Thread: Jean Lake & Upper Jean Lake

Default Jean Lake & Upper Jean Lake

Hi guys,

Im trying to find anything on these lakes but whenever I do a search, I end up getting a thread about 'Jean' who feeds those Homer eagles. I cant find anything on google neither.

Just wondering if anybody has fished 'upper Jean Lake' before. Just read there there may be some silvers in there at one point? End of July perhaps?

Thanks

Default I have fished it

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    Hi guys,

Im trying to find anything on these lakes but whenever I do a search, I end up getting a thread about 'Jean' who feeds those Homer eagles. I cant find anything on google neither.

Just wondering if anybody has fished 'upper Jean Lake' before. Just read there there may be some silvers in there at one point? End of July perhaps?

Thanks
    There are supposed to be landlockeds in there, but I think they've died out. Some years ago the F&G put a bunch of old Christmas trees in there to provide structure, but I don't think there is much for feed.

Apparently there was once a stream between the lower and upper lakes along with the intermediate lakes, but the '64 earthquake raised the land up and now they are unto themselves. Maybe Dogteam Lake was part of the system too.

I noticed that the state put a berm up where we used to drive into the trail head on Upper Jean. For some reason they don't want people there or on the west end of Lower (same thing). I have caught small rainbows on Lower and red salmon come up from the Kenai into that lake to spawn.

P.S. Check out Gunnar Pedersen's books for info on many lakes on the road system.

Wink

Thanks Sayak,

That book you referred by Gunnar Peterson is actually the one Im reading now. I dont know if they discuss Upper Jean in there but I know its mentioned in 'Flyfisher's guide to Alaska'. Im taking notes, lots of them, on timing the runs and this flyfisher's book actually writes there are "silver salmon in abundance'' in upper Jean but I cant find anything else on it.

Probably not worth trying if I cant even drive there I guess. Maybe the book is outdated a bit.

Thanks.

If anybody else knows anything about it, feel free to let me know.

Default Biscuit-

My guess is that they don't plant Upper anymore. I would think that if they were planting it, they would maintain access. Too bad, it is a beautiful little lake, and not far to get into even without the trail head (about 300 yards up/down hill). I have hauled an aluminum canoe up and down the slope, and have camped and hunted moose there as well.

If you want a lake that has plenty of smaller lake fish, try Kelly or Petersen, or perhaps Spirit (Elephant) Lake off of Strawberry Road (which is off the Kenai Spur Highway). Egumen Lake is only a short walk in from Sterling Highway and has plenty of fish but you would need a canoe or float tube to do any of these lakes justice. Petersen in particular has some very nice native (I think) rainbows, and you can drive right into it.

if you are interested about when lakes were stocked and with what you can check here
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...tocking.search
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.