Thread: Self Guided Salmon Fishing

Default Self Guided Salmon Fishing

My wife and I are wanting to do a self guided salmon fishing trip with some off shore fishing thrown in.What would be the best place?The best time?What about cabin rentals?Could we find this withen driving distance of Ketchikan etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt Alaska View Post
    My wife and I are wanting to do a self guided salmon fishing trip with some off shore fishing thrown in.What would be the best place?The best time?What about cabin rentals?Could we find this withen driving distance of Ketchikan etc.
    They have a road that goes far enough away that it would actually be longer than a 5 minute drive?

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt Alaska View Post
    Try http://www.recreation.gov/ for cabin rentals. There's also some good information on getting to each cabin - note that they don't give freeway exits in most of the descriptions! ;-)

Salmon fishing with some off shore fishing thrown in? I'm not too sure what that might entail... As I rarely river fish, I would say that ALL of our salmon fishing is "off shore"... albeit in semi-protected waters of the "Inside Passage." If you want true "off shore" fishing, try Sitka, Port Alexander, Elfin Cove/Pelican, Yakutat, etc...

Check the regs at http://adfg.state.ak.us too... there's a few pages on special regs and restrictions along the road systems of certain areas. As for cabins within "driving distance" of any given community... umm... sure, if you're driving a boat or a plane!

Hope some of my sarcasm helps... even just a little! ;-)
    -Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

you can rent skiffs at cloverpass north of ketchikan.
    as far as a cabin rental and off shore fishing, the forest service cabins are remote and your on your own pretty much. In not sure I understand your question and what you are lookin for. there is a rental in coffman cove on prince of whales that has skiffs its a small community and there is lots of opportunity for ocean and river fishing. its a three hours on the ferry and then a two or three hour drive from hollis.or you can go to Craig about an hour drive from Hollis you can rent a skiff or a 24 ft power boat and stay in a motel.or hire a guide. the best time to come up would be July or august.