Thread: Egg loop knot - What size hooks

Default Egg loop knot - What size hooks

Hi guys,

This might be useful for other rookies planning on bank fishing like me. Im going to be fishing for all 5 types of salmon from June until august, mostly from the bank. Now I've been reading up on how to do the 'kenai flip', how to get my lures to the right depth, how not to piss off a local when combat fishing and also how to tie up - egg loop knots.

I wanted to pre-tie several of these knots onto hooks because, knowing myself, I will probably lose a lot of tackle while Im learning...probably the whole trip.

I found out how to tie the knot here: http://www.fintalk.com/fishing-knots/fish-egg-loop.html

I just wanted to know what size hook I should use for Kings? Silvers?

And, on that knot, can I as well include some sort of yarn, or fly for color?

Thanks a million.

Thumbs up Try the Snell

For my clients I tie a Snell knot on a 6/0 hook. What you do is tie the knot down towards the bend in the hook, this allows you to push line through the eye towards the knot creating a loop. Once you have opened the loop you place the eggs in the loop then pull the line tight trapping the eggs inside the loop.

I know this sounds confusing maybe I will attach a picture of what it looks like.

Default Snell Knot Picture

Here's a picture of what it looks like. Do yourself a favor and go out and buy one of those little tools (http://www.yagersflies.com/tiefknottyer.html) that helps tie the knot.....you will be glad you did.
    Attached Images Attached Images

for silvers I use a 3/0 hook with or with a corkie.

For Kings I use #4 spin-n-glow double 3/0 hooks or single 4/0 hook.
    #2 or #0 Spin-n-glow double 3/0 or 4/0 , or single 5/0

Once you get used to tying the egg loop it is incredibly easy.

I dont like to keep too many pretied as they just get tangled.

I just tied a double hook rig with .025" mono and two 3/0 hooks in 46 seconds. so I tie them as I need them.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

You really need to determine the size of the river, fish, and conditions. For drift fishing a small coastal river with small corkies & spin glows I will use a size 1/0 - 2/0 hook which provides a nice stealthy natural drift. For bobber fishing I increase the size of the hook to a 3/0. For Kings I use 20 -25lb mono or flouro leaders depending of the visibility. Silvers I use 12 - 15 mono leaders. Increase the size of your drift bobers and hook size for larger rivers. Flippin for reds on the lower Kenai I pre tie 3-4ft leaders using 20 test, and a 2/0 hook with a piece of red or chartruese yarn.
    Last edited by Steelieguy; 03-30-2008 at 13:50. Reason: spelling

Definatly agree with steelies saying. The size of the rig is going to determine the size of your hook.

I've egglooped and snelled on hooks to a size 12 and as high as 10/0's for halibut. Yes you add yarn to them. If you're corkie fishing without yarn or really anything else non bait or non yarn there is no need to hassle egglooping hooks.

Also realize some rivers have hook restrictions so take this into consideration.

Another tip for pre rigged leaders is get some Pipe insulation foam, I prefer the thick stuff.

Cut into pieces oh 12-18"es or so, something that will fit in a small rubber maid or fishing tote. Now with a steak knife, cut slits 1/4" or so deep, just enough to wrap your leaders in and keep them from over running eachother. Go ahead and mass tie, then mass wrap, much faster then tying, then wrapping then tying then wrapping.

This works very well for production purposes, as much so as it does for just plain FUN trips. Keeps things organized and seperated even if you have different hook and or line sizes in one tote they are all seperated onto foam rolls.

If you need a pic of what I'm talking about let me know, I have a bunch of pre tied rigs stashed for the summer.

Shawn's egg loop looks good. I do mine slightly different as I snell toward the bend the full length of the hook shank, then run the end back up and through the eye. The snelled wraps along the hook shank help keep the eggs in place IMO. "Six of 1, half dozen of the other" I suppose. I also use a short piece of egg yearn in the loop. The fiberous egg yarn get's caught up in the salmons teeth much like velcro and give you that extra second or two to set the hook before they can spit it. This little tip really increased my hoook up rate when I started using it years ago.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies.

1) Shawn - They are out of them?! Do you know a particular shop in Anchorage that may sell them?

2) Tradbow - I didnt fully understand how you explained it. I think Ill take you up on the pictures to describe what you were writing.

3) Alaskan fly guy - What is egg yarn? Is that the colored yarn I see in all the tackle shops? or is it different?

Thanks all for the responses. As Im going through all my books, internet articles, the ADG&F website, this forum and its old posts etc. Im realizing that the more I know, the more questions I have. Details like size hook, or how to tie a knot are all things that some take for granted, but is quite hard to figure out for a newbie. I would feel so bad to be on the bank of a productive river, seeing tons of guys bait fishing, then have to stop somebody to say: "hey, can you show me how to tie a knot??"

Well, maybe I wouldn't feel so bad asking if he already had his limit

Details details details...

Thanks again guys

I know you have plenty of time to figure it out before you get here but if all else fails you can buy pre rigged egg loops in almost any store in Alaska.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default tying to help...hehe

I found those drawings to be confusing and a slower method that can have the hooks facing any random direction.

My pic attempts to show what I think is a much faster way to tie egg loops that will leave the hooks in whatever position they are started in.

--

Insert the line through the eye from the front and begin wrapping.

3) Wrap as far as you want the egg loop to go... 4) Then here is where this differs than most. Put the line in through the back of the eye of the hook an inch or so.

5) continue wrapping same as before, 5-7 wraps. 6) pull the line through and your done.

To add a hook put the second hook where you want it and repeat process.

This is how I tie egg yarn to egg loops. Granny knot on loop itself.
    -
    I never use yarn. Maybe I should. I tie flies with it.

Awesome!!!

Thanks a million my man! There is no way I would have figured out how to do that.
    I didnt know you had to use so much yard neither. I thought you had to put 1/2 inch or something. Very helpful! Thanks

Reallly you dont normally want a really LONG piece of yarn...bulk is fine. To long and they'll short strike you. I like bulky baits for kings....be it globs of eggs, or a big ball of yarn.

Here are the pics I mentioned. One is a rubber maid full of leaders ready to fish. The second is one portion of one roll of leaders to give you an idea of the slits I cut into them.

I typically carry a back pack to the boat every morning with lunches and leaders if I need them, regs, liscense books, and my "black box" of halibut marks . Along with a few other things I may need through the day. I dont carry all of them to the boat at once...dont want them rusting and getting dull. Usually two on the boat is enough. I also tie troll leaders and mooching/back bouncing leaders.

I tie mine exactly as shown. I was taught a different way and though it works well, it's kind of a two left handed, stand on your head, holding your breath with your eyes closed deal.

Now hopefully this pic thing works....

Here they are....I hope .

I was just showing how to tie the yarn. You can cut it however long you want. I think I would go with an inch or so. Not enough to stick out the back of the hook it is tied to. The short end is about an inch and I would cut the long end to match.

Default Mis-Spoke

Sorry it took so long for me to get back....been on the road.

I mis-spoke on hook size that is a 4/0 NOT a 6/0.

You can usually pick those tools up at any good fly shop.

Good Luck Fishing