Thread: Static charge messing with my scales

Default Static charge messing with my scales

I have 3 scales. Two are ballance beams and one is electronic.
    I weigh my charges at least twice.

Anyway, I was chasing the weight with the darn electronic scale that I use to verify the loads. The electronic scale has a little plastic dish that acts as a funnel.

NOW, whenever I get close to the scale with that plastic pan, the scale goes nuts. The powder has also started to stick to it via static charge. I keep trying to ground it out, but it will not discharge this darn static.

Has anyone tried using a dryer sheet to remove the staic charge?
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I have read before that a dryer sheet will work. There were some resent posts here about that.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default ".44 mag reload" thread

is where is saw the post about static. This is what was posted by another forum member:

Some suggestions I heard in the thread i mentioned in my earlier post (sorry, I don't remember where I saw it, but is was recent and most probably on Alaska Outdoors, Rugerforum, or AccurateReloading.com)

Humidify your workspace

Wipe down your equipment with a fabric softener sheet (inside and out)

Wrap fabric softener sheets around your equipment (or cloth lightly dampened with liquid fabric softener)

Install polonium cartridges in and around your equipment (find them at a photo specialty shop if you can find one that still does film)

Put an ozone generator or an ion generator in your workspace.

Load only in the summertime. (Sorry, I don't make them up, I just report what I find.)

I cannot vouch for any of these things personally, but they do have basis in science.

Larry (Lost Sheep)
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default fix for static

Just use the metal pan from one of your beam scales. The pan will probably fit just fine and there should be no problem with zeroing it out.

Default static fix

Went thru this with Lee dippers yrs ago and plastic funnels. Put a little Dawn dish soap in some warm water and dip the plastic pan in it, shake off the excess water and let air dry. Do not rinse it. This methed(sp) cleared up all my static problems.

Gun Runner

Ground the scale with a piece of wire from a bottom screw to metal.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Wash them with some dish soap. I read in a scale manual somewhere that's all you need to do. Or just quit using those charged powders.

This happens with my powder thrower once in awhile. I take some Static Guard cloths spray and spray it on a Kleenex, then wipe it all down with it. Takes care of the problem.

All I did was wipe the exterior of my RCBS electronic powder measure, and wipe the inside of the draft cover and metal pan with a Downy sheet. It worked perfectly.

I was told to do this by one of the nice ladies who answers the telephone at RCBS tech services.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Nitroman, if you could see the YOUNG LADY that awnsers the phone there you would probably offer to clean the whole building inside and out for nothing. Been there several times and have a hard time leveing the reception area.

Gun Runner

I...uhhh...have no answer for that.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...