Thread: Distance from Bait Stand

Default Distance from Bait Stand

Just curious on what other bear baiters think the ideal distance that you should park your ATV from your bait stand is ? Does the smell of the fuel send up a warning flag to bears like it does deer ??

the best thing you can ever do is to have someone drive the ATV away from your bait after they bring you to the stand. Bears often figure out very quickly that the receding sound of the engine signals "all clear." If I didnt' have someone to drive the machine away, I would drive up to the bait, drop bait, then drive away a short distance and walk back to the stand... basically depending on terrain, a distance to where the sound will fade a bit. Walk quietly, alertly, and climb the stand very quietly!

I tend to agree that it is best to bring someone along to drive the ATV away. Bears get into a pattern around the bait station. If they hear you drive up on an ATV then hear the ATV drive away and they find food, they quickly adjust to this pattern. If there is something different, for example they hear you drive up and not drive away, the bears may not come in until they hear you drive off again...even if it is quite a few hours later.

My uncle did some bear baiting in Idaho and would sit behind his 4 wheeler parked about 30 feet from his bait. He did shoot some bears that way.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

The bear will "pattern you" to a certian extent. You might try honking your horn or doing something to ring a dinner bell before you stock the bait pile every time. They will learn that that means food, they will wait for the atv to drive avay for the "all clear" and go in and eat.

Just for fun take some of those hiking bear bells and ring them as you refill the bait. Then after baiting season is over post on a bunch of greenie websites the "sweet hiking spot you found" Don't forget to let them know that there are some of bears in the area so they make sure and bring their bear bells

Lujon

Now that's funny.

If there are two or more of you, if you stay close together, the sound of the first atv driving on to the next bait site will cover the sound of the second bike pulling over parking and quickly turning his motor off.

Bears can't count so the bear hears one atv coming and continuing on.

This way you can park close to your bait (200 yds)

We have done this often with a lot of success.

We have even used this idea where we thing the bear has picked a spot where he can monitor our coming and going. Two people go to the tree stand climb in and one climes aout and leaves and the bear thinks you are leaving.

Red face ATV

I do know bears love to eat rubber rafts and ATV seats. Be careful not to leave much bait stink on the four wheeler. Completely agree that bears will pattern you and the bait site, especially the bigger boars and sows with cubs. As in Jeremiah Johnson," walk behind the horse, an elk don't know how many feet a horse has." If that makes any sense to anyone.

Default I always drive in

and make a bunch of noise re-baiting and then drive out and walk back in. Sometimes bears are already there waiting! I've had bears in the back of my truck while hauling in some loads to the stand! I think they get programmed to the sound of food.