Thread: 375 Ackley, JRS

Default 375 Ackley, JRS

I know some guys who shoot the 375 Ackley. They tell me that they can also shoot 375 H&H out of guns chambered for this round. What kind of ballistics does the Ackley have, on average, out of your "standard" 24" bbl with a 300 grain bullet? Is the 375 Ackley the same thing as the 375 Improved? Also, what is the story with the 375 JRS? Is this another wildcat that allows you to fire the standard H&H out of it? What are the "standard" ballistics on it, assuming a 24" bbl and 300 gr bullet?

There are a few wildcats that are improved 375 H&H cases. The only one that will allow you to fire standard 375 H&H ammunition is the Ackley version. Ackley is the 375 H&H improved with 40 degree shoulder. There are others with no particular one offering better ballistics over the other.

The 375 JRS is named for John R Sundra and that one is the 8mm Rem mag neck to hold 375 bullets. The JRS, the AI and the others with different shoulder angles as well as the 375 Weatherby mag and the new 375 Ruger will shoot 300 grain bullets at about 2700 fps from a 24" barrel.

Probably the most practical of the bunch nowadays is the 375 Ruger. I have some grief with the case but it's ballistics are a welcome improvement and it is popular and available, or soon will be. If you find a rifle that you like chambered in one of the older wildcats and are a handloader, you could have a very fine hunting rifle. The added zip to the 375 helps for those long shots and doesn't seem to add any measurable recoil.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default and...

"The only one that will allow you to fire standard 375 H&H ammunition is the Ackley version"

and .... the 375 Wby.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    "The only one that will allow you to fire standard 375 H&H ammunition is the Ackley version"

and .... the 375 Wby.

Well, you're right about that. I was wrong. However the AI is designed to use the standard head to shoulder dimension for headspace for all the non belted calibers and that of course is the intent of the AI on the belted H&H case. But there is no head to shoulder dimension for headsapce on the belted H&H case. So there is and always will be some slop. There will not be such a close fit with the standard 375 H&H in the 375 Weatherby as the 375 H&H on the AI version. But you're right, the brass should fire form nicely in a properly chambered rifle.

I guess if I were a politician I could just say I mis-spoke but since I not so I will just have to be wrong. Rats!!

This reminds me, I am thinking once again about rechambering an extra 375 H&H rifle I have to either the 375 WBY or some other "improved" version. Hmmmmm!
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default only way

I have two 375 WBY - one on a Rem action and the other a Win pre64 and until recently that was the most expeditious way for me to come up with brass for these rifles...the necks would be a bit shorter that that shown in "official" reloading diagrams but no big deal so long as all were trimmed to the same length.

I really like the 375Wby and of course I just like the 375 cal.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS