Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sportsmans Show 2008 Official Thread

Default Sportsmans Show 2008 Official Thread

I know it's still 4 days away but wanted to go head and get the discussions going early for the years biggest outdoorsman event

This thread will be dedicated to providing information on all of your purchases, information you learned, favorite booths and or activites of the show, and things you saw that looked like really good bargins!

Since none of that has happened yet, what purchases are you intrested in, what is your budget, and what day(s) are you going to be there?

Have fun everybody and lets keep this thread active!

-Nick
    Last edited by Fishwhacker; 03-30-2008 at 15:38. Reason: spelling error

Exclamation Show Info

I guess I'm one of those sick people that actually make a spreadsheet with all the shows and plot out my four days of attending the show. I'm looking for an inflatable (zodiac type 12 foot boat) and a 9-10hp 4 stroke to use with it, sold a 10 footer last year and looking for something to take on a Spring Bear Hunt. I've already scoped out the boat deals and missed probably the best at the boat show (arriving on day two instead of the opening day).

I usually don't buy much although one can always use another set of waders and boots from Freds and they normally have a deal on another reel and or rod that I seem to buy and not use (add to the pile). There are a few new shows which will be nice to see and plenty of the usual stuff which I always like hearing again.

Bummer. I don't really care much for the show, but I was going to go in order to take one last look at the Alpacka Rafts and to work out a deal for a group buy (detailed in the General Discussion Forum). Reading through the insert in today's ADN, though, it doesn't look like Alpacka is going to have a booth this year. If I'm wrong, I'd sure appreciate it if someone who goes on Thursday or Friday could let me know. Otherwise, I doubt I'll bother to go to the show.

Default AOD Seminar ?

Hey Brian, Is there going to be another meet and great and forum walk through like last year?

I might go to see what deal boondocks will have on guns, specifically the ruger .375. Oh yeah some boots, either muck or something similar or just hunting boots. Who knows what else. Just all depends on the weather, the salt is calling my name.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Hey Brian, Is there going to be another meet and great and forum walk through like last year?
    Nope, not this year.

Default Alpacka Alternative

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Bummer. I don't really care much for the show, but I was going to go in order to take one last look at the Alpacka Rafts and to work out a deal for a group buy (detailed in the General Discussion Forum). Reading through the insert in today's ADN, though, it doesn't look like Alpacka is going to have a booth this year. If I'm wrong, I'd sure appreciate it if someone who goes on Thursday or Friday could let me know. Otherwise, I doubt I'll bother to go to the show.
    Brian,

I don't know if Sheri will be there or not, but you really have to take a look at the ultralight boat NRS put out this year. It is similar to an Alpacka, but different enough to be worth a look. I don't know if they have a name for it yet, but it has some awesome features; it is a non-bailer, but it has an inflatable floor that wedges in there, giving it tons of rigidity. It also has a pad you sit on, and D-rings for tiedown points. The deflation valves are smaller than the Alpacka valves, but this boat is not designed for rapid deflation, like the ones they need for the Alaska Wilderness Classic races. I don't have the specs on the boat yet (it just came out), but I am told that it is slightly heavier than the Alpacka. The material, like the Alpacka, is urethane coated nylon, but the NRS material is slightly thicker. Should make an excellent "get across the lake" boat, or a floater for sheep meat and such. Very cool, and worth seeing at the show.

You can find it at Alaska Raft and Kayak.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks for the tip, Mike. I'll certainly take a look at it. Since I'm looking primarily for a packraft, weight is of utmost importance. If it's only a pound or two heavier, though, and packs into an equally small space, I'd certainly consider it.

I've been to the sportsman's show three times now. It is the same thing every year. And I mean IDENTICAL!!! I have booked a halibut charter in the same booth, from the same folks, each year. I sample the jerky from the same booth, check out Barney's stuff at the exact same location, talk to the same guides who are sitting in their same spots. From the threads above it looks like some minor things may change year to year, but really, it is pretty much the same.

With that said, I'll definitely be there. I love the show. Yes, it's the same, but it kind of really gets spring kicked off for me - even if only in my mind. This year I'm going to take along my 3 year old daughter who is probably one of the biggest Sportsman Wharehouse nuts I've ever know. We'll hit the fish pond and the jerky stations about 12 times throughout the day just to keep it interesting.

Oh, and a purchase of Strahan's new book will be a new booth to stop at.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    ..............Oh, and a purchase of Strahan's new book will be a new booth to stop at.

Post a report on that read, JMG.

Frank

Talking The Show

Looking to buy a SAT phone, and possibly reserve some dates for halibut fishing & the such. I love going each year, and I usually end up buying something I didn't think I needed.

Cannery Creek Hatchery, Prince William Sound

I'm gonna try to make it in from out here in the PWS for the the show. Hopefuly the weather will cooperate and we can boat in. I want to pick up some more shrimp pots and some tony davis halibut lures, Also need to get a copy of Mikes book and check out his seminars. I'm sure I'll spend way to much money, but I haven't been out of the bush for 7 months so I plan on living it up. I'll also be at the bear baiting clinic at rabbit creek on the 3rd.

Default Weekend Pass

When are they going to make a deal for a weekend pass??? I don't really like going for 8 hours at a time and would much rather go a few hours each day... But won't pay the door price more than once....

Why not a 20 or 25 dollar, all weekend pass... I'd buy.. anyone else?

Just trying to shake things up a bit...

Default New Stuff

Someone made the point that it seems like the same stuff over and over every year. I see that to some degree, but there are lots of new things coming out too, and many of them will be at the show. Also, don't forget that Alaska has a very high residency turnover rate, so many folks who come are coming for the very first time. It is ALL new to them!

Here are a couple of new items that will be there, and worth a look for some of us:

1. NRS Pack Raft. I mentioned this earlier in the thread. Some folks will be interested in it.

2. AIRE Cougar cataraft. The Cougar is back! It's a double-tube cat (twin tubes on each side), in a 17' length (a foot shorter than the Leopard I currently use). The Cougar is easily the biggest load hauler among regular production run catarafts, and it has been re-engineered with the gradual diminished tubes at both ends. This makes it a much better performer with an outboard. AIRE makes them available only in lots of three, pretty much limiting sales to dealers. It is not in their new catalog, by the way, so the only way to see it is to go to the show, or wait until Alaska Raft and Kayak has one on the showroom floor after the show. I will try to take pics and post them here.

Anyone know of anything else that is new and should be listed here?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Someone made the point that it seems like the same stuff over and over every year. I see that to some degree, but there are lots of new things coming out too, and many of them will be at the show. Also, don't forget that Alaska has a very high residency turnover rate, so many folks who come are coming for the very first time. It is ALL new to them!

Here are a couple of new items that will be there, and worth a look for some of us:

1. NRS Pack Raft. I mentioned this earlier in the thread. Some folks will be interested in it.

2. AIRE Cougar cataraft. The Cougar is back! It's a double-tube cat (twin tubes on each side), in a 17' length (a foot shorter than the Leopard I currently use). The Cougar is easily the biggest load hauler among regular production run catarafts, and it has been re-engineered with the gradual diminished tubes at both ends. This makes it a much better performer with an outboard. AIRE makes them available only in lots of three, pretty much limiting sales to dealers. It is not in their new catalog, by the way, so the only way to see it is to go to the show, or wait until Alaska Raft and Kayak has one on the showroom floor after the show. I will try to take pics and post them here.

-Mike
    Thanks Mike. No doubt there are a couple of items new each year. But as I said above, I've booked halibut trips from the same company sitting in the same booth for three years now. It is as if they never moved for a whole year. I had not thought of the high turnover up here though. There are usually tons of military folks at the show, I imagine many for the first time. All in all it is a great show to enjoy, and even though I saw an item the last three years and didn't have much interest in it, no doubt I'll buy it this year.

As mentioned earlier, a weekend pass would be great. I hate that they put a 2 or 3 part seminar over the course of 2 or 3 days.

I haven't been to the show in Anchorage yet, but I went for years to the Fairbanks show when I lived there and went to the show in Wasilla last weekend. What has really started annoying me is all of the booths that don't have anything to do with the show, such as banks, political groups, campaigning polticians, car salesmen, jewelery sales, etc.

I would just prefer to see sporting goods at the outdoors show, home stuff at the home show, and so forth.

I really like the idea of a pass for the entire show.

Well, I'm looking forward to my first Anchorage show....see you all there.

Default Something New . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Someone made the point that it seems like the same stuff over and over every year. I see that to some degree, but there are lots of new things coming out too, and many of them will be at the show. . . . . .

-Mike
    Hi Mike -- Newbie here...

There is a new TV series titled: *“Alaska Outdoors Television” entering
    production this summer for local FOX 4 distribution and national cable
    distribution. The pilot received positive testing from both active outdoor
    adventure consumers and distribution networks competing for play rights.

I understand the pilot episode will premiere @ the Great Alaska Sportsman’s Show
    in the West Marine booth should you make it to the show.

Check it out. . . give them feedback!
    Wish I could go . . let me know, too!
    (Tell them 'a Doc' sent ya!) - LOL!

*Fee-free info; no affiliation
    Doc

Show starts tomorow=) looking forward to another great year hopefully, gonna do some tailgating with my step dad and his friends - if anyones goin on sat leme know =)

= Ill be in the market for some cool field gadgets, a possible halibut charter, and will be looking at deals on 30.06's if available

oh and ill be eating 5 pounds of free jerky

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    Show starts tomorow=) looking forward to another great year hopefully............
    oh and ill be eating 5 pounds of free jerky
    Beef Jerky = Fishwhacker Bait?

All in Fun!
    Doc

haha yeah you found one of my weaknesses

On that note did anyone check out the show today?

Anyone plan on attending the bear hunting seminar?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast