonna get rid of it, jist as soon as I get done tinkering with it. I submit, that it's much more important to “match” the bullet."

That was my late Father-In-Law's favorite cartridge. Used it to feed his family for many, many years. After that he bought an old .30-.30 made in the early '50's from Turpin Gun & ammo with which he pooped a moose with. One shot, brained it from roughly 70-yards from a moving 16-foot Lund, him standing, off-hand. With the old buckhorn sights.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    "I only have one center fire rifle that is unsuitable for all big game in the Greatland. That's a 222 Remington, and I'm gonna get rid of it, jist as soon as I get done tinkering with it. I submit, that it's much more important to “match” the bullet."

That was my late Father-In-Law's favorite cartridge. Used it to feed his family for many, many years. After that he bought an old .30-.30 made in the early '50's from Turpin Gun & ammo with which he pooped a moose with. One shot, brained it from roughly 70-yards from a moving 16-foot Lund, him standing, off-hand. With the old buckhorn sights.
    To put it in simple terms "HE WAS A GOOD SHOT"!!!!
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

[quote=Smitty of the North;242691]...I submit, that it's much more important to “match” the bullet.

I can do that with my
    30-30,
    or 7x57,
    or 280,
    or 7mm Mag,
    or 338

Hmmm... I wonder if this could be a poster ad for Chuck? I have several rifles but only one over the years I took hunting. 7mm Rem Mag. Worked up loades for three different bullets. I hear ya Smitty

I have several rifles in various calibers however, if I didn't have the resources to buy them it would be ez to get along with just one and that would be the OLE MIGHTY 30-06 I don't think it can be beat for versatility in Alaska.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post

Bwwaa-ha-ha…………. Tofu! I actually managed to use the word “tofu” in a sentence!

Happy shootin!
    An yew spelt it rite, an everthang too.

It's probably the first time that word was used on this forum. It makes me feel kinda intellectual, like.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Smitty

Cheer up the sun will shine again( the snow will melt) and the salmon are headed back, JUST HOLD ON MAN !!!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !